Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences that make it worth upgrading?

1. Stereo + speakers I can replace myself and typically aftermarket is still better than the "upgrade" systems in cars
2. Wheels I have no objections changing out myself. I would probably just toss snows on stock wheels and get after 19s
3. push-button. I always wanted, but could live without. Was it an option on the sport? is the regular key a flip-out style? I built a flip key for my subie just because i don't like having a key poking holes in my pocket.
4. leatherette - I read its not greatest. They get hot/cold, but easy to clean with kids.

I'm looking for a 3rd car. Something with lower miles, good mpg, and some style. probably will be a 2015-2016 based on the price range. Definitely want a 6-speed. Really want an A5, but the A5 I want is still $25k+ used.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
The post-2015s don't have a replaceable audio system, as it's the 'piece of toast' setup as opposed to a reasonably-standard double-din sized unit.

It was largely due to this that I bought when I did.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What are the differences that make it worth upgrading?

1. Stereo + speakers I can replace myself and typically aftermarket is still better than the "upgrade" systems in cars
2. Wheels I have no objections changing out myself. I would probably just toss snows on stock wheels and get after 19s
3. push-button. I always wanted, but could live without. Was it an option on the sport? is the regular key a flip-out style? I built a flip key for my subie just because i don't like having a key poking holes in my pocket.
4. leatherette - I read its not greatest. They get hot/cold, but easy to clean with kids.

I'm looking for a 3rd car. Something with lower miles, good mpg, and some style. probably will be a 2015-2016 based on the price range. Definitely want a 6-speed. Really want an A5, but the A5 I want is still $25k+ used.
1. I'm not an expert on all the options over the 3rd gen years, but I believe there was a significant head unit change between the 2015-2016 models. The 2014 (like mine) and 2015 had an "older" style double-din touchscreen head unit easily swappable with the major aftermarket brands out there: Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, etc. I believe the 2016 model is when Mazda went to the "toaster oven" style touchscreen which Crutchfield apparently recommends not replacing. Also, I don't believe the Sport comes with the touchscreen head unit with command knob. My 2014 Touring did, but I ended up replacing the head unit anyway with a Pioneer NEX unit with Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatibility. I did lose the command knob, but after a few months with the Pioneer I don't miss it. I do know an upgraded Bose option is available on the Touring models.

2. Sounds like you need two sets of wheels/tires (snows then something for everything else). The 19" OEM wheels on the Touring and Grand Touring models look pretty dope imo, but every other Touring/Grand Touring 6 has them. However, probably cheaper to source 17" steelies with snow tires.

3. All 2014+ gen 6's come with the push button start.

4. My 2014 Touring has the beige leatherette interior. Overall, I like it honestly, but it can get a bit warm/cold depending on the season. I also noticed my jeans have rubbed off on it a bit recently - do a bit of reading here about that issue. I don't have young kids, but I suspect it would be relatively easy to clean their mess off it.

The 6 will check your good MPG, style, MT availability and probably your price range boxes. I would definitely test drive one before deciding on it vs an Audi A5. The 6 makes 184hp/185ft-lbs of torque and most of that is available once you rev it out a bit. There are ways to address the lack of low-end torque, but it will be additional cost/effort. I suspect even the low-spec turbo A5 (depending on the years you're looking at) would have much more satisfying low-end response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify the HU changed in 2016? Actually someone said it's that pop up screen so that's easy to figure out. Sounds like not much else on the touring model is really justifiable for the cost

Also do like the 19s on a touring model but I also like them on 20s.. hence why a sport model 17s would be used for winter and get what I want for wheels.

I know the a5 is a different ball game but i also have an turbo subaru wagon @ 135k miles and a 92 mr2 turbo. The subaru is loads of fun and a good work truck, but hitting that age where it is goong to need some attention. It's also a thirsty beast on premium fuel... the mr2 is dead reliable until it is not... Lol

I'm thinking about doing some rallyX with it as well

·
Banned
886 Posts
considering how much the touring/touring tech and especially GT cost for the anemic power level

for the cost of a touring tech, you could easily get a mustang eco boost or v6 with twice the power

for the cost of a GT, you could move up to cars that are much fun to drive and have more power

the GT is for the people who cannot afford luxury cars, but want to have a taste of those features at a smaller scale

at the price of a GT, I might as well just bump it up to Lexus or Infinity q50

I mean if I'm gonna get in debt for an overpriced GT at 30k+, might as well just go ahead and get an Infinity Q50

·
Registered
44 Posts

I bought my 2017 Sport in Sept of 2017 for $18.5US. I added $50 foggies, $90 All Weather match and $45 for navigation SD card. I would keep 17" wheels any day. '6 has great suspension. Other manufacturers often compensate Manufacturers suspension shortcomings with lower profile tires but '6 need none of this. If my wheel touches the curb, it is rubber touches the curb. My co-worker has same car with 19" and his wheels all scraped already because in his case this is wheel that touches the curb. Ride is better on 17" too. And they are way cheaper to replace and last longer.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
IMHO you're nuts to run low-profile tires on a STREET vehicle. I've had 'em before and never will again.

If you track it, ok, I get it. But the exchange for the stiffer sidewalls is much greater damage potential from curbs, near-certain destruction from debris that standard-profile tires will survive, and double the price (or more!) for replacements. Oh, and a harsher ride.

No thank you.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Slightly off topic, but reminds me of my first car that i bought: a 1982 Mercedes 300SD with 198K miles. It was a monster of a car and had 13" bundtcake wheels with super tall rubber. They were great for parking. I NEVER hit a curb with the rims and the ride was as smooth as silk. However, the sound of side wall roll over in a spirited turn was deafening.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread topic...

·
Registered
5 Posts
A little off topic also. We bought a new 2017 Gran Tourning last year . I like it because it has everything on it. We happen to buy a tire replacement and wheel repair warranty from the dealer so far we have had two wheels repaired and one tire replaced. I was skeptical but best 300 dollars I ever spent.
Michael in Texas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts