Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently (about 2 1/2) months ago bought a 2007 Mazda 6I sport and i noticed a few weeks ago a slight croaking sound whenever I turn the wheels slow. I didn't do anything about it and it went away but now it's making a weird squeeling sound and whenever I hit a bump the front makes a squeaky sound as well. Any clue what the cause is?

·
Registered
2014 Grand Touring
64 Posts
On a car of that age I suggest take a day and get in there and look over all the suspension and steering components.
Look for deteriorated rubber bushings, excessive play in any linkages, leaking shocks, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a car of that age I suggest take a day and get in there and look over all the suspension and steering components.
Look for deteriorated rubber bushings, excessive play in any linkages, leaking shocks, etc.
Yea, yesterday I just did an oil change on it, it was a little shorter interval than it should be but I noticed the oil was low I wish I would've taken a look at the shocks while I was under it. It was making the sound before I changed the oil though. But I'll definitely look into that, or have my mechanic look into it. Hopefully it's an easy at home fix. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
My car had some weird front end noises, had my local mazda tech check it out and the fix was super easy. Turned out to be the telescoping column binding. Just release the wheel and pull it in and out ten times or so to redistribute the grease.

·
Rally Racer
3,038 Posts
Most of those noises on the 1st gen are from faulty suspension components like @TalonTsi90 stated. Those front lower rear control arms are frequently the culprit. I replaced all 3 per side. When you add a new part it transfers the stress and causes accelerated failure of the old parts. I believe it was @bluedevil6 that replaced all his components with a set from DetroitAxle for pretty cheap with good results.
Ford Mazda Lincoln Mercury Front 6 Piece Control Arm with Ball Joint Set TRQ PSA62832
The above seems like a reasonable set.

The Mazda 6's also had two different strut hats. There is a variety with a thrust bearing (mine dissolved in place) and one without. I tried for weeks to just get the thrust bearing but could not source one in the end. I used a Moog product for that location.

Make sure you add the final torque with all suspension components at their settled ride height. You will need to keep the bottom of the strut fork disconnected until it is all tightened but it will prevent those new rubber bits from tearing prematurely.

@banzairx7 also brings up a good point. There was a service bulletin about the telescoping steering splines. This was the last little clunk I felt when turning and going up a curb cut. I can't stand any tolerance in my steering so I had to remedy that one in the end. I used a product from Energy Suspension called Formula5. You will absolutely want to use a disposable glove to put this stuff on because it is the most tenacious lubricant (perfect for urethane squeaks) I have ever seen and I used to test industrial lubricating products professionally.

Front Suspension Failure Points.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just recently (about 2 1/2) months ago bought a 2007 Mazda 6I sport and i noticed a few weeks ago a slight croaking sound whenever I turn the wheels slow. I didn't do anything about it and it went away but now it's making a weird squeeling sound and whenever I hit a bump the front makes a squeaky sound as well. Any clue what the cause is?

Yes. I have a 2003 6s and have had the same problem, especially when the weather turns cold. The good news it is an inexpensive and relatively easy fix. The primary problem(s) is your rubber bushings/spacers of your front suspension and steering. Crawl under your car, ideally when it is jacked up off the ground so that your suspension is fully extended and spray white lithium grease into all spaces that you can find that comprise of rubber/spacers. Your upper/lower A-arm joints and tie rods all have rubber bushings that can be lubed. The lower A-arm rubber was the culprit on mine. It gets rid of the squeaking/croaking and other noises for about a year or more. White lithium has better endurance than thinner penetrating oils. Also make sure you wear eye protection. When spraying into tight spaces, the oil stream is surprisingly unpredictable!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have this exact issue on my 2005 6s right now. I'd describe it as a squeak on the passenger front but it's intermittent. It started as a steering noise, but I believe it's actually related to something else in the suspension because I can push down/up on that side and also make it squeak.
Are there any other exploded views of the parts/components in this area?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have this exact issue on my 2005 6s right now. I'd describe it as a squeak on the passenger front but it's intermittent. It started as a steering noise, but I believe it's actually related to something else in the suspension because I can push down/up on that side and also make it squeak.
I had to replace the parts i listed, that will fix this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may be correct, however your control arms, etc... flex up and down with your struts and suspension. IMHO it's probably still your A-arms/control arms. Your strut/shock could making the noise in which case you would have to replace it. Like I said, I have remedied the problem multiple years cheaply and easily. Good luck.

·
Rally Racer
3,038 Posts
Keep in mind that making the squeaks and sounds go away does not necessarily remedy the tracking and alignment issues that may present with faulty or damaged suspension bushings. If you don't want to drop a dime or time then saturating with lube may the best way to go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Keep in mind that making the squeaks and sounds go away does not necessarily remedy the tracking and alignment issues that may present with faulty or damaged suspension bushings. If you don't want to drop a dime or time then saturating with lube may the best way to go.
Yes. Excellent point. This is a quick and inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I lithium lubed the heck out of everything and couldn't even get lucky enough to have that be a stop-gap fix! LoL! The noise is still there.
Now that I've been under there and seen the convoluted system along with the diagrams and some great videos from 1A Auto Parts on YouTube, I should be able to take a crack at this in the spring. I think I'll do the whole struts, as well. Then I can be angry at myself for not doing it years earlier so I had more time to enjoy the improvements!
I have to deal with the CEL's I have in that other thread as a more urgent issue, first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts