Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Very nice showing @fireandicekarim. This just reminded me that I made a proof-of-concept piece for testing last week:

The fact that I forgot about it is enough for me to conclude that it isn't affecting comfort in the seat. As far as installing it in the seat seam -- holy shit is it a bear. I spent so much time stretching the seam apart to measure the thread spacing and try to slot the cording appropriately. Damn near impossible to get right. I may revisit the idea sometime down the road and try to find a better way to get the right slot spacing because I think it could look really nice.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think I'll have to go w/ the white, that looks great.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is an absolutely genius level mod by Donkey Grundle! Standing O level stuff (at least for us w/ all black interiors on our touring model 6's)!!

By far the most inexpensive to great looking ratio mods I've done on the car.

I went w/ the white trim, and it breaks up the monotony of the all-black door panels and it really makes the interior pop.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
While I agree that this silly little strip of material in the door panel makes a world of difference that can't be fully conveyed in pictures, it most certainly wasn't my idea. I found out about it when @mdanishyar posted about it and I'm pretty sure he got it from some Camaro guys.

You're right, though. I was just driving down the freeway this morning admiring the interior and how complete it looks with that little strip.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Very nice showing @fireandicekarim. This just reminded me that I made a proof-of-concept piece for testing last week:

The fact that I forgot about it is enough for me to conclude that it isn't affecting comfort in the seat. As far as installing it in the seat seam -- holy shit is it a bear. I spent so much time stretching the seam apart to measure the thread spacing and try to slot the cording appropriately. Damn near impossible to get right. I may revisit the idea sometime down the road and try to find a better way to get the right slot spacing because I think it could look really nice.

That would look great, but geez....when I just did a little test to see how much space there was it would be hard as hell trying to squeeze that in there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah it's tough to get into the seam. I'm not sure I'd want to spend the time to pipe a good portion of the seat, and not have a way to make it more permanent without damaging the seat. I can see some article or body part snagging the piping, having it pop out, and me shouting expletives haha.

That would look great, but geez....when I just did a little test to see how much space there was it would be hard as hell trying to squeeze that in there.

·
Super Moderator
17,231 Posts
@Horn17 Here's your solution to that problem: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Digitizer-Incredible-Thunderbolt-Sensation/dp/B00CSDTEUO[/ame]

I'm certainly going to do the side trim mod, but as much as I want to do white, I need to match the red stitching everywhere.

·
Registered
582 Posts
@Horn17 Here's your solution to that problem: http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Digitizer-Incredible-Thunderbolt-Sensation/dp/B00CSDTEUO

I'm certainly going to do the side trim mod, but as much as I want to do white, I need to match the red stitching everywhere.

Thanks for the suggestion, but after accessing the situation, I'm not sure how good the seat piping would look (especially in just that one area); it would need to be on a lot more areas of the seat (both front and rear) for it to look good and I'm not sure I feel like double-side taping everything and I think eventually that stuff would come loose.

It might end up being too much of a good thing and look overdone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
While I agree that this silly little strip of material in the door panel makes a world of difference that can't be fully conveyed in pictures, it most certainly wasn't my idea. I found out about it when @mdanishyar posted about it and I'm pretty sure he got it from some Camaro guys.

You're right, though. I was just driving down the freeway this morning admiring the interior and how complete it looks with that little strip.
Thank you bro. I was surprised how no one besides you really took notice to the mod in jitbs thread when I posted up the pictures.

I have a liquid silver too and I think I'm going to change mine to white looks much cleaner than the red.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts