Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers seat in my 2004 Wagon was in pretty rough shape. Torn bolster, collapsed right hand side with metal sticking into my back. I tried finding a replacement seat but zero luck. I saw MazdaSpeed 3 seats on ebay and really liked the way they looked. I took the plunge and ordered a set. I paid ~$450 shipped for the pair.

They sort of bolt in... sort of. Couldn't find any info on the swap so here's how to do it. It takes lots of drilling to pull this off. I highly recommend I brand new set of quality drill bits before starting. You'll be drilling out 24 steel rivets. I did some welding too but you could probably skip this step and be fine. What else you'll need-

8 M8x16mm hex bolts
16 M8 nuts
butt splices
Angle Grinder with cut off and grinding wheel

Here's instructions for drivers seat. It's pretty much identical for the passenger side. Where it wasn't I noted the difference.

-Swap the seat belt buckle and it's wiring from the original seat to the speed3 seat. It's a direct unbolt/bolt on affair. The sensor in the buckle is different between the cars.

-Unclip the wiring harness from the under side of seat. Cut the connector for the air bag and seat position sensor off with as much wire as you can still intact. You need to splice these onto the speed3 seats.

Here's where I did some welding that you could skip. I swapped the connector holder from my original seat onto the speed3 seat. If it didn't bother you the connectors could just hang out under the seat.

And some zip ties to clean it all up-

Now for the fun part, Drilling out a million steel rivets. What you need to do is swap the feet from the 6 seat rails onto the 3 seat rails. This requires drilling out the steel rivets that hold them on. Center punch the rivet to give your drill bit a place to bite into. Then drill a 3/16-1/4 pilot hole about halfway through the rivet. Drill the head of the rivet off with 3/8-7/16 drill bit. Then use your center punch to knock out the rivet. This needs to be done to both 6 seats and only the drivers side speed3 seat. The passenger side Speed3 seat has a double seat rail and is bolted not riveted. Just unbolt the lower rail from the upper. You'll reuse those bolts to hold on the 6 feet.

For the front feet one bolt hole is already there, the other you'll have to drill. The rear has both holes already there.

The drivers seat needs a bracket on the bottom cut back-

On the drivers side you'll need to grind the front foot bolts back flush with the nuts. The area under these bolts in the car needs to be "massaged" slightly with a hammer for the nuts to clear. The passenger side doesn't need this.

And there you go! Total process took about 4 hours start to finish and the results are fantastic. I like these so much better than the stock seats. They look better and hold you in better. The passenger seat sits ~1.5" lower which is fine by me. Everytime I sat in the passenger side it felt super high.

·
Rally Racer
2,730 Posts
@banzairx7 Well done mate. I needed to do this with my tan cloth in the wagon but managed to score a low mileage set of leather from the same year in a local yard. I grabbed front, back and door panels. Certainly nothing as cool as the ones you put in.
Do you have any airbag errors? Airbag light should stay lit for 6-7 seconds at start and then go out to indicate everything is good.

Once again great work and excellent write-up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do I have an air bag light but should be an easy fix.The code is for the passenger side seat belt buckle. I did the passenger seat first and just hooked the new speed 3 seat belt buckle wire up. Then I got the air bag light. That's when I figured out you need to reuse the seat belt buckle from the original seat. Just need to swap the buckles and should be good to go.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wow, nice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts