Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the information below? The company can start designing a harness for the ecu once they recieve this information.

Email: We have not seen the header plug yet and wiring schematics. If you can send me a picture of the header plug from the factory ecu, that will be a start.

Company link www.hydraems.com

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are going to release an ecu for the new miata and rx8 so I'm hoping they will be able to do ours as well. There is more of a reason to do the speed6 vs a regular six so maybe they will do it.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
how is it gonna be better to make a product for a car that will only be produced for a year, and is not geared as a sports car? if there was one for the V6, they would sell more in 3 months than for the speed6 in a full year!

....by that i mean good luck, hope things go through!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
how is it gonna be better to make a product for a car that will only be produced for a year, and is not geared as a sports car? if there was one for the V6, they would sell more in 3 months than for the speed6 in a full year!
....by that i mean good luck, hope things go through!
[/b]
Quoted for the truth.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.
MrTea Posted Today, 09:59 AM
how is it gonna be better to make a product for a car that will only be produced for a year, [/b]
Below are some of the ecu's that hydra makes:
1. NSX (very low sales on this car)
2. Skyline GTR
3. WRX (Just putting on the finishing touches 4 years after the car was released)(tons of other ecu options)
4. Neon SRT Turbo
As you can see some of these cars have low sales. The WRX has high sales and there are tons of aftermarket ecu's but they still desided to make one. A lot of companies develope aftermarket ecu's on stock turbo'd cars as a customer can usually see good power gains and justify the cost of purchasing.

and is not geared as a sports car?[/b]
My car is classified as a sports sedan, just like a wrx/legacy gt etc. It doesn't have to be a sports car for them to make an ecu. For instance they make an ecu for the Matrix and Corolla.

if there was one for the V6, they would sell more in 3 months than for the speed6 in a full year! [/b]
How many V6's owners are willing to dump 1600 for an ecu that give's them small gains. A turbo'd car would most likely see higher gains.

Corksport does sell the unichip for the V6, unsure if it's any good though.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
...heads up, i don't think any speed6 owner is dropping 1600 anytime soon on their car. just my thoughts on it? i think it's gonna be pushing it to see 800-1k for the fmic and see the sales go with those.

you didn't specify "more of a reason to do the speed6" so thought you meant sales. if you would have said they work on factory turbo cars so this would be a good product, i would have agreed.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's kind of weird how they have chosen some cars that arent factory turbo and they have chosen some cars that are low production numbers. I'm not sure why this is but I would like to see them release an ecu for all versions of the 6.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Id rether get a ECU first, if your going to get a FMIC, your going to need to be retunned anyways or you wont see any benefits other than the cooling. ECU first FMIC next.

·
Registered
214 Posts
...heads up, i don't think any speed6 owner is dropping 1600 anytime soon on their car. just my thoughts on it? i think it's gonna be pushing it to see 800-1k for the fmic and see the sales go with those.

you didn't specify "more of a reason to do the speed6" so thought you meant sales. if you would have said they work on factory turbo cars so this would be a good product, i would have agreed.
[/b]
I dunno, I'm paitiently waiting for a standalone.... we're buying all of these bolt on parts, yea they are giving us power, but they aren't being used to their potential and possilby neither is the motor

Id rether get a ECU first, if your going to get a FMIC, your going to need to be retunned anyways or you wont see any benefits other than the cooling. ECU first FMIC next.
[/b]
I think there is defintely performance aspects of a FMIC (cooler temperatures is a good thing! and also the chances of a few psi of boost dropping is also pretty good)... I would definetly put all of the parts you want on your car and then get it tuned or else these parts aren't running tuned with your car.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
my basic train of thought, is get the bolt ons that won't harm the car if installed. they will give you good bumps in power, but won't make you run to lean (don't see that happening on the speed) or rich...and so forth. once you've got most of your parts, then get an ecu. most owners get there car tuned, rather than tune their car. just like i wouldn't paint a bumper if i was planning on getting side skirts in a couple months...but if i painted em myself, it wouldn't be a problem. if you pay for tuning (*and ecu) you are better off waiting until other mods are spent, so you can really enjoy all your mods in unison.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very true. I tuned the miata and it's not as bad as people think though. The lamda option pretty much learns itself and they you can manually adjust the timing. It is definetly worth tuning everything at once though as the dyno fees can add up.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I do not know about bolt-on's 1st. I bet their is 20hp to gain just in some aggressive tuning with stock parts. I really think they are fooling around with the timing on these things to help from grenading the motor and to hopefully get 100,000 miles out of these things.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If I remember correctly there is a around 20% of boost that we never see as the wastegate valve duty value peaks out at 80%@5500rpm.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i have mine set to peak at 80% as well, doesn't mean i should be going to 100%. sometimes the cushion is for the best in those cases. cooling down the air/charge temps, increasing exhaust flow/velocity will all be starting mods before trying to up boost. you should be able to increase a good chunk without having to up the actual WG duty.

i do agree that tuning off the bat would be great. but if you pay 1600 for an ecu, then pay a couple hundred for dynotuning...then get an intake...couple hundred for dynotuning...then exhaust...couple hundred for dynotuning...

if you deplete the basics first, you'll save money and still see gains along the way.

now given, i have done all the tuning on my car from the start tune, and adjust it on my own every week to get it the way i like it. for those people the options are endless, but many aren't there yet.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but many aren't there yet.[/b]
I adjust mine all the time also. But as you said many aren't to that point and I have seen a guy with a WRX blow his engine not knowing what he was doing. Ooops!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
watdog
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing