Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eh Guys,

well...here it goes...

i m startin a new club...the 950 n over...

yes...im talkin bout km per tank...

thats right...i have proof for all of u unbelivers...and yes...this can only be done in two other cars in NA...tdi jetta n tdi golf...neither of which was used for this trip...

let me set the scenario for u...

i m driving up from atlanta....for anyoen who has used i75 comin up to toronto, knows ther are a few "hill" ranges to be crossed in north TN n KY...

so at round 11am, i fill up in south TN to the very top...i always fill up at BP, n i use 89...and i mean the top...and i start driving...speed limit is 70mph down ther in the south, so i, bein a great citizen, do 80mph...yes i know, i was speeding...a little...within the acceptable limit it seems...cuz non cop pulled me over, even when i drove right past a radar trap...

so i m driving, n of course in Lexington KY i get stuck in construction traffic...which took 1.5hrs, to drive a whole 3mi....anywaz...so speed picked up again, for a whole 15mins...an then another jam...this time we moved faster, so only bout 30mins wasted...this is real stop n go traffic...stop to 0, speed up to 25 or so...back to 0...

so...i m driving...n my butt is startin to hurt....its totally num...but my car is not wantin to give me a reason to stop...cuz i have done 550km, n only hit the half tank mark...so i decided to keep goin, to see how far i can go...

so its bout 11pm, and i m drivin in MI on i75 almost in Detroit, still have not stopped...and my low fuel light comes on at 872.5km...so i get this wacky idea to drive thru detroit to the other side to see if i can hit 900km on the tank...which if course i easily do...and i keep driving up i94 towards port huron/sarnia border...(the only place i like crossing)....so, i m north of detroid already a good 20mins...and i keep driving bout 80mph...i get to about 948km, n i get scared...i mean, that fuel gauge is not totally empty, but i m not sure of where the gas station is....so i pull over to the firstt BP i find...and here are the results...

950km (590.30mi)
17.063gal (64.59L)

or for those who cant calculate...

6.8L/100km
34.6mpg

here are the pics to prove it...

by the way, i belive i could have hit 1000km, but i chickened out...cuz the gauge was not dead empty yet, as u can see in the pic...

so...my challenge to anyone...lets see how many other people can achieve this...lets have a new 950 n over club...n i m challengin myself as well...next time i m bringing a can with few gallons extra, n i m gonna push to limit....

and one more thing...to those who belive that it does not make a diff weather u run 87 or 89 or 91 on the I4....let me tell u...puttin 91, is useless...but puttin in 89, yelds great gas milege...much better then 87... the most i had ever gotten on 87 was 850km...

and yes the car does drive much smoother and has a much nicer power band, and ther is no "famous"throttle lag...

anywaz...it was a great weekend...too bad i had to miss out on mosport...but where i was...it was sunny n well above 27C most of the weeekend...so no complaints...also...had to be at a wedding...crazy kids gettin married ;) heheheheh

by the way, the ambient temp thru out the trip was between 27C down to bout 22C up in the MI area..

almost empty, but not totally...

here are the fill ups...the one in MI is the one to use for calculations...

anywaz...that was my great long weekend...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe you!

If I'm not mistaken, we should be able to do 6.9L/100 km according to manufacture specifications. I'm loving my I4.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Wow. Those are some amazing numbers. However, on our Trans-Canada trip we weren't even coming close... specially you with your lead-foot :).

Anyways, good work. Gotta plan a trip down to Cali sometime to see if I get similar numbers.

BTW, Serge... I've gassed up at that very same BP (at 23 Mile and I-94) several times. My bro lives in Macomb, which isn't far from there. I like BP too... good stuff.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know what u mean, zoomzoomfan....we could not even get close to that on the transcanada trip...dont know y tho....it was not the heavy foot...im sure of that, cuz my avg speed now, was much higher...and my accelerating was much more abusive now ;)

i think its the quality of gas...i mean, that is the only thing i can attribute it to...as well as the CAI...and i know the CAI makes a big enough diff...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
when you did your trans canada trip, you had the car LOADED with people and stuff you were moving... that would have weighed the car down which hugely affects mileage..

just so you know, the light comes on... dont worry about it.. i used to work in waterloo, 120km from my house.. light came on on the WAY to work one day, finished going to work, drove home and filled up at the sunoco around the corner from my house.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
when you did your trans canada trip, you had the car LOADED with people and stuff you were moving... that would have weighed the car down which hugely affects mileage..

just so you know, the light comes on... dont worry about it.. i used to work in waterloo, 120km from my house.. light came on on the WAY to work one day, finished going to work, drove home and filled up at the sunoco around the corner from my house.
[/b]
I will sue you if I run out of gas one day following your advice.

·
Registered
358 Posts
1FastM6 your thread has made me think. Is one brand or grade better than another? the best I did was 740 when the light came on. I started a poll. http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=59312

Besides gas grade/brand, I assume driving style has alot of merit. But you said you were speeding and in some bad traffic.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I dont think running low on fuel and having the light come on is such a good idea. you really dont need to do that to find out what ur mpg or L/100km is. being low on fuel will clog ur fuel filter faster and the life of the fuel pump will decrease

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I don't think I can reach that # with ATX
but I wouldn't surprised to be near that

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
u right, u dont need to run to dead bottom of tank to measure the L/km....but if u alwys run to dead bottom...u have no crap in there to get the fuel line dirty..cuz u always empty it, so dirt never accumulates...

·
Registered
412 Posts
nice. My best is about 850km. I average around 650 - 700km tho, which i'm pretty happy with, considering my driving style.

So the CAI actually has a noticable gas mileage difference when you're not constantly punching it? I always thought it was just theoretical.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
u right, u dont need to run to dead bottom of tank to measure the L/km....but if u alwys run to dead bottom...u have no crap in there to get the fuel line dirty..cuz u always empty it, so dirt never accumulates...
[/b]
Serge. I've heard the opposite. Dirt always settles at the bottom of the tank and if one continually runs the tank to near empty, one risks drawing that crap into the fuel pump and onwards.

That's what I was told.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zoomzoomfan...i kno everyone says dont drain to bottom of tank....

but i have 450,000km experience with constantly driving to dead empty...and i have not had any issues yet, between the last 2 cars...

so..theory says one thing...reality for me...is very diff...

in fact if i have a bad tank of gas, i will purposly drive til i know its all all gone...so when i put fresh fuel in...it will clean it up, and right away ther is a noticable diff...even in the way it idles....

so...theory dotn always match reality...i have many car experiences where the theory does not match with reality...i can email u few other cases if u wish...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
1fastm6

U can email me, I love getting email in my junk mail

1 - 20 of 36 Posts