Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last two months I have noticed a occasional high pitched squeaking sound coming from what I believe is the left front wheel when I turn at slow speeds. I had this noise prior to getting in my accident, so I know that is not the cause of it. It doesn’t seem to affect the steering, I don’t feel any strange vibration in the steering wheel, or hear a clunking noise as some have reported. I seem to remember it happening only after I got my new tires, so for a while I thought it might be them. When I had my dealer reflash my ECU I reported it, but they didn’t find anything. Any thoughts? It seems like I’m hearing it more and more now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Reading Topic: squeaking noise when turning

I have the same thing, like when I'm going to park usually. I first heard it in February (I got my 6 in November); so I thought it was the cold, but it's not very consistent. Sometimes it's there other times not.

I've got the I4 with standard, non-alloy wheels.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I have heard it a few days ago actually, same place front left tire. I really don't think its a major issue since I haven't noticed any problems driving and it doesn't happen all the time.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I also hear an occasional squeaking from only the front-left tire. it's also only when i'm making tight turns, such as pulling into, or out of, a parking space.

i've also noticed the front left brake feels a little funny every once in a while. i wonder if those 2 things are related...

but i certainly do wonder, if many people have the squeaking, and it's only the front-left tire, it should make you wonder too...

EDIT: it still does it, even though it's no longer cold out here

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, even after having the clutch replaced and the dealer having to take most of the suspension on the left side apart as a result of replacing the clutch I still get that squeak / squeal sound when driving at low speeds. I don’t think it’s a steering issue, as I hear it when I drive in a strait line slowly, even in neutral. I found myself cruising into my parking lot at my apartment driving strait at about 5-10 mph with the sound, in fact it sounds like the sound is going around in circles.

I tried spraying some spots with WD-40 today after taking the wheel off and examining the suspension, but to no avail. There was a lose screw I tightened on one the left brake rotor which faces the wheel, But since I cant see it when the wheel is on, I don’t know if its coming loose again and that’s what I’m hearing.

I’m really at a loss, I can’t seem to replicate it for my dealer, and I’m tired of taking the car back and fourth over there. I could really use some advice, this is driving me crazy.

On another note, I notice when turning at low speeds I hear a low pitch sound that sounds almost like a whale call, I think that’s the power steering. Do you guys here anything like that?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Are you guys sure this isn't just the power steering? A lot of times with power steering when you turn the wheel to the limit you will hear a squealing noise. I believe this is due to the power steering belt slipping since you are trying to turn the wheels further than possible. Try easing off the wheel a bit and see if the squealing stops. You may want to check your power steering fluid level as this squealing noise could be an indication of a low fluid level.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

my power steering fluid was low and I refilled it. I think they had to take apart a good deal of the suspension to get to my clutch, and they may have bled the system more than they relaized. I was getting a low moaning sound, almost like a whale call, prior to putting in the fluid. I haven't heard the squeak yet today, it can be intermitent. Nikolas thought it could be a hub bearing issue. Things I have checked thus far.

1. Rotated the tires to be sure it wasn't just the wheel
2. filled power steering fluid
3. removed wheel and inspected hardware, no noticable lose parts, used WD-40 on a few of the joints just in case

I noticed that the hub piece that has the posts that the lug nuts screw on too which sits in front of the brake rotor has a lose screw (there are two screws total) I screwed it back in but I don't think that was the issue b/c I have heard the squeak still and I checked to make sure the screw wasn't lose again, it seems to be firmly in place now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reading Topic: squeaking noise -- possible solution

I had this, or something that could be described in the same way. It was being caused by the thin, curved metal plate that wraps around inside the brake calipers. You can see the edges of it through the wheels; notice that there are some small tabs along the edge of the plate, and presumably also in the inner edges which you can't see well.

These plates can shift inwards towards the disc with the result that the inner edges of the plates can actually catch on the disc surface, often when cornering, and cause a squealing.

If this is what's happening in any of the cases reported here, there may even be a sign of scoring on the disc surface. Look here first for a pointer...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replying to Topic 'squeaking noise when turning'

Originally posted by harley

I had this, or something that could be described in the same way. It was being caused by the thin, curved metal plate that wraps around inside the brake calipers. You can see the edges of it through the wheels; notice that there are some small tabs along the edge of the plate, and presumably also in the inner edges which you can't see well.  

These plates can shift inwards towards the disc with the result that the inner edges of the plates can actually catch on the disc surface, often when cornering, and cause a squealing.

If this is what's happening in any of the cases reported here, there may even be a sign of scoring on the disc surface. Look here first  for a pointer...[/b]
Interesting, I know what your taking about, how did you fix it, did you bend the plate out? What is the plate for? My sound is intermitent, so I don't hear it all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts

BRILLO,

Interesting, I know what your taking about, how did you fix it, did you bend the plate out? What is the plate for? My sound is intermitent, so I don't hear it all the time.[/b]
I don't know what this plate is for; I'm not that well up on brake assemblies. My sound was also intermittent, only happening when the brake/wheel assemblies were under stress when cornering, so I didn't get it all the time either. Could be you have the same root cause.

I took it to the dealer. They dismantled the calipers which enabled them to slide the plate outwards and reposition it further away from the disc surface so it could no longer come into contact with the disk.

They also put some special grease on the plate surface. Not sure why. I would have thought grease of any kind would have made the plate more prone to slippage, whereas a dry assembly would be more inclined to stay put. Still, these adjustments did resolve the squealing. And the scoring in the disc surface, which was slight but noticeable and getting worse, has since been almost completely 'polished out' by the disc pads.

Hope you get yours fixed!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Although this topic is sort of inactive. I just noticed my car making the same noise again for the 2nd time since I've had it for 9 months. I usually apply the brake before the turn, but like everyone else, I was turning onto a driveway (parking). Has anyone gotten it fixed lately? My brakes also squeek when I am braking at slow speeds (constantly)... but more when the car is cold...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I just had the brake pads and clips replaced for the pulsating brake problem and it has solved the squeaking noise heard on low speed turns. This is a service bulletin if I'm not misstaken so get it reported ASAP.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts

Take your car to the dealer.

There's a TSB or whatever a suggested repair is called to fix this exact problem -- high pitched squealing when turning at low speeds.

The dealer will replace your front brake hardware and your pads free of charge. Just got mine out of the shop. I'll get the number off my receipt later.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

yeah, i had my stuff replaced like 20k miles ago and the squeak just started coming back. Not as often as before, but its there.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Arg! Me too. I had the break hardware replaced, but the squealing came back 2 weeks later. It's so embarassing driving a nice ride and then when you go to park it, squeaky squeaky, people stop and stare because of the noise and not the look of the car.:huh

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

Originally posted by Sigma

Take your car to the dealer.

There's a TSB or whatever a suggested repair is called to fix this exact problem -- high pitched squealing when turning at low speeds.

The dealer will replace your front brake hardware and your pads free of charge.  Just got mine out of the shop.  I'll get the number off my receipt later.
did u get that number yet?

·
Registered
106 Posts

reported same sound to the dealer at 4k, dealer said nothing was wrong with the brakes. Since being there Mazda has released the TSB and I am now at 21k, dealer wont touch the brakes - they have a 12 month 12k warranty.

I'm at a loss....dont know what to do....any ideas?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'squeaking noise when turning'

My dealership just fixed the TSB and I have nearly 35k miles. Go back and insist.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts