Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently installed an audiolink to connect my Ipod to my 2006 Mazda 6. Every now and then the IPOD pauzes spontaneously. I can resume after pushing the pauze button on the IPOD.

some information:

- Ipod 3d generation
- RPM audiolink
- stock DVD navigation system
- Nokia Carkit

I suspect electromagnetic compatibility issues to play a role here, but I am not sure.

anyone experienced similar behaviour? any hints?

cheers,

george

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't experienced that and I've had mine since they first came out for the MS6 a few months ago. Possibly one of your connections is just loose enough that it causes the ipod to think that it is being disconnected. It's probably not the connection at the ipod because that locks in tight, but the audio link connection might have shaken loose or the connection to the radio might not have been pushed in all the way. If that is the case, it wouldn't necessarily require a big bump in the road to make it not work, any little movement would do it.

What I have had a MAJOR problem with is the audio link thing working at all!!! I've checked and all connections are good. I have it installed running along and underneath the shifter/cupholder piece. Then I have the wire coming up through the bottom of the armrest compartment. Sometimes I would go to turn it on by hitting the CD button and it wasn't able to even recognize that it was there AT ALL. Other times, on long trips, you would be listening and all of a sudden it would just stop working and I couldn't get it (audiolink) to turn on again till the next day. I've come to think that maybe the audiolink unit is getting too hot being underneath that plastic piece and shutting down. Since it has been only in the 30's and 40's lately here in Wisconsin it has been working fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny, I positioned the Audiolink at exactly the same location: underneath the cupholders. Maybe it has to do with that location.

Since I swapped the audiolink for a new one and reinstalled it completely having similar results I don't think it has to do with the connections.

Is there any source of interferece close to the cupholders?

george

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have the ipod hooked up to power when this happens? I have a 3rd Gen ipod as well and the same symptoms when it was installed in my dodge. when the ipod starts or stops charging it may pause playing. try running on battery and see if it still happens.

3rd Gen ipod
clarion HU
belkin charger/aux out kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Technically, using the AudioLink, it's always hooked up to power I guess because it also charges it while you're playing the ipod.

Midas... I'm almost positive heat is causing my/our problem. I can't explain the technical details but I definitly know that if something electronic gets too hot it wont work. My DVR cable box for example, due to poor design, has to be kept out in the wide open otherwise it will shut itself down from getting too hot.

I have yet to pull my Audiolink out of the cramped area due to my own laziness but i'll bet it is it. Like I said since it's been drasticly cooler up in Wisconsin lately, it hasn't been doing it as often. Only after I've been driving for a good 45 minutes to an hour.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ahhh i am not familiar with the audio link so didn't know it was a power source as well, my bad.

i havent used my ipod yet in my 06 (holding out hope for the metra kit, which might be getting closer based on the latest post)

good luck

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wow. Thought maybe I had a bad AudioLink unit. I get the same results in my '06 MazdaSpeed6.....works for a few then shuts down.

Question...for those that ARE having this problem, are we all running the link to the armrest????? I'm thinking that the output somewhere near the radio (ashtray, etc) might cure th problem....

Or, wrapping the control box in some sort of 'heat shield'. Dumb that we might have to do this but it's getting REALLY annoying not being able to listen to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Strange... I too am having problems with my Audiolink. My two main problems are;

1) Ramdom pausing of the Ipod

2) The HU fails to control the Ipod. Speicifically The Ipod continues to play but I can only change songs on the Ipod itself.

I have tried disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery.

Hi all,

I recently installed an audiolink to connect my Ipod to my 2006 Mazda 6. Every now and then the IPOD pauzes spontaneously. I can resume after pushing the pauze button on the IPOD.

some information:

- Ipod 3d generation
- RPM audiolink
- stock DVD navigation system
- Nokia Carkit

I suspect electromagnetic compatibility issues to play a role here, but I am not sure.

anyone experienced similar behaviour? any hints?

cheers,

george
[/b]

·
Registered
593 Posts
So, any more news on this problem????? I'm pretty frustated right now that I can't use my iPod. Spoke with a buddy of mine that spent years in the car stereo install business and he said it sounds like some problem with the AudioLink system....that it is losing contact with the iPod. It must transmit some sort of signal back and forth for the HU to recognize that it is there, and needs to be controlled by the steering wheel. Apparently it isn't transmitting the right signal, or it is interpreting it wrong.

I'm gonna call AudioLink and RPM and see if either of them has any solutions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[Hi All,

i am almost certain that heat is not the issue. In the Netherlands it is cuurently around 10 degrees celcius so it is defeinately not hot here. But loooking at the location of the audiolink under the cupholders, a large wiring treecan be found. I suspect that signals from this wiring tree might be injected in the audiolink which causes the spontaneous pausing.

cheers,

george

·
Registered
59 Posts
My audiolink is not located under the cupholder. I have it routed from the glove box.

[Hi All,

i am almost certain that heat is not the issue. In the Netherlands it is cuurently around 10 degrees celcius so it is defeinately not hot here. But loooking at the location of the audiolink under the cupholders, a large wiring treecan be found. I suspect that signals from this wiring tree might be injected in the audiolink which causes the spontaneous pausing.

cheers,

george
[/b]

·
Registered
593 Posts
Spoke with RPM just a few minutes ago. He's sending me some replacement parts to try and narrow down the problem. We should have a fix here shortly!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have this same problem with using the AuxMOD. When I plug the input into the IPOD, it could play for a couple hours then pause or could happen 5 minutes into listening.

So maybe its something in the headunit???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, sounds like an HU connection problem. My Auxmod works great but my audiolink is the problem.

Good luck!

I have this same problem with using the AuxMOD. When I plug the input into the IPOD, it could play for a couple hours then pause or could happen 5 minutes into listening.

So maybe its something in the headunit???
[/b]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

I solved the problem. Or at least the pausing happens only very seldomly now. I rerouted the audiolink wiring to the other side (left side) of the gear shift, away from the Mazda wiring backbone. Theoretically there should be less induced interference from the mazda wiring. The theory seems to work.

If the interference is indeed the cause of the pausing, a shielded cable instead of an unshielded cable would be a good product improvement for the Audiolink.

George

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi,

I installed the ipod audiolink to my '04 6cd changer. i did the soldering on the HU. everything worked fine for a year. now suddenly one day i turn on the car HU won't go into EX1.

i took off negative terminal of battery, no good.
my audiolink unit is right under the cup holder, with the wire coming in between the crack of the cupholder.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also had a problem with the first AudioLink I got. Installed in the armrest between the seats, at first it worked fine, but after a day or 2 the HU stopped seeing it, and the only way to get it back was to either reach behind the dash and unplug it for a minute or disconnect the battery. Contacted RPM, they sent me a replacement and all has been fine since.

Going back to the orginil problem in this post, the ipod pausing. It may be some confusion between the audio link and your car kit. If you have a radio mute on the car kit, the phone may send a signal to the car kit for just about anything, for example battery low, Text meesage or any warning. This could be briefly triggering the mute signal, which although is not enough to actually mute the radio is enough to send a signal to the Audiolink. Try creating a handsfree profile on your Nokia phone with all warning and message tones turned off.

This is just a theory however.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Still having the same problems with the replacement.

I got a replacement from Donny a couple weeks ago. I installed it, it worked perfect for a couple days, and I haven't been able to get the radio to recognize I have the audiolink since.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm having the same problem.
Shortly before Christmas, I noticed that when we plugged in my buddies Ipod touch, it would pause suddenly. I figured it was because it was a new Ipod and my audiolink is old.

Then a couple of days later, it stopped working altogether.
I also have it run underneath the cupholders, but I doubt it's a heat issue. It's winter here and the temp has barely gone over 0C (32F I think), and the Audiolink unit doesn't feel hot.

I talked to RPM and they sent me a new one. I just tried installing it. Plugged it in first, to make sure it would work. The ipod screen turns on, show's it charging, and then shuts off. The HU won't recognize the audiolink or let me switch to EX1.
I'm taking my car in for Service later this month, I'll try to get them to look at the HU.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts