Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it not a good idea to have staggared wheels? Like having 18x8 up front and 18x9 in the rear?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is it not a good idea to have staggared wheels? Like having 18x8 up front and 18x9 in the rear?
[/b]
If your car was rear wheel drive, it would be. Wider up front for track use might make sense in some situations for a vehicle that is front wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If your car was rear wheel drive, it would be. Wider up front for track use might make sense in some situations for a vehicle that is front wheel drive.
[/b]

ditto. talk to stretch, he used to run wider tires up front when he autoX'd

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya , but for just daily driving is it ok? and would 18x9 be to big and rub?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ya , but for just daily driving is it ok? and would 18x9 be to big and rub?
[/b]
Absolutely that would rub. It's hard enough getting a 7.5 to fit! Maybe with a severe pull on the fenders you could do it (or widebody), but you're not going to be able to throw 9" rims on there and have it work right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Abert's turbo widebody 6 has 18x8/9 I think... either way it is staggered. Not sure what modification, I'm sure there was, was needed to get them on, but his look great. Daily driver as well ;)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
The 350Z understeers with a staggered setup, and that's RWD. I shudder to think of the possibility of increased understeer on a FWD car.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0404scc_350z/

A neutral, rear-drive car should be easily balanced mid-corner with the throttle. Lift off the gas and the tail should step out slightly. Ease onto the gas and the front tires should slowly start to slide. In a properly balanced car, the transition to oversteer is so gradual and predictable you can hang the car right on that transition point as long as you want. The Sport Package Miata, the third-generation RX-7, and, surprisingly, the current Mustang Cobra all exhibit this outstanding balance.

With powerslides on demand, it's easy to be fooled into calling the 350Z's handling neutral. It isn't. Unless you're spinning the rear tires, it's difficult to get anything but the fronts to do any work. Smooth driving is almost always rewarded with understeer, and if you can coax the rear out at high speed, it usually goes with a snap. Driving a Z at 7/10 is rewarding and, frankly, too fast for most roads. But on that rare road where you have the visibility, the flow and the sparse traffic to really flog it, a stock Z can be frustrating. Throttle inputs have minimal effect on the car's attitude and the front tires take all the punishment. Many a twisty road attack has ended with us wishing for that elusive neutral balance.

Here's how we found it: Look closely at the 350Z's suspension and there's only one obvious reason why it shouldn't be balanced--the front tires are smaller than the rears. This may seem a laughably naive question, but why? Two reasons: It looks tough and it makes the lawyers happy.

Screw the lawyers.
[/b]

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Abert's turbo widebody 6 has 18x8/9 I think... either way it is staggered. Not sure what modification, I'm sure there was, was needed to get them on, but his look great. Daily driver as well ;)
[/b]

Not sure what modification?!?! :wtf:

Dude, you even typed WIDEBODY in there. That's the mod. Otherwise it'd be eating his fenders alive.

Gain some sense my friend!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
LOL... I typed that at 11pm.

But damn, 19x8/10.

Is there anyone else with a similar setup?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Sometimes I think Pathik has absolutely no idea what is going on. :slap: How the hell are you a sponsor?

Either you are just an airy and clueless person, or you are high all the time. I cant decide which but I seem to smack my head every other post of yours I read.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Philter25
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing