Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed a problem with my shift boot...the color has changed slightly and it is greasy even after repeatedly wiping it. it seems that the boot likes to crease and sit against part of the shifter thats covered in lubricating oil etc. im guessing its gotta be pretty saturated from the bottom because it continually is oily on top.

anyone else notice this yet??

here's a pic for reference. btw, im guessing it may be common as this pic isnt mine, but from an ebay auction for a car with the same natural crease to the boot. i know i could just pull the boot out and move it around, but it always falls back into that same position.

[attachmentid=15396]

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
noticed a problem with my shift boot...the color has changed slightly and it is greasy even after repeatedly wiping it. it seems that the boot likes to crease and sit against part of the shifter thats covered in lubricating oil etc. im guessing its gotta be pretty saturated from the bottom because it continually is oily on top.

anyone else notice this yet??

here's a pic for reference. btw, im guessing it may be common as this pic isnt mine, but from an ebay auction for a car with the same natural crease to the boot. i know i could just pull the boot out and move it around, but it always falls back into that same position.

[attachmentid=15396]
[/b]
yes i get that all the time but on the opposite side to the right of the shifter. I wipe it but it comes back. I don't know WTF it is. I thought it might have been leather treatment from when i picked up the car or something.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
if you look under the shift boot you would find that the shifter is heavily greased....with clumps of grease in certain places. it's obviously seeping through in these particular cases, and its not suprising - there can be alot of lube down there - hehe. you could remove that part of the lower console and wipe away the excess grease if you want i suppose (the plastic trim just pulls off). or you could just ignore it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
it's the grease. when i took my console apart i noticed an excessive amount of grease under there. i just wiped some if it off so it didn't come in contact with the boot.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I also have some on the other side (passenger side).

The *thing* that holds the shift boot in placeis also falling out of place,won't hold too well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I noticed this also a while back. I am going to wait til it needs replacing so I can get a new boot and have them wipe up the extra grease under warranty. There was another thread on this Click Here

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just noticed the same thing on mine today. It appears on the left side of the shifter.
[/b]

Holy old thread, Batman!

Mine is still pretty bad, and I think it cracked a little. I'll just have it replaced under warranty in a bit

·
Registered
310 Posts
got the same stuff in the same spot..dont think im going to replace it tho.. doesnt bother me too much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts