Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Quick question. Maybe its just me but I feel that cruise control on the highway is burning alot more fuel than just cruising in 6th gear. I drive alot for work so Im trying to keep my foot off the pedal and just wanna know if its been proven that cruise control saves gas or not?? I love 6th in this car... i can float in and out of traffic without down shifting and like i said b4 it just seems that im burning less fuel this way. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!!

Chris

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think i get better milage on the highway when I use Cruise. Ii drive 90 miles a day and I have noticed better milage with the cruise on.

·
Registered
595 Posts
all it does is keep a constant speed/rpm....this will save gas b/c inevitably you will rev higher then let off, rev high/get off the gas to maintain a constant speed - this uses more gas.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have found that the Speed runs cleaner around 3k rpm than anywhere else.
ON the highway at 3k we were pulling 27+. Around the 70mph speed limit and 2.5k, we were only getting 26+. And DID note the difference at fuel stops.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found that the Speed runs cleaner around 3k rpm than anywhere else.
ON the highway at 3k we were pulling 27+. Around the 70mph speed limit and 2.5k, we were only getting 26+. And DID note the difference at fuel stops.
[/b]
Im brilliant! I have been running my car this way for sometime now. I shift at 3k during the week and i redline on the weekend!!! :dmetal: Thanks everyone for the help... I will start reporting my results.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You don't want to use the cruise control while driving up hills.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've got a couple of decent length trips under the speed6's belt, 250-600 miles each, and cruise definitely increaese mpg. with cruise set i get about 27 mpg and without 25-26 on the highway.

i've also noticed that now that the car's got 4,700 miles & mobile1 full synthetic my city mpg has increased from 21 to 22.8 on average.

M

·
0 Posts
I have about 2500 miles of highway driving on my Speed now, and I get better mileage using the cruise control. In relatively flat states I've been getting 32 mpg if I cruise at 80 and around 29 mpg when I start to hit hills. The cruise control doesnt jump the rpm all over the place wasting fuel when you hit hills like older cruise control systems with their vacuum actuated systems. I have cruised at 85( and higher ) and that dropped my mileage to around 26 mpg in flat states so I would imagine hills would be slightly worse. This was all on a completely stock Speed so I'm looking forward to see how the CPE intake will help my next 1600 mile trip coming up.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have about 2500 miles of highway driving on my Speed now, and I get better mileage using the cruise control. In relatively flat states I've been getting 32 mpg if I cruise at 80 and around 29 mpg when I start to hit hills.
[/b]
Wow! I'm jealous. I only get about 23~24mpg using the cruise control set to just under 80mph. Bummer...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have about 2500 miles of highway driving on my Speed now, and I get better mileage using the cruise control. In relatively flat states I've been getting 32 mpg if I cruise at 80 and around 29 mpg when I start to hit hills. The cruise control doesnt jump the rpm all over the place wasting fuel when you hit hills like older cruise control systems with their vacuum actuated systems. I have cruised at 85( and higher ) and that dropped my mileage to around 26 mpg in flat states so I would imagine hills would be slightly worse. This was all on a completely stock Speed so I'm looking forward to see how the CPE intake will help my next 1600 mile trip coming up.
[/b]
How do you calculate the difference fuel economy between "flat" and "when you start to hit hills"?

M

·
0 Posts
I started my last trip in central Texas and ended up Maryland. My mileage from Texas through central Tennesee was 32 mpg (relatively flat) and my mileage was 29 mpg from there through Virginia ( hills, mountains, etc.) and on to Maryland. I went out of my way to maintain a consistent speed and fight the urge to zip through traffic just to see what I could get. I have made 900 mile trips running 85-100 on flat ground and mileage drops to around 25 mpg quick. The cruise control helps alot because I just can't keep my foot that steady for that long. It seems my foot has a problem with other people passing me ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
middman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing