Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I read a couple of other threads on this, hoping it would not happen to me, but it has. There is a definite problem under WOT. It's not really noticable under partial to about 80%, but at 80-100% it's there. I used to autocross a 240z with a webber six pack and when there was a AFR problem, it felt like this. At the same time it feels like sometimes the Turbo does not spool up or get boost. And YES, I have had the latest reflash (7/28) so that is not the problem.

Wonderng out loud here, this car sat with about 100 miles on it from Feb of this year until I bought it last month. I stated in one of my first posts that it didn't feel like it had the power of the demo I drove for a 2 weekends. Being honest with myself I find that I still don't believe it did. YES, it is possible that first tank of 87 Octane mixed with 93 could of been the culprit then. But at 1K miles now and fully broken in on a steady diet of Chevron 93, that is past the point where it could be a factor.

Soooo, my thoughts, going back to it sitting for 6+ months undriven; could this have caused an internal turbo problem since it was driven enough, broken in some on this forum would say with 100 miles on it, then parked for months (6) on end? I'm no expert, so input here would be appreciated. I'm scheduling an appointment with Premier Mazda in Georgetown (I will NEVER back to Mazdasouth) next week, but it's honestly pissing me off to have to take to the shop this soon in ownership.

UGH :swearin:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I read a couple of other threads on this, hoping it would not happen to me, but it has. There is a definite problem under WOT. It's not really noticable under partial to about 80%, but at 80-100% it's there. I used to autocross a 240z with a webber six pack and when there was a AFR problem, it felt like this. At the same time it feels like sometimes the Turbo does not spool up or get boost. And YES, I have had the latest reflash (7/28) so that is not the problem.

Wonderng out loud here, this car sat with about 100 miles on it from Feb of this year until I bought it last month. I stated in one of my first posts that it didn't feel like it had the power of the demo I drove for a 2 weekends. Being honest with myself I find that I still don't believe it did. YES, it is possible that first tank of 87 Octane mixed with 93 could of been the culprit then. But at 1K miles now and fully broken in on a steady diet of Chevron 93, that is past the point where it could be a factor.

Soooo, my thoughts, going back to it sitting for 6+ months undriven; could this have caused an internal turbo problem since it was driven enough, broken in some on this forum would say with 100 miles on it, then parked for months (6) on end? I'm no expert, so input here would be appreciated. I'm scheduling an appointment with Premier Mazda in Georgetown (I will NEVER back to Mazdasouth) next week, but it's honestly pissing me off to have to take to the shop this soon in ownership.

UGH :swearin:
[/b]
UPDATE: Just got it back from picking up my car this afternoon and they said there is nothing wrong with it; all the codes are coming back correct and they did not "feel" the lack of power after a 10 mile test drive. I sat and argued with them for 15 minutes about how it was driving when I brought it in, to no avail. So I took the car and headed home.

This is where is gets weird; I took the long way home and drove about 40 miles total to test it out, not once did I feel the hesitation or cut-out during that drive, even rapping to 6500 under WOT! So I'm wondering if they did something they are not telling me about?

Or maybe when I bought the car at the end of last month and they claimed it had been reflashed, it really had not. The power still doesn't feel like the demonstrator I drove for 2 weekends, but it's NOT cutting out under WOT. Or maybe they did find something and fixed it and are not telling me. Who knows. But whatever they did - or didn't do - the car is running better after the oil change and a trip to the shop.

Thoughts? Seems to me this just adds to the mystery hesitation so many have written about!!!

PS they ordered my Mazdaspeed CAI and will match the $281 price from Jim Click!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I come to the conclusion that boost sometimes spikes too high causing the ecu to initiate a fuel cut. It used to happen to me every so often between 3500-4500 rpms. I now have a EBC and in the process of trying to set it, I got the same fuel cuts. Now, that I can control the turbo from spiking too high, I do not get the fuel cuts anymore.

Check the engine tech subforum of the Mazdaspeed6 forum. There is a huge thread on this subject matter.

BTW, you should be shifting about 6000-6200 rpms, because boost drops dramaticaly by 6000 rpms. That's one of the reasons why I got the EBC, so I can hold 17-18 psi of boost all the way to 6000-6200 rpms.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, you should be shifting about 6000-6200 rpms, because boost drops dramaticaly by 6000 rpms. That's one of the reasons why I got the EBC, so I can hold 17-18 psi of boost all the way to 6000-6200 rpms.
[/b]
I usually shift at 5700 to 6000, peak power's at 5500 so beyond that you're just winding the motor for no gain. I just wanted to see if the hesitation was happening at hi-rpm, and it didn't.

You could be right about the boost and AFR, but for now I'm writing this hesistation off as "who the F knows". If it comes back I'll renew this thread

Out of curiousity, has anyone had it just vanish?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Out of curiousity, has anyone had it just vanish?
[/b]
This might not be the reason, but... It did while the outside temp was over 90-95. Now that it's been 65-70 it's been running so much better.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would just say run some injector cleaner and wrightit off to who the Heii knows. I got my speed6 in june and have had no reflash and have never had power loss at all. I wright that off to who the heii knows too.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might not be the reason, but... It did while the outside temp was over 90-95. Now that it's been 65-70 it's been running so much better.
[/b]
Air temp ABSOLUTELY has something to do with performance. I'm showing my age by saying this, but does anyone remember the 1986 C&D issue where they tested a twin turbo grand national regal when it was 5 degrees outside? It did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds!!!!! They retested it at 60 degrees ambient temp and it added a second to the run!

cold air = dense air = good times :drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts