Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it, So I’m leaving my house this morning at 8am, and the roads are wet in patches (rained a little last night at about 45 degrees), and I attempt at making a normal right hand turn from a dead stop. Now, I’m in 1st gear, and the car had only been started for approximately 1 minute. So I see an opening in the road (a fairly busy route in the morning hours), and I release the clutch normally and my rear wheels start spinning. So i push the clutch in and try it again, and the car starts moving. Keep in mind that there are patches of wet pavement; DSC is on; handbrake is down; released the clutch normally; and whatever else might affect the AWD system not to work properly.

Then I tried to replicate what happened about 1 mile down the road (too a little detour), with wet pavement, everything the same (even the engine is still at “C”). Guess what happens? Everything worked perfectly fine! No wheel spin, no nothing!

So what could it be?

(This has happend a few times in the past, but w/ the engine having driven for 10+ miles. I just neglected it to be some ice or what not, and just brushed it off)

*EDIT- The front wheels didn't seemed as if they moved at all. Also, the car really acted like my MX5 Miata used to do.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mechanically, the car can't turn the rear wheels only.
If I pull out into a turn on wet pavement it doesn't take much to whip the back end out. I even got sideways once doing that.
I know thats not quite what happened to you, but thats the input I've got.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't know what happend, but it really worried me.
Thanks for the info.
Anyone else might have an answer for what happend?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
when the coupling engages 100%, bascially its its acting like a locked diff like a 4x4 suv.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Any car with an LSD in rear will tend to hang it out in same situation, if high rear axle torque is requested. You can reduce the rear LSD grab by adding a small bottle of GM rear axle LSD friction modifier.

If you can't adjust to it, try the gm additive. Tamed the torsen on my FD rx7 .. had same issue.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I bet your car slid because you were too busy reading your copy of Playgirl magazine instead of feathering the pedal.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I bet your car slid because you were too busy reading your copy of Playgirl magazine instead of feathering the pedal.
[/b]
wth? did he steal your copy of the Playgirl magazine and put you in a bad mood?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I am not sure about your scenario. But it happens to me all the time if one of the wheels start slipping and with the DSC on, the car will cut power instantly and you got throw forward as if someone put a brake on your car. This is what I experienced especially when the road is wet and particularly obvious and mostly on an incline.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wth? did he steal your copy of the Playgirl magazine and put you in a bad mood?
[/b]
Haha, good one!

What if i did? :p lol

I am not sure about your scenario. But it happens to me all the time if one of the wheels start slipping and with the DSC on, the car will cut power instantly and you got throw forward as if someone put a brake on your car. This is what I experienced especially when the road is wet and particularly obvious and mostly on an incline.
[/b]
With mine, the DSC didn't catch it. The wheels started to spin so crazy, that it got really tailhappy!
I belive it was wet in the spot of, but it was not an incline what so ever.

I don't know, maybe it was some type of driver error... Maybe if i didn't push the cluch, the DSC would have caught it....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
wth? did he steal your copy of the Playgirl magazine and put you in a bad mood? [/b]
I'm just bustin' balls...I'm sure he doesn't mind. :D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find it rather comical! lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Mechanically, the car can't turn the rear wheels only.
If I pull out into a turn on wet pavement it doesn't take much to whip the back end out. I even got sideways once doing that.
I know thats not quite what happened to you, but thats the input I've got.
[/b]
Oh yeah. Found this out a few times, particularly with DSC off. Each time, it occurred when taking a left hand turn on a main road. You see a gap in the traffic, accelerate moderately hard to make sure you clear all traffic (but nothing irresponsible), and then the damn back-end of the car whips out as if your going to do a 180 and you look like your trying to pull a Bo in the Dukes of Hazards.

Fortunately, I have not had a cop see me does this and I am not sure he would believe my explanation. :drive:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts