Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to decide between these two colors. The wife loves the Steel Gray and would be very happy with me if I got it. We already have a Black Mica Protege5.

My concerns are that the Steel Gray may look like a "faded black" and not a natural and clean-looking new color. My concern with the black, however is that it will require constant care to look halfway decent and will swirl very easily. Would the steel gray require a significantly smaller amount of care to look clean as the black (ie, silver can be pretty dirty and still "look" clean)? I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with either color on these cars. I've owned a black car before and I love the look of a clean black car... it's just regal! Then again, I do plan on keeping this car for the long-term (6+ years) and it will be a daily driver here in California (lots of dust, very little rain during the summer).

I guess I'm just looking for comments on either color to help me decide, as I know this is a subjective issue. So rant/rave away, please!

thanks,
-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Steel Gray vs Onyx Black'

I'd go for the gray. Still quite a bit more work to keep it tidy than say, a silver one (like mine); but definitely easier than black.

Black is beautiful, but getting those swirles in the clear paint is unfortunately just a matter of time. Not much time either by my experience...:sarc And once they're there it's really not that beautiful anymore. Just my two cents.

The reason I chose silver was very much this maintenance thing. And also I likey the fact that, as you say yourself, it can look clean while it really is rather dirty.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your reply :)

Are swirls a problem in gray though? I know it's easier to clean than black, but I wonder if it is as impervious to the elements as silver is (in appearance)?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, grey is very forgiving to the dirt also, just like silver. Swirls could become a problem on dark grey though. But you have to see the car IRL before you can guess if it's a problem with that nuance or not.

All dark colors have the swirl problem. It's because scratches in clear paint actually appear white, and if they are on a dark bottom...yeah, you've figured.:sarc

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Grrr, I don't want to be forced into buying a silver car just because I'm going to have it for a long time though :) Everyone here has a silver car, it's like a plague!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Mine will be Onyx Black. A nice high-content pearl coat, claybar and wax three times a year, and it'll b perfect. And of course some high-quality care in between.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Where will you get the clear coat from? Just curious as I didn't think of this... might be a good idea. Do aftermarket clear coats really protect the paint well?

If I get black, I'll probably be investing in Zaino Brothers products too...

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, they are great. I let a car care shop put on a paint treatment. Makes the surface very smooth and strong. But my car is silver, so you'd benefit even more from one...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hmmm... I may look into this. Thing is, I really LOVE black cars but like you said, they look best when they are "perfect"... as soon as the swirls set in, it's just not the same anymore. Perhaps a combination of a durable clear coat treatment and Zaino's is the trick :)

Still have to check out a Steel Gray in person to see if I can stomach the color. If so, that is probably what I'll end up getting as my wife loves it (in pictures at least).

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, anything for the wife... Mine got to choose color on our old 626 -99 (dark blue metallic); so I got to choose this time. Silver is much more practical. (And it's a nice color too).

An idea for you: make sure you see the car in both sunlight and on a cloudy day. It may look nice in direct sunlight, but a bit dark when the light isn't so strong. That's how Titanium looked to me. Great in sunshine, but almost non-metallic gray on a cloudy day. (Wow, that rimed!):D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks for the tips man! I also would like to see both cars side-by-side to eliminate psychological side-efffects of visual memory (or lack thereof).

I've asked my dealer to alert me when both a black and steel gray model hit their shelves at the same time... hopefully that's not too far off!

thanks again,
-Alt

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Yes, anything for the wife... Mine got to choose color on our old 626 -99 (dark blue metallic); so I got to choose this time. Silver is much more practical. (And it's a nice color too).

An idea for you: make sure you see the car in both sunlight and on a cloudy day. It may look nice in direct sunlight, but a bit dark when the light isn't so strong. That's how Titanium looked to me. Great in sunshine, but almost non-metallic gray on a cloudy day. (Wow, that rimed!):D[/b]
That's why I took the titanium grey! The silver has a greenish, pearly shine on an overcast or rainy day. I quite didn't like that. On a sunny day it's nice though :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

nice, that pic looks like the u.s. glacier silver, anybody have good pics of the 'steel gray'?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Steel Gray vs Onyx Black'

Wow! I was having a very hard time trying to choose a color for my future M6 but those pics just sold me on the steel gray! Does it always look that good? :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Steel Gray vs Onyx Black'

Yes, just washed it this weekend and will get some more pics up soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

nice, that pic looks like the u.s. glacier silver, anybody have good pics of the 'steel gray'?[/b]
That is the steel gray. I've got glacier and it's so light that it's almost white.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts