1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding tire choices.
I have a '06 MS6 with 12500 miles.
I am running the stock 18" wheels with P zero nero 215 45 18
They initially did well, with no trouble in light snow when new. pretty reasonable wet traction as well. Over the last 2000 miles, they have been wearing unevenly esp L rear. Alignment has been checked by dealer and cleared. I have had them at 35psi, but now have them at 38 psi.
treadlife looks like it is going to have trouble getting thru winter.

the question is , to get all seasons in the stock size, i don't have a lot of choices.
i am not crazy about getting another set of the pirellis
can i go to 225 40 18 without any trouble? I have read on a different forum that the fit is tight on the speed 6 and i may have to roll fender to fit that size. to me, there seems to be plenty of room between tire and mounting arm.

i have been reading this forum and seems like good, reasonably priced alternatives are the proxes 4, Ecsta ASX, yoko avid 4 or the falkens.

any thoughts??

thanks

·
Registered
940 Posts
Question regarding tire choices.
I have a '06 MS6 with 12500 miles.
I am running the stock 18" wheels with P zero nero 215 45 18
They initially did well, with no trouble in light snow when new. pretty reasonable wet traction as well. Over the last 2000 miles, they have been wearing unevenly esp L rear. Alignment has been checked by dealer and cleared. I have had them at 35psi, but now have them at 38 psi.
treadlife looks like it is going to have trouble getting thru winter.

the question is , to get all seasons in the stock size, i don't have a lot of choices.
i am not crazy about getting another set of the pirellis
can i go to 225 40 18 without any trouble? I have read on a different forum that the fit is tight on the speed 6 and i may have to roll fender to fit that size. to me, there seems to be plenty of room between tire and mounting arm.

i have been reading this forum and seems like good, reasonably priced alternatives are the proxes 4, Ecsta ASX, yoko avid 4 or the falkens.

any thoughts??

thanks
[/b]
I cannot find any with the proper load rating in that size .

225/45/18 has a few though (and keeps the speedo a touch more accurate than the 225/40/18. 225 width on stock wheels (they will vary some within the size depending on mfg) should fit fine in most cases without rubbing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i see that the AVON's come in that size on tire rack.
my friend has them on his regular 6 and likes them alot.
I don't know much about them, but they seem to get good reviews.

thanks, i see that the AVON's come in that size on tire rack.
my friend has them on his regular 6 and likes them alot.
I don't know much about them, but they seem to get good reviews.
[/b]

i see that the Kumho ast some in 225/40R-18XL 92H
wouldn't this work? I think this is the same rating as the pirellis i have on now.

thanks

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I cannot find any with the proper load rating in that size .

225/45/18 has a few though (and keeps the speedo a touch more accurate than the 225/40/18. 225 width on stock wheels (they will vary some within the size depending on mfg) should fit fine in most cases without rubbing.
[/b]
The problem is the factory 7 inch wide wheel. 225/40R18 needs a 7.5 inch wide wheel. The better option would be the 225/45R18, which is allowed to be mounted on a 7 inch wide wheel.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The problem is the factory 7 inch wide wheel. 225/40R18 needs a 7.5 inch wide wheel. The better option would be the 225/45R18, which is allowed to be mounted on a 7 inch wide wheel.
[/b]
thanks - I forgot about that one.
re: 225/40 on the rx 8 (8 inch) wheel - would you think the 92 (instead of 93) is acceptable as long as you do not normally car lots of load?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
thanks - I forgot about that one.
re: 225/40 on the rx 8 (8 inch) wheel - would you think the 92 (instead of 93) is acceptable as long as you do not normally car lots of load?
[/b]
Should be, just bump the air pressure a few psi to compensate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/b]
any problem with fitment at 225 45 18?
is there a large variation between different brand tires?
thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
any problem with fitment at 225 45 18?
is there a large variation between different brand tires?
thanks for the info
[/b]
As I stated before, 225/45R18 is okay for the 18x7, because of the slightly taller sidewall (which allows for more flex). There's some variation between brands (as it relates to height and width, but the differences are usually slight), but all 225/45R18s should be approved for a 7 inch wide wheel, regardless of brand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts