Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weighed my speed6 this is for a non GT version no sunroof, no leather.

1690 kgs/3725 lbs

This is with almost a full tank of gas, 55 litres/14.5 gallons. A litre weighing aprox 1kg or 2.2 lbs?
Driver weight 75 kgs/165 lbs

U guys can do the rest of the simple math....

Just if anyone wanted to know...

Guess i should change my name too!!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Daaaaamn, what a boat! So much for hopes that Mazda overrated the car's listed curb weight. I'm quite surprised Mazda even was able to get away with such skinny tires on the car from a safety standpoint.

Gasoline is 6.25 pounds per gallon at 72 degrees, but the common simple math for aviation-types is 6lbs per gallon. At 6.25 per gallon, that's 90lbs of gasoline in the fuel tank.

Thanks for getting the car weighed, in any event. Why'd you have it done? Prepping it for race?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Daaaaamn, what a boat! So much for hopes that Mazda overrated the car's listed curb weight. I'm quite surprised Mazda even was able to get away with such skinny tires on the car from a safety standpoint.

Gasoline is 6.25 pounds per gallon at 72 degrees, but the common simple math for aviation-types is 6lbs per gallon. At 6.25 per gallon, that's 90lbs of gasoline in the fuel tank.

Thanks for getting the car weighed, in any event. Why'd you have it done? Prepping it for race?
[/b]
Its that AWD. My friends VW R32 weighs somthing like 3400 LBS and it is a two door.

·
Registered
477 Posts
...by building it on a platform designed for huge luxury cars.
[/b]
Yep, The Z is on the same platform as the Maurano and FX SUV's. The Z is actually a little lighter. My 2004 is 3200lbs. The benefit is an unbelievable stiff and strong frame

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Weighed my speed6 this is for a non GT version no sunroof, no leather.
1690 kgs/3725 lbs

This is with almost a full tank of gas, 55 litres/14.5 gallons. A litre weighing aprox 1kg or 2.2 lbs?
Driver weight 75 kgs/165 lbs

U guys can do the rest of the simple math....

Just if anyone wanted to know...

Guess i should change my name too!!
[/b]
Thanks for the info wannaSpeed. Analyzing the data:

3725lbs gross, minus driver weight 165lbs = 3560lbs wet, no driver
3560lbs wet, minus full tank of gas (say 50 litres x 2lbs, since gas is lighter than water) 100lbs = 3460lbs dry.

Interestingly, R&T Speed Mag listed 3550lbs curb weight and 3730lb as tested weight (full tank, 180lb driver) in their 3 car comparo, which was using a GT. (Note: MazdaUSA claims a curb weight of 3589lbs but not sure which model and/or options. Car&Driver listed 3554lbs curb weight in their comparison test (possible pre-production car - no leather, no sunroof, weird cloth color).

Taking the driver weight out of the equation: from your data your car weighs 3560lbs with almost a full tank, but no sunroof and leather.
R&T Speed Mag tested at 3550lbs, 10lbs less than your measured weight (maybe not quite as full a tank?) yet it was the GT model.
Yet both weights are in line with C&D published test weight of 3550lbs.

Either the sunroof and leather are lighter than expected (negative weight? :) ), or somebody's scale needs a bit of calibration.

What does all this mean? Not much really, but I thought it would be good to look at the numbers a little more closely. At least you know your car is in line with expected published weights but with full fluid load.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Where do you get that number from? I recall some saying closer to 2700lbs. Sure that wasn't with driver?[/b]
The listed weight of 2960 lbs was from a member who had his own personal vehicle weighed. (no driver)

Just swapping wheels and replacing a few components easily gets the 8 down to the upper 2800's. The 2700 quote was from a completely track preped car I believe. (Interior removed, etc)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Either the sunroof and leather are lighter than expected (negative weight? :) ), or somebody's scale needs a bit of calibration.
[/b]
FWIW, the difference between the '05 LGT and '05 LGT Limited (Sunroof & Leather) is 80-90 lbs. I think the difference between the MS6 Sport and GT should be similar.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The listed weight of 2960 lbs was from a member who had his own personal vehicle weighed. (no driver)

Just swapping wheels and replacing a few components easily gets the 8 down to the upper 2800's. The 2700 quote was from a completely track preped car I believe. (Interior removed, etc)
[/b]
I'm sure that it wasn't. Let me see if I can find the post.

Edit: so far I've found 2925 for a nearly fully loaded car with 1/2 tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Just wanted to share that Mr Tea and I went to the scales to get weighed.

My ATX V6 came in at 3140
His Car ATX i4 came in at 3080

Both of us had the rear seats removed

·
Registered
1,906 Posts

[/b]
Cool, approx how much gas did each of you have? Any idea how much the rear seats weigh?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

[/b]
So that's 3210lbs with seats. Isn't your car fully loaded? What modifications?

That's hugely lighter than the Mazdaspeed. Incredible. WTF... over 400lbs for a few driveshafts, a differential, and a crappy electronic coupling?

I'd love to know what a base 6i weighs. Too bad I never got mine corner-balanced- I'm damn curious now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
22 Participants
More cowbell
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing