Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, just recieved my first happy snap of my car while driving.. the most expensive photo of my car yet!....was fined $135 for exceeding the speed limit by 15km/h but less than 30km/h damn... i could have gone an extra 14 k's and still paid the same price!

any one else had any unexpected mail lately?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Speeding fines!-

Man you're lucky, here in Victoria we get snapped at 1km/h over. 1-10k is one price, 11-25 is another price, and 25+ is instant bye bye lisence.

I just don't speed anymore. When it was 1-15 over I'd do 14 over all the time, but it's not worth it anymore down here... they've put fixed speed cameras everywhere... including in red light cameras so all you have to do is speed past a red light camera intersection. Worse is speeding up for a late orange light.. then they get you for speeding AND running the red.

Technology is catching up with us. Someone needs to invent a numberplate which can change it's number when you start speeding :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Speeding fines!-'

I had that idea about 3 years ago,.....but still havent seen one yet...

May be a clear BW LCD on a coloured plate??

If anyone make it into production I will be the first to get one
lol:p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Speeding fines!-'

Originally posted by Rainchild

Man you're lucky, here in Victoria we get snapped at 1km/h over. 1-10k is one price, 11-25 is another price, and 25+ is instant bye bye lisence.

:p[/b]
Victoria's stupidest speed laws resulted in both the highest national road toll & govt income ballooning over summer. Welcome to the newest police state in Oz. Dont just roll over & take it Vics, fight the Bracks bastards. How about some sort of autospraycan that can be mounted & just obliterates the view from the camera. Civil disobedience is called for. (rant over)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Victoria's stupidest speed laws resulted in both the highest national road toll & govt income ballooning over summer. Welcome to the newest police state in Oz. Dont just roll over & take it Vics, fight the Bracks bastards. How about some sort of autospraycan that can be mounted & just obliterates the view from the camera. Civil disobedience is called for. (rant over)[/b]
The biggest problem in this country, is the fact that no one will stand up, as well as a lot of "Speed Kills" serial do-gooders out there, and unfortunately on this site too. Has anyone been overseas, come back here, and wondered why the driving standard is as poor as that of USA, i.e, twats sitting in the outside lane whilst not overtaking, improper speed control, inattention, poor observation, chronically poor merging, chatting on mobile phones, etc?
It's also been said by a number of overseas visitors too. Many comment on the ridiculous speed laws, and miniscule tolerances.
It's also been said on many an occasion, that whilst Australians are good at cricket and rugby, we are, without doubt, embarrassing to the world in terms of driving standards. Even the slowest driving countries in the European Union, Sweden, Finland and Denmark are nowhere near as pedestrian as us here.
Very embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I had that idea about 3 years ago,.....but still havent seen one yet...

May be a clear BW LCD on a coloured plate??

If anyone make it into production I will be the first to get one
lol:p[/b]

go back and watch the James Bond movie "Goldfinger".

His Aston Martin had a neat revolving license plate that had I think 3 different plate numbers.

For those of us in the U.S.A., we should be grateful for nowhere near such draconian inforcement of what may or may not be unrealistic laws.

Personally, it's been my observation for several years that speed limits, their enforcement, and the publicity campaigns of "speed kills" are more aimed at revenue collection for local municipalities than they are for preventing highway deaths.

That having been said, I will not even try to defend the horrible driving habits of the majority of people in this country. It is truly embarassing. In all honesty the slogan should be "stupidity kills", not "speed kills".

So, instead of attacking the problem, which would be to train drivers better in skills as well as attitudes, we lower speed limits even more while at the same time buying more radar and lidar gear, put up more stoplights and stop signs, buy red light cameras and photo radar and smugly insist that we're doing our best at reducing traffic accidents and fatalities.

Complete and utter Bullshit, and everyone knows it. But it's a great "feel good" sound bite for the tv cameras.

But, the increases in revenue from all of these new enforcement tactics is substantial. Many small towns on interstate highways would cease to exist if you took away their radar guns. Is that really making the roads safer? I doubt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I completely agree about the state of driving skills in Australia. I have driven in every state and every capital city, along with many hours in the country, and what I've seen scares me.
I've been driving for 23 years, have had no accidents but I have received 3 letters in the mail asking me to donate to the policemen's ball. ;) I haven't been pinged in Victoria but
here in Sydney, they have embraced fixed cameras with a vengeance. Every day I drive past at least 4 spots that have fixed cameras. The worst in my area is the M2, where they've
lowered the speed limit from 100 to 70, and plopped a camera right at the bottom of a hill before a tunnel. How many people do you think they got in the first few months of installing
that ?

I think it's the same in most countries, when a government finds out how much money they can raise by just fining stupid drivers instead of investing in some proper driver training,
it's a forgone conclusion which way they'll go. Why train people and improve their life skills when you can just take their money ?

I think most NSW cameras have a reasonably high speed buffer built into them, as I have inadvertently driven past one doing at least 10 over the limit and didn't get anything
in the mail. Not that I try my luck, like most people once I know they're there, I just adjust my speed accordingly. Of course the problem with that habit is that so many people
are asleep at the wheel, don't notice until the last minute and then hit the anchors to de-accelerate ! :nono:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I haven't received any fines yet, but I fully expect to soon. Been driving "Canadian style" down here for the past few months (i.e. heavy foot). I'm bound to run into trouble eventually.

I know which camera you're talking about Oz2003... on the M2, right before the tunnel between Lane Cove and Pennant Hills... am I right? Almost got caught by that one today.

BTW... Oz2003LSH6... Subaru owner? I could be wrong. I'm driving a Subie down here. Got me thinking twice about buy another zoom-zoom :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had a "glamour shots" ticket a couple of years ago in D.C. $50. No points. I think it was just there way of saying "thanks for passing trough our shitty city!".

·
Registered
254 Posts
...a lot of "Speed Kills" serial do-gooders out there...[/b]
Speed doesn't kill, it's stopping really fast after hitting something that does.

You can die in your vehicle at less than the indicated speed, surely governments know that we're not that stupid? People die in head on accidents all the time whilst keeping to the speed or under it. T-Boning anyone on the right side generally makes a mess of things too, plus Victorians can't seem to negotiate a sweeping corner either and trees come out to meet them. There's been to many a time that I've seen a flower arrangement beside a tree on a bend since i moved to Victoria.

Look, I believe that the way they hand out licences here in Australia is completely and utterly wrong. I know that in Germany it's pretty tough to get your licence, and it can potentially cost thousands to get it too! However, for those thousands that they fork out to get a licence it comes with complete driver training. Apparently you're not allowed to be taught by a family member or the next door neighbour, you have to be taught via a "vicroads" type official to complete your training. There's none of this log book crap in which the learner driver fills out that they introduced here in Australia. Hello forgery! I'm so glad that i missed that when i got my licence. But, something needs to be done in the

One thing that i am over the moon with however is the nation wide introduction [i'm assuming] of the "hoon hotline". It's great. Unfortunately they'll never ever stop "hooning" but if it avoids some little f-wit killing someone then that's something. Apparently Ballarat [where i'm located] and even more so Bendigo are some of the highest offending cities to have impounded cars. Country cities with the mass populous driving Falcons and Commodores it's no wonder we have the highest offending rate.

*sigh* Anyway, what can you do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts