Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so like other people on this forum with the mtx, i've been having problems with my starter right from the beginning. it makes a high pitched shrill after the car has been sitting for a while. i had a starter replaced at 3000 and 7000, and i'm overdue for another one at 17k. apparently this is all due to clutch dust.

so my thoughts are this (keep in mind i'm still a n00b):

i was wondering if theres a way to fabricate a shield for the starter to keep the dust from getting in it. i don't know if this a viable option becasuse a) i have no idea what the starter looks like, and b) i have no idea where it is.

if anybody has any pictures of the starter and where i could find it (or thoughts on the shield itself) that'd be awesome.

i reason i want to do this is cuz the starter doesn't actually go bad, it's just an annoying noise to have on a new car, and i feel like a shield to at least partially block the dust would help out.

if this is an option, i was thinking i could talk to the dealership (partyka) when i get back to school to see if we could do it while it's in the shop.

i dunno, lemme know what you guys think.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
It's good that you admit you have no idea what a starter looks like or wher eit is. :)

The starter is attached directly to the outside of the transmission. It sits right on top of the flywheel. There is a hole in the transmission where the gear on the starter sticks through, and this gear is on top of the flywheel. When you start the car this gear spins, spinning the flywheel, which turns over the motor and gets is started.

Here's a picture from my clutch swap:

The transmission is that big housing on the bottom left. The clutch is next to it, and the flywheel is on the far right.

Notice right at the top of the transmission, a little bit to the left of center, is a hole on the outside. You can see it because there is clutch dust around it on the otherwise clean exterior. This is where the starter sits. As you can see, there is clutch dust all over the inside of the transmission there and it gets out through that hole where the starter is laying. Obviously, since it's inherent to the design that the starter be open to the clutch/flywheel, it's not possible to seal it off in any way.

The starter, if you're curious, is above the flywheel on that picture laying between the subframe and passenger-side halfshaft. On the upper-left side of it where its' dirty, is where the gear is. It engages the teeth that are all around the flywheel (again, on the bottom right).

All you can do for the sound is just deal with it. That or replace the starter at the same time you replace the clutch with something that dusts considerably less.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good that you admit you have no idea what a starter looks like or wher eit is. :)

The starter is attached directly to the outside of the transmission. It sits right on top of the flywheel. There is a hole in the transmission where the gear on the starter sticks through, and this gear is on top of the flywheel. When you start the car this gear spins, spinning the flywheel, which turns over the motor and gets is started.

Here's a picture from my clutch swap:

The transmission is that big housing on the bottom left. The clutch is next to it, and the flywheel is on the far right.

Notice right at the top of the transmission, a little bit to the left of center, is a hole on the outside. You can see it because there is clutch dust around it on the otherwise clean exterior. This is where the starter sits. As you can see, there is clutch dust all over the inside of the transmission there and it gets out through that hole where the starter is laying. Obviously, since it's inherent to the design that the starter be open to the clutch/flywheel, it's not possible to seal it off in any way.

The starter, if you're curious, is above the flywheel on that picture laying between the subframe and passenger-side halfshaft. On the upper-left side of it where its' dirty, is where the gear is. It engages the teeth that are all around the flywheel (again, on the bottom right).

All you can do for the sound is just deal with it. That or replace the starter at the same time you replace the clutch with something that dusts considerably less.
[/b]

thank you for the information mr. sigma. i'll throw my car up on ramps later in the week to kinda get a feel for everything on the car as opposed to your basment floor (assuming i can see everything).

would i be same in assume that a ceramic aftermarket clutch (such as clutchmasters) would dust less? i have no idea what our clutches are composed of.

i'll try and find that thread about the starter problem so you guys can see where i got my info from.

thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes this is a known problem, there have been a few threads on it. I have had 4 starters in my car for it. Dealerships dont seem to care. Not really a way to shield it that I can think of. You might be able to make a whole for the dust to exit. Lots of older cars had a small shield that covered the flywheel, if you took that shield off you had lots of air blowing around it. Downside is you also have water and gunk... HEHE

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have the same problem like he said it doesnt do any damage its just annoying. i actually pulled mine out the other day when we were slow at work cleaned it out. noise went away for a couple of days then came back. nothing you can do about it just deal with it. the only way you can actually look at the starter yourself is to remove the airfilter box/ intake pipe. the battery and the battery tray. then a its directly under the intake plentum. two bolts holding it on and one nut hold the power wire on. it took me about 45 minutes to remove it clean it smoke a ciggarrette and reinstall it. Not a difficult task but like i said a waste of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts