Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned the Speed6 for about 6 months now and I am still having tremendous difficulty getting used to the driver's seat. It seems that I need to constantly adjust the seat, sometimes several times daily just to get comfortable.

I had a 6s for 3 years and that seat was somewhat uncomfortable as well, but I could always seem to find a perfect position with a lot of fiddling. But those seats were cloth and my Speed has leather. During hard driving through twisties, the car handles fantasically usually. My biggest problem is keeping my 175 pound ass planted in the seat. I seam to slide somewhat on the leather, and there isn't much support at the sides around the ribcage. To me, this affects my ability to drive the car properly because I am sometimes holding on to the wheel as much to stay in the seat, as well as keep the car on the road. I've heard the Subaru seats are much sportier & supporive, but I have never driven a WRX or STi.

I know this sounds funny, but what are some of the tactics you guys use? Do you brace yourself by pressing on the dead pedal with your left foot? Do you sit as upright as possible? Do you keep the steering wheel at the lowest position or most extended position? I realize everyone's body is different, but I'm aveage height (5"10" )and weight so it shouldn't be this difficult to find a sweet spot for comfort and performance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know this sounds funny, but what are some of the tactics you guys use? Do you brace yourself by pressing on the dead pedal with your left foot? Do you sit as upright as possible? Do you keep the steering wheel at the lowest position or most extended position? I realize everyone's body is different, but I'm aveage height (5"10" )and weight so it shouldn't be this difficult to find a sweet spot for comfort and performance.
[/b]
Gain weight!! :laugh:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm 6'-2", 190# and find the seats very comfortable. But, I have the Sport and so my seats are the cloth version. I have always disliked leather as it's always slippery to me and cold in the winter. I really like these cloth seats and was one of the reasons why I went with the Sport model.

As far as driving, I always keep my left foot on the dead pedal, unless shifting. I adjusted the seat bottom up a bit with the height lever and pulled the steering wheel towards me some. It did take about 1/2 hour to get things just right.

I'm glad my wife does not drive this car or it would be messed up everytime I get in it. :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
I bought the Sport in part for the seats... As to staying put, the best I was able to do with the (leather) Prelude was to wedge myself against one side or the other with my knee against the center tunnel and foot on the dead pedal. Didn't work when shifting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've owned the Speed6 for about 6 months now and I am still having tremendous difficulty getting used to the driver's seat. It seems that I need to constantly adjust the seat, sometimes several times daily just to get comfortable.

I had a 6s for 3 years and that seat was somewhat uncomfortable as well, but I could always seem to find a perfect position with a lot of fiddling. But those seats were cloth and my Speed has leather. During hard driving through twisties, the car handles fantasically usually. My biggest problem is keeping my 175 pound ass planted in the seat. I seam to slide somewhat on the leather, and there isn't much support at the sides around the ribcage. To me, this affects my ability to drive the car properly because I am sometimes holding on to the wheel as much to stay in the seat, as well as keep the car on the road. I've heard the Subaru seats are much sportier & supporive, but I have never driven a WRX or STi.

[/b]
Autocross/roadrace guys twist the seatbelt so it locks up. They may help you a bit.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Drive a sport too, don't seem to have that much of a problem, but at times I do use the dead pedal to support me a bit.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Gain weight!! :laugh:
[/b]
+1 haha i'm 6ft 210lbs and i have no problem with the seats. then again i also have the sport with the cloth seats and i love it!!! maybe scoot the seat up and adjust it a lil bit more upright with the steering wheel as low as you can get it without hitting your knees and use the dead pedal thats why its there... jsut a suggestion

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm 5'10" 180 lbs and love the seats. Only problem I ever had was after I let a friend drive it I had a hard time getting it back to where it was. But I fixed it and now its comfortable again. Never had any kind of problems when cornering hard with sliding in the seat. As for going forward in the seat, if the front of the seat is tilted up some, it should keep you from sliding where as if its tilted down, you may slide everywhere.

Other than that, i love the seats, and the heated front seats rule in this crappy cold weather.

·
Registered
979 Posts
That was one of the main facts I got the sport 2 I wiegh, 125 maybe soaking wet I woulda flung myself out the windows if I got leather!!!! ANyhow for tims how bout velcoring your ass in! lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
Autocross/roadrace guys twist the seatbelt so it locks up. They may help you a bit.
[/b]
+1

Pull the lap part tight and give a twist to keep it from coming undone. Used this in autocross all the time...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess that is one thing that I never under stood, why put leather seats in a sports car? They are meant to be driven hard and agressively, but it is hard to do so when you can't stay planted in the seat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 for the CG lock.

I used to modify the seats in my older cars, cutting seat foam out of the bottom of the seat or bending the side supports. In newer cars where I don't want to hack up the seat a CG lock works wonders. Between the CG lock, bracing against the dead pedal (that's what it's for), and keeping the seatback relatively upright I don't have any trouble sliding around.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That was one of the main facts I got the sport 2 I wiegh, 125 maybe soaking wet I woulda flung myself out the windows if I got leather!!!! ANyhow for tims how bout velcoring your ass in! lol
[/b]
skin sticks to leather so.....drive naked! after getting limo tint on your windows first of course.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm really starting to contemplate getting suede inserts put in the perforated sections. Not real sure if it would help the whole sliding thing, but it would look cool.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the seat but I wish it would slide back another couple of inches. Anyone have an idea how to do that?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm really starting to contemplate getting suede inserts put in the perforated sections. Not real sure if it would help the whole sliding thing, but it would look cool.
[/b]
My old Audi S4 had the sport interior, which included Alcantara inserts on the seats. The material is basically a synthetic suede which looks good and wears pretty well. It did help keep you in the seat much better than the regular leather used by Audi, which is very smooth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts