Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how, if possible, to post a Poll.. but i'd like some ideas on this topic...

Is the reverse in the speed6 more or less a "stupid" design flaw? Most 6 speed vehicles place reverse near 6th gear...

I almost had my car totaled today when a retarded at a tire shop.. thinking it was in reverse... drove forwards a foot or two... almost into the building... Placing Reverse and 1st in the same position is asking for trouble!

After a day or two of driving, I got used to the setup.. and haven't missed reverse or first.. since... but even still, seems like a really stupid design error.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also had to re-learn the shift pattern after selecting sixth a few times instead of reverse. It depends what you are used to I suppose. I have had several cars with reverse in the same location. It's also common in Europe/UK. Doesn't make it wrong.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I almost had my car totaled today when a retarded at a tire shop.. thinking it was in reverse... drove forwards a foot or two... almost into the building... Placing Reverse and 1st in the same position is asking for trouble!
[/b]
Totaled?
I guess you never drove 4-speeds..........

·
Registered
979 Posts
Doesn't bother me till I get in the RX8 and it is over by 6th I think it is harder to go reverse when it is there...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i like it. it's the same as many european cars i've driven.

on a high note, had the shop totaled your car you'd get a new one.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of never leavin the car in reverse when I park it. The reason is that I have this fear that when I get back to the car I'll start the car and try to accelerate and actually smash into a car behind me, since First Gear and Reverse positions look very similar when just looking at the shifter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know that VW uses the same position for 6th and i'm pretty sure that the Altima SE-R and the Accord EX also use 6th in the top left position.

All that i have seen use a push-to-insert system to avoid accidental trips into 1st but if you don't know that, obviously you think your in reverse if you put it as far left as it will go.

I make sure i point it out when i drop off my car cause otherwise how would they know unless they had seen that before. It was new to me when i frist drove the VW

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think it is stupid. All VW cars are like ours, even if it is a 5 speed reverse is still by first. Plus it shows you on the shift knob where reverse is!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like reverse where it is, Just seems easy there.
[/b]
Agreed. Having it next to first is quicker/easier than having to throw the stick all the way to the right. Having to push down means there's no ambiguity about whether you're in the right gear. On my last car, R was next to 6th, and it was much easier to accidentally put it into 6th.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a great design. Push down the stick "into" the car and push to upper left for reverse. You can't get into reverse wrong by doing that. More of a European design (see Volkswagons), but you can never (or should never) be able screw up shifting from 1st to 2nd. Most people who have never seen it can get confused, but once they know, it's pretty straight forward.

I don't know how, if possible, to post a Poll.. but i'd like some ideas on this topic...

Is the reverse in the speed6 more or less a "stupid" design flaw? Most 6 speed vehicles place reverse near 6th gear...

After a day or two of driving, I got used to the setup.. and haven't missed reverse or first.. since... but even still, seems like a really stupid design error.
[/b]

·
Registered
300 Posts
It makes more sense if you have a Right Hand drive car. The tranny and shift points are the same whether u have a left hand or right hand drive. But in a right hand drive you are starting from the inside shifting in towards u. The chances of misshifting is less. This also means you shift away for the reverse so at high speeds in upper gears the reverse is out of the way.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
I wish Mazda did this for the 5-speed on the regular 6's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the reverse as it is now, easier to shift from R to 1st and vice versa. Mind you other than VW, the newer Audi's are like that too. Maybe u had one of those 'kids' who drove your car at the shop. It's on the shifter label, how hard is that to figure out? unless you have an aftermarket shifter w/o the label. And..to tell you the truth how do you shift to 6th and move forward 1 foot or 2? If your shifter / clutch is damaged, get them to pay!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think the guy saw the label and put the car in 1st thinking he was in Reverse. Then rolled forward. Some people don't know you need to push the shifter down in order to get it to reverse. I think some older volvo's had Reverse by first also but you had to push something up/down to get it into reverse. For me if you don't know then just ask the owner. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wish Mazda did this for the 5-speed on the regular 6's.
[/b]
I do too. My old Jetta VR6 had it to the left of 1st...that's where it should be...well out of the way of the normal 1-5 (or 6) gates.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think it is stupid. All VW cars are like ours, even if it is a 5 speed reverse is still by first. Plus it shows you on the shift knob where reverse is!
[/b]
Same thing on BMWs.... my friend has a 5-speed manual and its reverse is forward and left.

I do recall driving a 5-speed SAAB with the reverse being forward and left as well.

[/b]

How would a car get "totaled" by starting in 6th gear, a few feet from a building? It would most likely stall and not have nearly enough momentum to even dent the front bumper

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got in a little bit of bind trying to turn around one day and had to back up. I was wanting to get moving in a hurry so I did the "pull back-jiggle-push forward" move really quick. Gunned it! OH SHIT! STILL REVERSE!

I shot back about 3 feet. Fortunately there was room.

What a maroon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
29 Participants
WASpeed6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing