Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering where I could get a short shifter for the Speed6. I havn't seen any made for the Speed6. Just curious...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hey, I was wondering where I could get a short shifter for the Speed6. I havn't seen any made for the Speed6. Just curious...
[/b]
The Speed6 doesn't really have a long throw to the shift.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Speed6 doesn't really have a long throw to the shift.
[/b]
I agree. However, on the aftermarket shifter I purchased for my mustang, it has "stop bolts" to prevent you from over extending the shifter when you're banging gears. It'd be nice to have a feature like that on the speed6.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Really? I think the Speed6 has a very long throw. But I'm also used to the dual-bend Skunk2 I had in my Civic.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The MS6 doesn't really have a long throw, but the motion could be improved upon by at least 30% IMO.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
it may feel a little long, or a bit "cable-y" but the engagement is so much more positive than on the mustang gt and legacy gt i drove this weekend. i was spoiled with the twm short throw on my 3, but now i miss it a little less after seeing how the speed6 stacks up favorably against other 30k/13sec cars. in both of those cars i felt like the shifter was never actually in gear, especially bad in 1st.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the shift seemed semi-long to me... I know the WRX has a short throw shifter were all you do is add this coupling thing to the shifter and it makes the shift shorter... Anything like that exist for the Speed6?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I inquired that a month ago at TWM since they do have the Mazda 6 sport shifter but unfortunately they are ONLY considering if they are bombarded with request since 5000 MS6 isnt a large market to begin with

·
Registered
431 Posts
I inquired that a month ago at TWM since they do have the Mazda 6 sport shifter but unfortunately they are ONLY considering if they are bombarded with request since 5000 MS6 isnt a large market to begin with
[/b]
This is the email I got from TWM last week...

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our products. We do plan to release a
short shifter for the MazdaSpeed 6, however I do not have an ETA at this
time. I can tell you that it will be the next short shifter application
we release.

If you would like to sign up to our newsletter at www.twmperformance.com
you will be notified upon its release. In addition, you will be entitled
to a 5% discount on any of our products simply for signing up.

Thanks,

Kevin T.
TWM Performance

Just keep the inquiries coming to them... maybe they will build it sooner :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
There's NOTHING out there for the Speed6.... SUX!!!!
TWM will be the first company to make one if the demand is high.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
ROFL if you think Speed6 is long... "Long" is a F350.. or other TRUCK =) Med. Average might be used to describe speed6 I guess... but I test drove... Evo9... STi... Legacy GT... G35... 350z... 335i... And of all those.. the speed6 (from what I can remember) had the best feeling shift of all... Very firm... and exact.. the 335i for example has VERY loose linkage... feels like you're gonna break the thing if you slam through gears... where in the speed6... its VERY easy to miss a gear if you aren't careful its so tight...

Guess it comes down to tastes... I got my speed6 because I just love driving it... everything.. i LOVE the stock clutch.. i love the stock shift... seats.. everything is just awsome...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you want a very short throw, get a Honda S2000. Other than that, you aren't going to get significantly shorter than the MS6.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
People dislike the stock clutch that much? My friend recently got a Scion tC... not a sports car.. but he can't afford anything else right now...

Point is... when he drove mine.. he LOVED it... loved how tight and short the clutch was.. loved how short the shifter was and how firm it felt (kinda sounds gay... heh)... but yeah...

·
Registered
744 Posts
yomama- you can get alot shorter then what the ms6 has. it really is kinda long. its the only thing i dislike about this car. I cant really complain about the throw cause it is a sports sedan not a sports car. its good for what the car is but can be improved. Ill buy a short shifter when it comes out only if its like the "mazdaspeed" short shifter for the 6s. its a whole shifter and stays stock height. I did not like the twm one for the 6s. people had problems with it. I dont think ill buy the twm one unless its a full shifter. I love the way my 6s feels witht he mazdaspeed shifter in it. notchy and short mechanical feel

·
Registered
778 Posts
I sent TVM an email. If everyone does this then maybe they will make one.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
yomama- you can get alot shorter then what the ms6 has. it really is kinda long. its the only thing i dislike about this car. I cant really complain about the throw cause it is a sports sedan not a sports car. its good for what the car is but can be improved. Ill buy a short shifter when it comes out only if its like the "mazdaspeed" short shifter for the 6s. its a whole shifter and stays stock height. I did not like the twm one for the 6s. people had problems with it. I dont think ill buy the twm one unless its a full shifter. I love the way my 6s feels witht he mazdaspeed shifter in it. notchy and short mechanical feel
[/b]
My 6s is automatic so I can't compare the 6s with my MS6.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts