Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has an idea what sound I'm getting. The day after we installed the shortshifter and the day after the snow storm I started getting this squeaking/rubbing sound coming from the drivers side near my intake I think. The sound only happens when I accelerate quickly ... lets say I let off the gas and press it down a bit to accelerate that sound would happen, only for a second though and only when I push the pedal to give it gas. If I slowly accelerate it wouldn't happen. Do you think it's the intake? Since I don't want to take it to the dealer and they would say it's my intake and maybe charge me for their time?

I took a look at the intake but didn't see anything wrong, it was secure. Although I couldn't take a look at the filter. I could try to put the stock intake in but I don't have the CPE fix so I don't want to do that else I'd have to solder the wires back.

Any idea?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
There was an issue with the intake rubbing the ABS harness before. Make sure it won't hit against any of that. The intake moves quite a lot when you accelerate, so even if it's not touching anything when you're looking at it, make sure it won't touch anything if it moves.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I couldn't help but notice this post. I had a very familiar thing happen to me with my CPE. Basically the intake is moving with the engine as it rocks when you accelerate. For me the squeaking came from two places.

First, It can from the wiring harness as stated above

Secondly it was squeaking on the rubber seal with I installed on the plate the CPE goes through as per my instructions. The rubber prevented the "banging soemthing is loose sound", but caused a "squeaking...I think my strut bearing are shot sound".

My fix was a lot of grease along the rubber . It prevented the rubber from building up friction to squeak....and was able to move fluidly with the engine.

Does this make sence or am I ramblimg?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that makes sense, but I seemed to fix the problem. I took out the intake and put it back in and I think while taking it out the cpe plate bolts was pretty loose so I think that's what caused the noise. As when I tried to move it after I put it back, I couldn't rock the tube back and fourth as much. But I'll try that grease trick if it comes loose again as you can see the rubbing on the tube where it hits the rubber on the plate.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think there are any problems with the 4cyl and those are made for the v6 anyways.. nothing for the 4cyl that I know of anyways. can you really feel a difference?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I don't think there are any problems with the 4cyl and those are made for the v6 anyways.. nothing for the 4cyl that I know of anyways. can you really feel a difference?
[/b]
Oh right, I forgot CP-E doesn't make one for the I4, another company does though, forgot which one. There is a pretty big difference having that mount on. A lot more vibrations, but the car mechanically runs smoother.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
There was an issue with the intake rubbing the ABS harness before. Make sure it won't hit against any of that. The intake moves quite a lot when you accelerate, so even if it's not touching anything when you're looking at it, make sure it won't touch anything if it moves.
[/b]
I just remembered, this shouldn't be an issue with the CP-E he has. CP-E actually designed it so that the ABS harness is zip-tied to the mounting plate, so that it doesn't touch or rub against anything else. As a safety precaution I still wrapped mine in pipe foam before tying it to the plate though.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has an idea what sound I'm getting. The day after we installed the shortshifter and the day after the snow storm I started getting this squeaking/rubbing sound coming from the drivers side near my intake I think.
Any idea?
[/b]
It sounds like the typical CP-E intake rubbing noise problem. This is what I did, works 100% since day 1.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=616057

1 - 10 of 10 Posts