Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I am new to the whole turbo world and don't know to much about them. Ever since my first car I have been an Acura guy and just last week purchased a Speed 6. What I want to know is the main difference between the Speed 6 turbo/engine and the wrx turbo/boxer style engine. Which is better? Before I bought the Speed 6, I test drove the wrx and did not like it at all, but when it boost it did feal a lot more powerful then the Speed 6 did. Also why is there such a huge range in 0-60 times for the Mazda? I have seen times as high as 6.5 and as low as 5.4? What is it?

thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Guys,
I am new to the whole turbo world and don't know to much about them. Ever since my first car I have been an Acura guy and just last week purchased a Speed 6. What I want to know is the main difference between the Speed 6 turbo/engine and the wrx turbo/boxer style engine. Which is better? Before I bought the Speed 6, I test drove the wrx and did not like it at all, but when it boost it did feal a lot more powerful then the Speed 6 did. Also why is there such a huge range in 0-60 times for the Mazda? I have seen times as high as 6.5 and as low as 5.4? What is it?

thanks
[/b]

as for the difference between engines, inline engines tend to be more stout. i say tend because there is alwasy the outcast, and subaru makes some good engines. with the boxer engine you get the boxer rumble from the enequal length headers, they sound good. the wrx has a 50:50 awd setup. the ms6 is 100:0 to 50:50. the mazda's accel times have a large range, because it seriously depends on the type of launch you give it. the speed 6 traps higher mph through the 1/4 so from a roll its faster. either one you pick is a great car. both are strong and both have their weak components if you drive them wrong or too hard. enjoy what you own. its a hell of a car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Guys,

thanks
[/b]

I have to say boxer 2.5 turbos does have some punch to it, i was driving my wife legacy gt turbo and for some reason it felt like, it was pulling more than my speed6 at launch, seem the reflash my speed6 is more of a 123456 kind of power delivery, before the second reflash it was brutal hit it and it is gone, but i have to say i get to 90 120 or 130 way faster then my wife's gt, and the handling if u have notice in the speed6 is like great. Any how the wrx engine is a flat 4 oppose and ours is a inline 4, i guess the bigest diff is the engines vibartions. and they both have advantages and disavantages, my wife's car got that weird spiting kind of noise when push and ours got that whinning noise. the thing is their not to far a part but the layaout is different

i hope that help

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
my wife's car got that weird spiting kind of noise when push and ours got that whinning noise. the thing is their not to far a part but the layaout is different

i hope that help
[/b]
yeah that rumbling spitting noise is the enequal length headers that are on the subaru's from the factory. the opposed block and the enqeual length headers make each side of the engine have the noise at a slightly different timing. both cars are amazing. you cant say anything to deflate either of the two cars.

·
Registered
440 Posts
yeah that rumbling spitting noise is the enequal length headers that are on the subaru's from the factory. the opposed block and the enqeual length headers make each side of the engine have the noise at a slightly different timing. both cars are amazing. you cant say anything to deflate either of the two cars.
[/b]
The Speed6 is an order of magnitude better in the interior, fit, finish and overall build quality. IMO there's no comparision. Powerwise the Speed 6 has more stock for stock but a bit more weight to haul around, but the bigger cabin, nicer build is well worth the extra weight IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/b]

Does the WRX have a better turbo then the speed 6 does? It is as if I give gas and the car just moves, but it doesnt feel like a turbo is there..whereas the WRX feels like its a turbo car. So i guess what I want to know is A) Does the Wrx have a better/bigger turbo? B) Does the speed6 engine just respond to throttle better and thats why it is more linear and you cant really feel the turbo spool?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
the mazda uses a lot of ecu BS to control how it feels. the car was build as a nice car, not a tuner car. if you bypass the stock boost controller and throw on an aftermarket one, you will feel the "surge" most people relate to "turbo power". the speed has that same power, but puts it down much more sensibly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the mazda uses a lot of ecu BS to control how it feels. the car was build as a nice car, not a tuner car. if you bypass the stock boost controller and throw on an aftermarket one, you will feel the "surge" most people relate to "turbo power". the speed has that same power, but puts it down much more sensibly.
[/b]

yess sensibly i like the wording :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
he didn't say anything about lack of acceleraction....it's that umph (?) that you feel when a turbo kicks in that is lacking. the only time i've been in a speed was on the track, and it had no umph....felt like a high hp all motor setup.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I think the two turbos are actually close in size. The speed6 uses the Hitatchi KO4 (a popular upgrade for many of the VW GTI crowd) and the Subie uses the IHI VF39. I don't think there are many specs out on either, I looked for both and found little.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the two turbos are actually close in size. The speed6 uses the Hitatchi KO4 (a popular upgrade for many of the VW GTI crowd) and the Subie uses the IHI VF39. I don't think there are many specs out on either, I looked for both and found little.
[/b]

Yea thats exactly what it feels like. I think the car is fun to drive, so dont get me wrong on that...but i was just wondering why it felt as if it just picked up speed with no noticable turbo power. I think the speed 6 is faster then the Wrx, especially from a roll. Someone said that the 6 uses BS ECU stuff to make it more of a smooth ride? Is this really the case, or is the WRX turbo just bigger with more PSI?

·
Registered
820 Posts
you guys need to compare the sti to the speed 6 more then the wrx to the speed 6. they have a more similar engine/turbo/power combination.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
what you guys feel is more low end tq in the mazda. its a smoother accel. the ms6 has 15.5 psi the wrx has 12 or so. also the direct injection of the mazda has an effect on accel smoothness. i believe it has to do with how low the ms6 spools in comparision to the wrx. i hear my turbo going nuts by 2500rpm. the wrx picks up its full spool over 3000

·
Registered
149 Posts
but i was just wondering why it felt as if it just picked up speed with no noticable turbo power.
[/b]
I think I need to go drive a subaru, because I surely feel my turbo kick in! I had a guy in a 3 pull up next to me at a light, and he asked me how I liked the car. One of the qustions he asked (long light) was if it was smooth. After thinking about it I said no, because I feel the turbo kick in so hard, but I did say that that is a good feeling. Maybe I need to drive some other turbo cars if you guys rhink this turbo is not as noticable as others.

·
Registered
820 Posts
believe me, you have no idea what lag is then, the ms6 is the smoothest turbo car I've had so far. The only thing that was close to it was the S4. the aftermarket turbo cars i've had (M3's with 20G's) had a ton of lag, the power is On/Off almost. As soon as you upgrade to a bigger Garrett turbo or something like that you'll feel the difference as well.

Edit: I also had an '02 2.0l WRX and that had a lot more lag compared to the MS6 as well, the car had almost no torque off boost, you would "feel" the turbo kick in like clockwork as soon as it spooled up. Again I'm talking about all these in their stock forms.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hmmm... a friend of mine has an EVO and an STI. I may need to go for a ride to understand what you're saying, because I really felt that our turbo kicked in hard. I really felt as if someone was kicking the car in the butt at 2500rpm to get it going. This is good news to me knowing that the lag is minimal in the MS6 since I dislike the pre turbo feeling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you guys need to compare the sti to the speed 6 more then the wrx to the speed 6. they have a more similar engine/turbo/power combination.
[/b]

Well the reason I said WRX is because it is comperable in speed. The Sti is a different class I thought and is a hella faster then the Speed 6. Am I wrong on this?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts