28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of selling the speed 6 and getting into a M3. opinions
Ill miss the AWD but ready for a change
I cant find anything comparing the two cars, no youtube videos, nothing

·
Registered
884 Posts
m3....nasty car. I doubt you'll find a direct comparrison of the two cars, instead maybe a race or something. But stock for stock m3 will def smoke us. If you got the cash buy it.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Nicely said, Greg. Come back to the place that rhymes with fixflew.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
well the e46 is the more reliable of the many reditions. not including the e90-93 since it being so new it hasnt really built a track record yet.

maintenence will definitely be more for the m3, but the repair costs will be less since it doesnt break as much.

definitely faster, will probably handle quite a bit better as well. your insurance may go up with the M3 over the speed tho. or maybe not, since it may be considered a safer car, but i know on most insurance companies, they consider all M version bmw's a liability pretty much.

the m3 has wayyyy more potential for power than the speed if thats what you are into. of course modding the speed, may be a bit cheaper parts wise, but the speed tends to break with mods or without.

honestly, this decision is basically what your pocket can take and where ur heart is with modding or not modding

·
Registered
400 Posts
If I had the money I would get the M3. But there is nothing worse than people that buy a car and then can't afford it cause it breaks. I used to be a service writer and all the time people would navs and such to ook cool. But couldn't afford to fix it cause of thecar payments.

If you got it do it. if not hold back.

·
Registered
353 Posts
heres a good thread for you........ i always look at the m3 forums to see what people are doing because im gonna get that or the m5

E46 M3 Reliability POLL. - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)
I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but that thread is misleading.

1) Before the warranty is up, all maintenance is free from BMW, so those repairs don't have as much of a negative emotional impact on the owner since they are not out of pocket..

2) The M3 is obviously a high performing machine, so owners will be less picky when issues come along and accept it as the nature of the beast. Lots of the time, they see repairing broken items as regular maintenance.

3) From experience I can say as good of as the M3 is, the E46 tends to have numerous issues especially with water leaks, alternators, window regulators, interior and exterior trim quality, burnt exterior and interior lights, sunroof actuators and the list goes on and on. Granted, there will be some that have been free of issues.

All in All, I would go for the m3 cause it's an animal, but you've been warned.

Edit: This is an excerpt from that thread.
3270399 said:
Originally Posted by NVS PWR
02 smg 95k- maintained well - 100% reliable
&
02 6spd 89k well maintained- 100% reliable

cant complain - both cars driven daily- plenty of high spirited days

biggest repairs:

Smg pump at 76k- $1950
window regulator $ 200
rtabs wear and tear- $220
alternators on both cars $500
washer nozzles- $55

3270549 said:
That doesn't sound 100% reliable to me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts