Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed today that when I slowly turn left I get a squeel coming from the front axle. It sounds like a brake squeel and I do not have my foot on the brake. It only happens when I turn left, not right. I just now noticed it because today was warm enough to keep the windows down and I went into a drive through and heard it when I left. I then drove around and it happened most of the time when I turned left, but not always. Any ideas on what this could be? Anyone have this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's a known issue in most years. There's a bulletin out on it. Do a search and your dealer should fix it. I believe it's an issue with the brake pads. Mine were replaced at 25K miles because of it.

That should be your problem, though it's usually described more as a groan.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a similar problem...a squeel only when turning left while engaging the clutch. It sounds like a belt-related squeel, but the odd timing confuses me. ONLY happens at slow speed, when warm, while letting the clutch pedal out. Must be a hard turn to make it squeel (not to the stoppers, just enough to be considered a sharp corner (again, only while slipping the clutch for the turn in first gear).

Any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciaed.

W

·
0 Posts
This was happening to me on the front passenger-side wheel a few months ago. Brought it in and it was a bent brake shim, covered under a TSB. Now the same thing is happening on the driver-side. Getting it fixed when I go in for my 24k maintenance along with my noisy fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Mine makes a loud squeel noise (which is annoying) anytime I turn HARD like in to a parking spot left or right while putting the breaks on. THe dealer said they was unable to recreate the problem to fix it and that my pads where fine and I was charged $20 for them looking at the break pads since they found "nothing wrong"...The funny thing was. it did it while I was leaving and I was told (which they have told me many times) it does not matter if it does it while I am in the car only a technical service member is allowed to diagnose something while they are driving or testing the car. so they said they could not take it squeeling while I was driving it as something covered in warrenty since the tech was unable to recreat the same thing himself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cv joints might be going out.

that's probably not the cause of it, but i know it was always a problem in my previous FWD cars.
[/b]

It is the brake mounting hardware (the little sheet metal holding clips). Been there and done that. Go look in the Brakes room and look for a thread talking about LOUD squealing noises. The parts are only $8 for both front wheels.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Zoom Zoomer

I've also been there and done that. The brake-clip hardware was replaced several times. Each time the symptoms went away but returned within 6-10 weeks or so.

The real fix(for me) was this Technical Service Bulletin:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=811

My advice is to go directly to your dealer and ask him to perform the TSB. It involves installing revised pads and turning the rotors. If the problem is being caused by something else they will tell you and fix that. If your car is still under warranty it won't cost a cent of course.

I had the same screeching noise on turning at low speeds. This TSB cured it. I've been symptom free for nearly 8 months now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just picked up my car from the dealer today for this..it is most likely the shims as stated before. Mine was HORRIBLE, reversing, turning, everything, I had a godawful squeel. I have an 05 as well, which is techinically not part of the TSB but they did not question it at all

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took mine apart myself and figured it out because the twit-knob dealers said it would NOT be covered by warranty. There was noooooo way I was going to waste a bunch of time at the dealer and get bent over while I was at it.

What's causing the squeal, is that the brake clip hardware is simply shifting sideways in the caliper and rubbing against the rotor. The reason the clips shift is because the little tabs get bent over and allow it to shift. I do not see where resurfacing the rotor will ever have an effect on a re-occurance of hardware shifting except for maybe in some really horrible situations which chatter the pads back and forth all the time, in which case you will would have a nasty case of brake pedal feedback.

If you have aluminum wheels which allow viewing the caliper, you can get a good look at the sides of these clips w/o removing the wheels. Rotate the wheel and look carefully at the sheet metal clips on either leading or trailing side of the pads. If you do not see a little tab bent around to contain the clip, then there is probably your problem.

The hardware kit has been revised to a revision "D", which means the previous versions either had problems or they found a less expensive manufacturing method. In light of the problems we are reporting, I think we can safely believe that the previous versions had service issues. With this in mind, if the dealer were replacing the old crap parts with new crap parts, well guess what you can expect.

Good luck with the brake repairs, guys. I am very confident that I have located the source of my brake squeals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the noise when I am making turns. So, I brought mine in for oil change and ask the dealer to check on the noise. Of course, they said they found nothing. After I called them two times, they said I have to go for a road test with their people. I dropped my car off in the morning before work, and they did nothing until I called them in the afternoon. Not even the oil change. When I got there after work, their manager went for a road test with me. First, I thought I am doing the driving, instead he drove my car. Once, I stepped in my car, I opened the window and turned off the air conditioning. He even asked me if I have to open the window to hear the noise. Isn't this common sense? I hope they didn't blast my radio when they did the road test. No wonder why they found nothing. Finally, he figured out the noise came from the front brakes. He had their technician replaced the shims. Since, they were loosen and scratching the rotary. I wasted one hour there, which can be avoided if they take customer complaint seriously. They mentioned Mazda may send me a survey, hopefully I can rate them "outstanding service". You know what, I guess it will not be the case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem when turning left. Took it in for an oil change at 16,000 km and told them about the problem. After a road test the mechanic could not duplicate the problem with the brake. I mentioned all the similar problems from this forum and the service advisor decided to look for a TSB. He found one from 2004 and decided that even though mine is an 05 he would go ahead and change the front pads and hardware. So far no problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I JUST got this problem fixed. I dont have my receipt at hand but they said fist they replaced some belt...but that didnt get rid of all the squeeling. Then they said they replaced something involving the power steering and that took care of the rest. I am now 100% sound free when I turn and it was all warranty covered w00t. haha. Ill try to get my receipt and be more specific tomorrow.

Stephen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
swaerig
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing