Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't take it any longer... I really got sick of the brown and tan interior in my O3 and decided to dye all of the dark brown vinyl sections to flat black. I removed and finished the door panels last weekend and am really pleased with the tan & black look. I plan to do the dash over the weekend and I'll post more pics when completed. Here is a comparison of the door panels before reassembly.

Metropartsmarket.com has a full selection of vinyl dye and prep chemicals for restoring interiors.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I couldn't take it any longer... I really got sick of the brown and tan interior in my O3 and decided to dye all of the dark brown vinyl sections to flat black. I removed and finished the door panels last weekend and am really pleased with the tan & black look. I plan to do the dash over the weekend and I'll post more pics when completed. Here is a comparison of the door panels before reassembly.

Metropartsmarket.com has a full selection of vinyl dye and prep chemicals for restoring interiors.
[/b]
dye you say? mine is grey and black and was thinking about painting all the grey out. post pics I'm definately curious on how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Leather/vinyl dye is different than paint. More prep time, and 3-4 coats minimum, but it supposedly will not chip or scratch ever. I'm only doing the vinyl sections, leaving the tan cloth sections the stock color.

The doors are done, but the top of the dash is still brown. I don't know what Mazda was thinking of putting this dark brown in as a 3rd color in the interior... I'll take some real pics with a real camera when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The 2005 Tan Interior is a Tan/Black combo and NOT a tan/brown combo -- looks MUCH better IMO. The redfire in my sig has this combo.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
looks real good. keep us up to date with this. i hate my tan/brown combo and if this works out i might do this so i could get black and tan seats from leatherseats.com

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Very excited to see full results. I have the same tan and shit brown interior. Would love to go all black! Had been planning to find a junked 6 and strip in the interior.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow. Looks like quite an undertaking, but also looks like it is well worth it.

Looks like a great improvement TwoWheelin! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Props to you for taking this on. From the pix, it looks very nice. I'm sure you have started a trend.
Way to go! :yesnod:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Nice job, easy to do?

Can't wait to see results. Mine is all black.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
give some instructions for those of us that are wanting to do this. if you do, it should probaly be stickied.

i'm still very undecided on how i am going to change the interior color of my car. painting sounds like it would be much more work than just dying it.

how long did it take for just one door? and how many coats of dye did you use? looks bood, btw! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow man! Thanks for all the props!! :) I'll start working on a step by step. This is a big job, but can be broken up into 2-3 hour chunks. The dash is the biggest, most important piece and I'm still thinking of different ways to do this without screwing it up :headscrat: The tan/black look of the doors is definately an inspiration to keep going though.... I noticed Mazda dropped the brown in later model years and 'better' interior trim levels. (No wonder.... :sarc: )

how long did it take for just one door? and how many coats of dye did you use? looks bood, btw! :thumbup: [/b]
A door can be removed in about 10 Min. Figure about 15 Min. worth of masking and covering, 10 minutes for cleaning and prepping the vinyl. There is vinyl prep spray that takes a 1/2 hour, then you have 4 coats of dye with 15-20 minutes between coats... Figure about 2 hours per door + 1 hour to dry before reassembly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
looks great! u think the black dye will match the already black dash, regarding color? i want to change my black and grey door panels and dash to full black, but dont want the blacks to contrast too much. and will it work on the cloth part of the door panel? just a queston for us black and grey guys

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks great! u think the black dye will match the already black dash, regarding color? i want to change my black and grey door panels and dash to full black, but dont want the blacks to contrast too much. and will it work on the cloth part of the door panel? just a queston for us black and grey guys
[/b]
Thanks! My upper dash was shit brown so I'm dyeing it black the same as the doors I just finished. One minor matching issue is the brown vents and steering column cover which are plastic and unsuitable for dyeing. I am using plastic primer and flat black paint there so hopefully it will match up fairly well. I'm doing the vents today/tonight and should be ready for the dash next weekend when it stops raining. (The dye can't be used when humidity is over 60% so I'll have to wait out this crappy weather... :irate:

They have about 5 different shades of black dye, but I knew I didn't want shiney so I went with a color that was considered 'flat black' (Corvette flat black actually.) If your interested in a sample I'll send you a couple of sprays I have left in the bottom of one of my cans... (Check out http://www.metropartsmarket.com/ for preparation and application instructions.)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
how do you even get a huge dash like that out?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Anyone know if the A,B and C pillar covers can be removed in cars with the side curtain airbags? It would be nice if I could get them to match the black dash when my new headliner goes in.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
23 Participants
bry
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing