Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look at the differences between the Sport's base MSRP $22,495 and the Touring $24,495, I can see it's a $2K difference. I am placing a series of 1-5 stars to indicate how important that features is to me (more stars = more importance) For that, I am getting:

• 19" Alloy Wheels in P225/45r19 (vs Sport's 17" Alloy Wheels in P225/55r17) *****
  • Leatherette Trimmed Seats (vs Sport's Cloth) *****
  • Dual-zone climate control (vs Sport's single zone) **
  • 6-way power driver's seat (vs Sport's Manual) ***
  • Commander Switch (vs Sport's on-dash controls) **
  • Rear seat heat and AC vents (vs Sport's on-dash only) **
  • Blind Spot Monitoring (vs Sport's lack of option) ***
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert (vs Sport's lack of option) ***
  • Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio streaming (vs Sport's lack of option) **
  • HD Radio (vs Sport's lack of option) **
  • Pandora Internet Radio (vs Sport's lack of option) **
  • SMS text message audio delivery and reply (vs Sport's lack of option) **
Of course, at this price point, the Touring DOES have the attractive TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE, of which I 'd love a lot of that tech, but know for SURE it would help to put me way over budget.

So my mindset is this. With the trims being 2K between each other, would it not be feasible to presume that if I could afford a Touring, I should be able to get the price difference between them smaller than 2K?

Looking at what kind of financing I can get today. If possible to get 0.9% on a 72 month loan, then the maximum I can go is about $25500 (out the door). I have a car I'm trading in that I will accept nothing less than $4500 on, so that would bring me down to $21000, which financed at 0.9 would put me JUST under $300/month (my max budget)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You know, the more I think of it, it's kind of messed up that the Technology package isn't available for the Sport model. It seems the wheels and seats are the majority of the price difference between Sport and Touring's price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
well not that it helps but I got my Touring + Tech for whatever the MSRP was (27k something) -$1600 discount....

So you can get some prices off the sticker price.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, even went as far as paying down for the Sport. Slept on it and when come time to pick up the car the next day, I had to change my mind or I'll regret a big purchase forever! The 19s, leatherette, dual climate, rear A/C and BSM (I don't know how I'll ever own another car without this, lol) was enough to make that $2K worth it.

Luckily my dealer was kind enough to let me trade up. I even gave them a couple of hundred dollars just because they were able to make a one time deal type of setup for my situation. Note that I already signed the documents and everything...

·
Registered
55 Posts
When I look at the differences between the Sport's base MSRP $22,495 and the Touring $24,495, I can see it's a $2K difference. I am placing a series of 1-5 stars to indicate how important that features is to me (more stars = more importance) For that, I am getting:

• 19" Alloy Wheels in P225/45r19 (vs Sport's 17" Alloy Wheels in P225/55r17) *****
Of course, at this price point, the Touring DOES have the attractive TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE, of which I 'd love a lot of that tech, but know for SURE it would help to put me way over budget.

So my mindset is this. With the trims being 2K between each other, would it not be feasible to presume that if I could afford a Touring, I should be able to get the price difference between them smaller than 2K?

Looking at what kind of financing I can get today. If possible to get 0.9% on a 72 month loan, then the maximum I can go is about $25500 (out the door). I have a car I'm trading in that I will accept nothing less than $4500 on, so that would bring me down to $21000, which financed at 0.9 would put me JUST under $300/month (my max budget)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

First things first. Sport does have Bluetooth and SMS messaging (depending on phone) and HD radio and Pandora streaming, if you are getting the auto.

I bought the Sport and here's why. Budget was a concern and I'm kinda cheap, so paying for extras (i.e. higher trims) is where you pay the premium and where the dealer makes the real money and was not worth it to me. 19" wheels are pretty looking but that's pretty much it. They can be damaged easier, not as smooth a ride, and are double the cost to replace (easily $1600 for new wheels/tires). Leatherette is nice, but its not leather, so really wasn't worth the upgrade to me. Safety features are nice like blind spot monitoring, but the more electronics u have, the more $$ to fix when they fail after warranty ( which is when they fail). Commander switch is not needed and redundant. I prefer manual and simple climate control. Power seats are nice, as are rear seat vents, but not worth 2k to me. U could prolly get the diff down to $1600 between sport and touring. Now if you are going manual I'd say go touring all the way since the differences are huge, but if buying an auto, I'd go Sport. Best bang for your buck. If you have $$$$ to burn, get the GT, or a Bimmer :).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

First things first. Sport does have Bluetooth and SMS messaging (depending on phone) and HD radio and Pandora streaming, if you are getting the auto.

I bought the Sport and here's why. Budget was a concern and I'm kinda cheap, so paying for extras (i.e. higher trims) is where you pay the premium and where the dealer makes the real money and was not worth it to me. 19" wheels are pretty looking but that's pretty much it. They can be damaged easier, not as smooth a ride, and are double the cost to replace (easily $1600 for new wheels/tires). Leatherette is nice, but its not leather, so really wasn't worth the upgrade to me. Safety features are nice like blind spot monitoring, but the more electronics u have, the more $$ to fix when they fail after warranty ( which is when they fail). Commander switch is not needed and redundant. I prefer manual and simple climate control. Power seats are nice, as are rear seat vents, but not worth 2k to me. U could prolly get the diff down to $1600 between sport and touring. Now if you are going manual I'd say go touring all the way since the differences are huge, but if buying an auto, I'd go Sport. Best bang for your buck. If you have $$$$ to burn, get the GT, or a Bimmer :).
Excellent points. I think I'll be sticking with the Sport ATX (easier on the budget, anyways)

Hey, can I ask. Since you got the Sport, one of my concerns is that the 17" tires and P225/55r17 sidewalls look too "fat" and lose that sporty look. I know it's subjective (would LOVE to see some pics from the car's profile) I love the look of the 19" and the P225/45r19's, and I've seen some pics online of the '14 with rather fat wheels, hoping someone had done a swap on them what came from factory.

But even then, new low profile 17's would be about $600-700 vs $1500+.

Here's the pic I'm talking about: I just don't like how fat they look:

And here's a profile (although bad color grading) showing more of the look I was hoping for on the Sport ATX:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Excellent points. I think I'll be sticking with the Sport ATX (easier on the budget, anyways)

Hey, can I ask. Since you got the Sport, one of my concerns is that the 17" tires and P225/55r17 sidewalls look too "fat" and lose that sporty look. I know it's subjective (would LOVE to see some pics from the car's profile) I love the look of the 19" and the P225/45r19's, and I've seen some pics online of the '14 with rather fat wheels, hoping someone had done a swap on them what came from factory.

But even then, new low profile 17's would be about $600-700 vs $1500+.

Here's the pic I'm talking about: I just don't like how fat they look:

And here's a profile (although bad color grading) showing more of the look I was hoping for on the Sport ATX:

I don't mind the look of the 17's, makes it look tougher imo. But if you must have bigger wheels, then I'd say go with the touring, because it will cost you around $1600 to do it after market. But then I guess you'd have a spare set...of wheels you don't like. Just remember, you'll be spending 99% of your time INSIDE the car and not staring at the wheels...although I find myself stalking my car a bit more now-a-days :D.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't mind the look of the 17's, makes it look tougher imo. But if you must have bigger wheels, then I'd say go with the touring, because it will cost you around $1600 to do it after market. But then I guess you'd have a spare set...of wheels you don't like. Just remember, you'll be spending 99% of your time INSIDE the car and not staring at the wheels...although I find myself stalking my car a bit more now-a-days :D.

Well, I don't MIND the 17" tires, I just want them to have the low profile look. That first image I posted, the tires sidewalls look VERY thick. And even though the second is of a Touring Trim, with 19" wheels, their sidewalls (45mm vs the 17's 55mm) look much thinner.

Thing is, 10mm difference is not even half of an inch....but those photos make them look VERY different. The owner's manual states "Your Mazda6 comes equipped with low profile tires" but unless the photo of the first Mazda6 I showed is using some aftermarket tires, I really am not fond of the thicker "look".

I *believe* the Mazda comes with Yokohama tires, which P225/45r17's go for about $150 each. Still... that's another $600. :eek:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Its a preference thing.. I hate low profile tires and the whole stance wave in general. My formula has 16's.. big MEATY tires underneath and that's how I like em.. big and wide LOL. That's "sporty" to me. low profiles only scream one thing to me... "LOOK OUT FOR THAT POTHOLE!!!!" and we don't even have many of those around TN ;). Also the tires don't look "fat" on this car too me. They're pretty much straight up and down. not bulgy like the top pic. I had no choice but to stick with the sport because of budget demands, and at that with what I'm saving in gas the car is only actually costing me $100 a month and is keeping my budget more STABLE most importantly. Due to less fill ups gas fluctuations don't have near the affect they use to on me. 3000 miles a month adds up to the bottom line very fast haha. (filling up every 4-5 days versus every 2 now) :).. Premium @ 26MPG vs Regular @ 36MPG = happy wallet. Truth be told it's more drastic than that.. as we drove the CX7 on weekends as the family car/grocery car. and it only gets 19-21MPG with premium.

FWIW I love my sport, and don't regret the decision to get it one bit :) the ONLY thing I would've rather had was the LED/HID headlights of the GT... instead of spending 10K there I can get some headlights from a junkyard a year or two down the road for around 1000 at best guess. 4000 miles down and I'm still loving this car, it may not accelerate like my formula or pull hills like the CX7 but it sure does out handle both of em haha. Also the smoothest ride of the lot.. go figure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a preference thing.. I hate low profile tires and the whole stance wave in general. My formula has 16's.. big MEATY tires underneath and that's how I like em.. big and wide LOL. That's "sporty" to me. low profiles only scream one thing to me... "LOOK OUT FOR THAT POTHOLE!!!!" and we don't even have many of those around TN ;). Also the tires don't look "fat" on this car too me. They're pretty much straight up and down. not bulgy like the top pic. I had no choice but to stick with the sport because of budget demands, and at that with what I'm saving in gas the car is only actually costing me $100 a month and is keeping my budget more STABLE most importantly. Due to less fill ups gas fluctuations don't have near the affect they use to on me. 3000 miles a month adds up to the bottom line very fast haha. (filling up every 4-5 days versus every 2 now) :).. Premium @ 26MPG vs Regular @ 36MPG = happy wallet. Truth be told it's more drastic than that.. as we drove the CX7 on weekends as the family car/grocery car. and it only gets 19-21MPG with premium.

FWIW I love my sport, and don't regret the decision to get it one bit :) the ONLY thing I would've rather had was the LED/HID headlights of the GT... instead of spending 10K there I can get some headlights from a junkyard a year or two down the road for around 1000 at best guess. 4000 miles down and I'm still loving this car, it may not accelerate like my formula or pull hills like the CX7 but it sure does out handle both of em haha. Also the smoothest ride of the lot.. go figure.
You're right, RacingTiger, it's all subjective. What 1 person likes, others don't, and vice-versa. I'm of the belief "To each his own" :)

I live in Florida, and our roads are pretty good. We have a speed bump in/out of where I live, so I'd have to go over one every day, but even in my previous ride, I always go over them slowly. In fact, I only put about 5500 miles a year on the car, (~100/week). The Sport ATX has 6-8 more MPG than my previous car.

Hopefully I'm not using the wording wrong, but when I said "fat", I didn't mean it in width. I actually like "wider" tires. I was referring to the sidewall width. To me, even if on 17" tires, if I had a tire rated as a 45 for the sidewall width, I think it would look as good as the 19" tires, just scaled down in proportion. I'd love photos if someone had 225/45r17's on their '14 6.

You sure as heck get a lotta miles out of your ride! Hopefully I'll be able to easily have my car for a decade or 2 at my rate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh sorry, yes those are stock 55. Check out the car at the dealer after hours! Pics don't do the car justice!

Thanks, tbone! I think the 55's actually might be just fine then. That should save me some $$$.

That liquid silver finish was my second choice after the Meteor Gray. It looks damn good, but something about the Meteor Gray just sold me when I saw it in person (you can't go wrong with neutral colors, am I right?) :)

Your car looks fan-freaking-tastic, man. Can't wait to be a 6 owner. Where is that darn financier!? She was supposed to call me back and tell me what rate she could get me at!

*massive anticipation*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks, tbone! I think the 55's actually might be just fine then. That should save me some $$$.

That liquid silver finish was my second choice after the Meteor Gray. It looks damn good, but something about the Meteor Gray just sold me when I saw it in person (you can't go wrong with neutral colors, am I right?) :)

Your car looks fan-freaking-tastic, man. Can't wait to be a 6 owner. Where is that darn financier!? She was supposed to call me back and tell me what rate she could get me at!

*massive anticipation*
Haha thanks. You will love it. I was actually going to go with the grey at first, don't usually like silver. But then i saw the liquid silver in person and it just kept growing on me until I had to get it!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Haha thanks. You will love it. I was actually going to go with the grey at first, don't usually like silver. But then i saw the liquid silver in person and it just kept growing on me until I had to get it!

I called my insurance company to make sure I had "Whiplash" coverage. She was like "Yep! You're fully covered." And I said "Cool, cause all the times I'm going to be whipping my head back to take peaks at this thing is surely going to break something in my neck one of the times." :)

It's no wonder this car was a finalist in design with a $70,000 and a $300,000 car. Usually if a car's a got a nice grill, she's got an ugly ass. Or vice versa. But damned if this car don't look SMOKING hot on every damn angle!

My kudos to Ikou Maeda and the designers at Mazda. This car just is just MEAN and AGGRESSIVE and SINISTER all wrapped into a gorgeous package.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I called my insurance company to make sure I had "Whiplash" coverage. She was like "Yep! You're fully covered." And I said "Cool, cause all the times I'm going to be whipping my head back to take peaks at this thing is surely going to break something in my neck one of the times." :)

It's no wonder this car was a finalist in design with a $70,000 and a $300,000 car. Usually if a car's a got a nice grill, she's got an ugly ass. Or vice versa. But damned if this car don't look SMOKING hot on every damn angle!

My kudos to Ikou Maeda and the designers at Mazda. This car just is just MEAN and AGGRESSIVE and SINISTER all wrapped into a gorgeous package.
Haha. I have a feeling you are going this will be life changing for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sport should have come with 18's wrapped in 235-45-18.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Funny.

I officially "christened" my 6MT Touring Jet Black Mica last Sat (the 1st of June, the first wax) with "affusion"/car wash beforehand...

S.B.

"Sexy Beast"

:lol:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

Imo, Touring is the "best of both worlds", midway from Sport and Grand Touring.

But quite honestly (the world ain't perfect, after all), I was not into the 19" rims (I would prefer 18"s max, but unavailable). The 6-way PS should've come with memory (should have been 8w all the way like GT, but not). Rear Cross Traffic Alert is something I could do without (I'm not too big on techno-nannies. So what's the point with your left/right side + rear view mirrors then, and your neck..Seriously.). Other than those that I did not mention (the features I really like), the $2K difference over Sport, is a GREAT VALUE in itself.

I took delivery with no cash layout (car's have depreciating value anyways, so why pour more liquidity in it). At my CU's 0.74%/48mos ($23,706.95 otd is about $359.77 finance charge for full 4yr term) vs "Wall St". For my usual substantial money down for a car...I'm cutting my losses.:lol:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
12 Participants
nhmazda6top
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing