Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the starter relay the same as the ignition relay. and does St. relay in the fuse box stand for starter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I'm resurrecting this old (unanswered) thread because I had the same question. Turns out the St. Relay does control the starter.

Story: My car wouldn't start yesterday morning -- the battery was fine and all of the accessories (headlights, radio, etc.) were working fine, but the starter wouldn't engage when I turned the key all the way to start. A few minutes later it started right up. At 4:00 as I was getting ready to pick up a date(!) to drive to East Lansing for a show, my car wouldn't start. I had to call my date and ask her to drive - how embarrassing is that?

Anyway, this morning I had the time to search through these forums and I narrowed the problem down to either a sticky relay or a corroded power wire to the starter. I swapped the St Relay with my Bose Relay (which was pretty safe since I don't have a Bose system) and the car started right up. I pulled the St relay and no start. So, I'm crossing my fingers that I just had a sticky relay.

So, if you have power but your starter doesn't work, try putting in a new St Relay (or swap it with another just to check). On the other hand, if your car won't start and your gauges are going crazy, that's the sign of a dying battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok so then whats up with this one?

battery replaced. relay checked.

starter just clunks, does nothing.

but if ya jump it at the solenoid the motor spins, sounds similar to aim in a drill up in the air and holding the trigger (so starter spins)

as soon as you engage it via the key. NOTHING.

but the motor isnt seized. was able to turn it with a wrench. saw the timing chain and cam pulley on the battery side move. so i cant see the motor being stuck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so then whats up with this one?

battery replaced. relay checked.

starter just clunks, does nothing.

but if ya jump it at the solenoid the motor spins, sounds similar to aim in a drill up in the air and holding the trigger (so starter spins)

as soon as you engage it via the key. NOTHING.

but the motor isnt seized. was able to turn it with a wrench. saw the timing chain and cam pulley on the battery side move. so i cant see the motor being stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts