Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i have the lower fogs from Heronew but have not installed yet because it seems all they are gonna do is crack, so i was on cardomain and came across someone who used different fogs in the housing....

cardomain site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2517782/2

Fog Lights
http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-1002-Free-Fo...t/dp/B000E0KHB8

i know he is from australia but the housings he used look very similar to heronews, so do you guys think the Hella Optilux would fit in the housing from Heronew's fogs?

i have been looking around but dont know if there are other choices to fit in the housing, has anyone else changed their fog lights??

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'll take a first crack at this one...

I was actually planning on doing the same. I had a ton of problems with the bulbs from Heronew. Once I found out they carried no warranty and it would cost 40 bucks for another POS bulb, I decided to scrap it.

What you should do is measure the foglight housing..... I believe the diameter of the hole is 3 inches in the front and then it tapers down to 2-2.5 inches in the back but you should measure and double check me. with those dimensions, I think the bulbs in your link MIGHT fit but they will be sticking out. The measurements listed are 4x2.8x2.7 so I think they will fit in the housing but they wont sit as flush as the stock bulbs. Looking at the guys cardomain picture, I think this is the case.

Depending on the size of the hole in the housing will let you know if the aftermarket fogs will fit.

I almost did this but I decided that I would eventually get HIDs and since I am anal about my lights matching, I wasnt going to put any more cash into the foglights and just cut my losses so I sold my housings......

What you should do is take one of the housings itself to your local autozone or advance auto or walmart or target and see what type of bulbs will fit into the housing. Most aftermarket foglights only come in a box so you should be able to open up the box and see if they will fit.

I dont know if anyone else has gone about doing this to see which ones fit the best but I know a LOT of people were disappointed with the quality of the stock bulbs so there might be a few people who have already done this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll take a first crack at this one...

I was actually planning on doing the same. I had a ton of problems with the bulbs from Heronew. Once I found out they carried no warranty and it would cost 40 bucks for another POS bulb, I decided to scrap it.

What you should do is measure the foglight housing..... I believe the diameter of the hole is 3 inches in the front and then it tapers down to 2-2.5 inches in the back but you should measure and double check me. with those dimensions, I think the bulbs in your link MIGHT fit but they will be sticking out. The measurements listed are 4x2.8x2.7 so I think they will fit in the housing but they wont sit as flush as the stock bulbs. Looking at the guys cardomain picture, I think this is the case.

Depending on the size of the hole in the housing will let you know if the aftermarket fogs will fit.

I almost did this but I decided that I would eventually get HIDs and since I am anal about my lights matching, I wasnt going to put any more cash into the foglights and just cut my losses so I sold my housings......

What you should do is take one of the housings itself to your local autozone or advance auto or walmart or target and see what type of bulbs will fit into the housing. Most aftermarket foglights only come in a box so you should be able to open up the box and see if they will fit.

I dont know if anyone else has gone about doing this to see which ones fit the best but I know a LOT of people were disappointed with the quality of the stock bulbs so there might be a few people who have already done this.

Good luck.
[/b]
I added bumper mounted foglights to my 6 sport. I got a full kit from Abalone Motorsports off ebay and installed them rather easily. They came with a mesh insert beside the light and replaced the fake vent completely. They look great but the bulbs (regular fog bulbs) have failed probably because of vibration. I am looking at replacing these bulbs with LEDS that are now out there-just haven't gotten around to it yet.
If you would like the link to the company, let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please add the link!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick search on ebay for "mazda6 sport fog lights" produces:

Abalonepoon's Auction

79.99 BIN price, not bad if they work well might get em myself.
[/b]
those look pretty much like heronews... but since i already have the housing i actually am looking to just replace the fog light......

I might do what Philter said, go to autozone, walmart, etc this weekend with housing... if not then i will give those hella ones a shot, i can always return them...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What I did for mine was this:

I had a set (first batch) from heronew, and afetr having the shitty bulbs and housings for a while, I went on ebay and bought a set of factory NONSPORT fogs and housings (costs about $60 i think)..

The lamps from those fit PERFECTLY in the housings from heronews GB, and they are reflectors, not projectors so the light output is alot better. Replaced the bulbs with luminics jdm yellows, and they look sweet ass :)

.... Just another route you could go down for the issue :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've been looking for projectors in my futur fogs as I have been hating the look of these nonmatching fragile fog lenses ! Great find !

Ya I noticed too that they stick out from the Domain page ! That , I don't like .... but what I DO like is the fact that they are projectors and WILL match our headlamps , 2) they are H3 bulbs which are the same type as our integrated fogs !! If you're going with an HID kit in the future ; who cares about light output as long as they look all the same external lens wise + colormatch . As far as the sticking out part what I would do is paint black the chrome part ; and it wouldn't show as much ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
What have you all done for a switch inside? Did you get a stock switch and wire it that way or did you use the aftermarket switch? Any pics?

·
Registered
270 Posts
What have you all done for a switch inside? Did you get a stock switch and wire it that way or did you use the aftermarket switch? Any pics?
[/b]
I used an aftermarket switch that came with the kit. Not the best piece (housing too flimsy). I plan to replace with a lighted toggle switch when the holiday chaos is over. Original switch was mounted with double sided tape (supplied w/kit), and I mounted it next to the TCS switch on the lower left of dash panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts