Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SEE PAGE 3 FOR UPDATED DYNO RESULTS

got my baseline dyno today, I dont have any mods on the car. I did have the reflash done on 8-7-6, and it is the most current version available as I had the dealer hook my car up today to check for an update - there is none.

Anyway, happy with the results. Runs were done on a dyno dynamics machine, which will typically read lower than a mustang dyno, and much lower than a dynojet. It is a great dyno to tune on though.

243.8 whp and 262 wtq

With an 18% drivtrain loss, which I think is conservative for an AWD car - 243.8 awhp indicates 297 hp at the crank. ~262 wheel ftlbs indicates 320 crank torque ftlbs.

This should settle the debate that the reflash lowers power. Boost still spiked to 17, held 15 to about 4400. Between 4400-5700 it was slowly decreaseing from 15-13.5. At 5700, it started to nosedive ending at about 4.5 lbs at redline.

I did try to attach the dyno graphs, but it says the file is too large - anyone that cares to help me resize them will allow the rest to see the graphs. please PM me if you want to help. I could email them to someone, and then they could post them if necessary. I have the Hp and Tq curves on one graph, and the boost curve and AF curve on another graph.

By the way, this was done with 93 octane Shell gas, with around 80-85 degree temps during testing. There was a fan blowing on the radiator, and one with ducting attached to it to the intercooler. The hood was open during the tests.

[Editted by Mazda Gremlyn]
Here are your graphs as promised. Click them and you will get the larger version.

·
Registered
440 Posts
got my baseline dyno today, I dont have any mods on the car. I did have the reflash done on 8-7-6, and it is the most current version available as I had the dealer hook my car up today to check for an update - there is none.

Anyway, happy with the results. Runs were done on a dyno dynamics machine, which will typically read lower than a mustang dyno, and much lower than a dynojet. It is a great dyno to tune on though.

243.8 whp and 262 wtq

With an 18% drivtrain loss, which I think is conservative for an AWD car - 243.8 awhp indicates 297 hp at the crank. ~262 wheel ftlbs indicates 320 crank torque ftlbs.
This should settle the debate that the reflash lowers power. Boost still spiked to 17, held 15 to about 4400. Between 4400-5700 it was slowly decreaseing from 15-13.5. At 5700, it started to nosedive ending at about 4.5 lbs at redline.

I did try to attach the dyno graphs, but it says the file is too large - anyone that cares to help me resize them will allow the rest to see the graphs. please PM me if you want to help. I could email them to someone, and then they could post them if necessary. I have the Hp and Tq curves on one graph, and the boost curve and AF curve on another graph.

By the way, this was done with 93 octane Shell gas, with around 80-85 degree temps during testing. There was a fan blowing on the radiator, and one with ducting attached to it to the intercooler. The hood was open during the tests.
[/b]
Sounds good, too bad you didn't have a before to see if the reflash actually helped power.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice numbers. Although I am usually not one to check math, I came up with some different numbers.

243.8 @ 18% loss = 287.68
262.0 @ 18% loss = 309.16

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did I do the math wrong? I just took

297 x .82 = 243

320 x .82 = 262

whatever, the engine is still making good power after the flash.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nice numbers. Although I am usually not one to check math, I came up with some different numbers.

243.8 @ 18% loss = 287.68
262.0 @ 18% loss = 309.16
[/b]
You are doing it backwards, the % comes off the flywheel numbers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
did I do the math wrong? I just took

297 x .82 = 243

320 x .82 = 262
whatever, the engine is still making good power after the flash.
[/b]

Nope, wasn't your math...twas mine.

Reason number 457 "not" to show up to class drunk :huh:

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
E-mail me the pictures and I'll get them posted for you (e-mail in profile).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
email sent

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I added the graphs in for you in the first post.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot - they look great although I see an error on my part. On the second graph, the numbers on the right side are for the Air/Fuel curve only - not the boost curve. I cut off the boost curve numbers on the left side which are on a different scale. I will try to send you a new picture of that. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Well, I didn't make them look any different :p They numbers are impressive though!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, I sent you another graph that you can use to replace the one that is currently there. Thanks alot for your help, and in adding MS6 to the title. I didnt do that since I originally posted in the Mazdaspeed section.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
No problem, happy to help :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
could you possibly delete posts 3-13 after fixing the graph? It would really clean up this post then as none of this info is relevant. thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Man now i REALLY think there is something wrong with my A/F's I have seen as low as 9.1 on my car so far <sigh> Nice run though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Man now i REALLY think there is something wrong with my A/F's I have seen as low as 9.1 on my car so far <sigh> Nice run though.
[/b]
They are really running this car rich. Carbon buildup will be a huge problem, some combustion chamber cleaner will be needed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as you can see, my A/F drops below 9.9-1 also, which is the lowest that the wideband will read. So mine is no different than any other MS6. Although, the dyno operator said that most factory turbo cars do run this rich. He custum tunes many Sub's and Evo's here - basically all in the Missouri and central/southern Illinois area as this is the only awd dyno around.

·
Registered
440 Posts
as you can see, my A/F drops below 9.9-1 also, which is the lowest that the wideband will read. So mine is no different than any other MS6. Although, the dyno operator said that most factory turbo cars do run this rich. He custum tunes many Sub's and Evo's here - basically all in the Missouri and central/southern Illinois area as this is the only awd dyno around.
[/b]
I believe they are running this rich to keep intake charge cool, expecially the considering poor pereformance of the TMIC...leaning out may not net any more HP, but it would appear there's plenty of fuel for a MBC to crank up the boost some.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmmm, I guess it can always be calibration errors, but take a look at this dyno run from Fujita for their intake for the MS6. So who's dyno telling the truth? :irate:

I would think if Fujita was trying to sell more CAI for our cars, they would have higher numbers, don't you think? :huh:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Hmmm, I guess it can always be calibration errors, but take a look at this dyno run from Fujita for their intake for the MS6. So who's dyno telling the truth? :irate:

I would think if Fujita was trying to sell more CAI for our cars, they would have higher numbers, don't you think? :huh:

[/b]

Fujita is in Cali, we all know how this car retards timing with 91 octane.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts