Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a very steep dirt road at 8000 feet in Colorado. I finally got a chance to try the Speed6 in bad conditions on Saturday. We had about two inches of slush freeze under 6 inches of snow. I went out around 10 o'clock, when the snow was just starting to melt and the slush was soft again. Really slippery. I almost fell down trying to walk up the drive.

Observations:

1) The tires really, really, suck on snow and ice. If you live where you get icy slush, get them off immediately. They just spin and glaze over, or slide and glaze over.

2) The DSC doesn't help much in really bad conditions. You are better off turning it off, unless you are in some danger of sliding sideways into something. If you are stuck, turn it off. Also, if you are applying power in tough conditions for more than ten seconds or so with DSC on, you will start to smell the ugly smell of your brakes burning up.

3) The antilocks don't kick in until you are going 3-4mph. This is great. Antilock brakes are really dangerous on a very steep, very slippery surface. If they kick in on a steep slippery surface, you will just roll and roll, because you are getting so little braking traction during the microsecond that the brakes are applied. My 2002 WRX had a recall over this issue. Antilock brakes are for controlling skids on road surfaces with relatively high traction, like dry or just wet with rain. They are a liability on really slippery surfaces, and will result in longer stopping distances. As long as I kept the Speed6 creeping downhill at under about 4 mph, they didn't activate. Even in reverse, which I had to use for 1/4 mile to back down when I got stuck and could go any further up the road. This was on a 20% grade.

4) The AWD activation was seamless. It didn't really feel any different than my WRX in the snow.

No more adventures in bad weather until I get snows on there. Did I mention the tires suck on slush and ice?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the potenzas shouldn't be drive at or below freezing. you need some decent snow tires in CO.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i would love to hear some feedback from ppl who drove their speeds in the winter last year. the only thing ive seen is the winter testing video on youtube and it gives me a chub heh

·
Registered
679 Posts
The DSC won't do anything if the tires can't adhere to the road. Duh.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
my speed6 did just fine this past winter with the stockies, granted, it never got much below freezing with no snow/ice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my speed6 did just fine this past winter with the stockies, granted, it never got much below freezing with no snow/ice.
[/b]
i believe we would like to here from people who DID drive on snow and ice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm from Edmonton, Canada, and the speed6 was awesome in the winter (of course I had a set of Nokians on it) ... no complaints ...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well there is one for you. Car purchased last December in NJ. It started snowing on my way to the dealer. On my way home from the dealer I was impressed with the traction of summer tires going up the hill. The dealer told me that I will have problem leaving the lot with these tires. Well the car proved him wrong, but going down the hill at 30M/H the light turned red and I hit the brakes. Well brakes did not help and downshift to second did almost nothing. I smoked the red light going 20 and almost shit myself when I came too close to the Jeep in front. Since then hand brake was my friend on snow. I have survived the winter without changing to the snow tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Driving on snow and ice with summer tires is plain stupid. I can't believe people are so greedy, I thought life was worh more than that. :)

I will give my report after driving a couple of weeks in the swedish winter. But I'll guess I'll have to wait maybe 2-3 weeks for the first snow.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i believe we would like to here from people who DID drive on snow and ice.
[/b]
anyone who drove the stockies on ice has a judgement problem.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Anyone who drives on potenzas voluntarily is not just stupid they are looking for a death wish!!!! I just got new all season tires that are supposed to be great in the winter,so I can not wait for the 1st snowfall now I Am ready.

·
Registered
566 Posts
We all have our priorities, but, having survived a few accidents and taken care of some people who didn't, there's no question in my mind that snow tires or at least all seasons are a must in winter. You may tip the scales for more ice/snow traction (WS50s) or more dry road performance (all seasons) but to drive summer tires in snow, mud or ice needlessly puts your life, the life of your loved ones and the life of the stranger you careen into at the corner at risk... Heavy handed commercial mode off!

·
Registered
288 Posts
the potenzas shouldn't be drive at or below freezing. you need some decent snow tires in CO.
[/b]
Huh? It was 28 degrees here this morning and the tires ran fine. There was snow on the ground, but not on the roads. I don't understand the reasoning why you can't drive the car with the potenzas below freezing???

Yeah, when the snow really hits, I'll be driving my truck, but as soon as the roads clear, out comes the speed6. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Not.

I've been driving in snow for 25 years. I live on a road that has a cliff on one side, and a 20% grade, I've owned ten 4x4/AWD vehicles, and I know what I'm doing. This is a private road.

I knew the stock tires suck in snow, I just wanted to see how badly they suck. Mightily.

The Speed6 will be fine with the right tires.

And for the 'duh' comment about DSC, the DSC does help, even with the stock tires and very slippery surfaces, but only when you are already moving. From a stop it just sucks your power.

BTW, for anyone in the Denver area, the Georgetown ice races are a good place to learn how to drive on slippery surfaces without danger. You don't have to actually enter the races, they have an open session on a couple of Fridays. http://www.ourgangiceracing.com/

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning why you can't drive the car with the potenzas below freezing???
[/b]
try that soft grippy rubber at 10*F and report back. your tires will turn hard below freezing temps, and could pose a safety risk.

living most of my life in the snow belt, i understand that one can get by with decent all seasons, but driving high performance summers in the dead of winter is just plain silly. why would you buy an expensive sports sedan in the snow belt and skimp on winter tires? you should at least consider all-seasons for winter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be able to afford tires, or rims and tires, this winter. Has anyone tried syping (sp) the stockers or have any thoughts on it?
[/b]
The actual tread pattern is not the concern in snow/ice driving. Most summer tires have adequate void area and siping to clear out water. The concern lies in the compound of the tire. Summer tires are made to perform in high heat applications by being soft and sticky. When the weather outside turns much below freezing the tread turns rock solid and cannot grip the road. All season and winter tires are formulated differently and can stay pliable in a much larger range of temperature.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those summer tires will turn into the hardest, least grippy rubber at freezing temps. Just wait. When I lived in Kzoo I needed snow tires. Snow tires in cold/snowy weather is a must with the MS6 or it is just a matter of time before you need body work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts