Mazda 6 Forums banner

Speed 6 stalling issue

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DJ Raydiate 
#1 ·
Im in despered need for help with my speed 6. So i was looking If someone has some advice or have had same problem. It starts normal when cold all the time sounds Good. After 10 minutes when warmed up a bit it stalls on idle and more often when giving gas. After it reaches normal temp its hard to start. No codes and I cannot figure out what it is. I have replaced fuel pump, sensors etc. I really appreciate the help guys

#3 ·
I'd do as Doc has suggested 1st but I'm wondering if it's not a catalytic issue by the way you described it. However, I would think that a cat clogging would throw a code.

In the mid 80s and early 90s, the Chevy Camaros had an issue like this. It happened on my brothers 86 2.8l v6 as well as both of my Camaros one with the 2.8l and one with the 5.0L V8. Cold starts they were fine but after a while of driving, it would take everything we could give it to get them home. After the 1st 2 did it, by the time my 88 started acting up, there was no guess work lol.

The theory behind it was that once the honeycomb inside the cat started to warm up, the ports would expand causing them to close up and choke the engine. Back in the day a way to test this would be to let the car run and come up to normal operating temperature with the cat back disconnected. If the issue went away with the cat unhooked then you knew that the cat was bad. If it stayed then it had to be something else obviously.

Now I'm not sure on the Speed but on my 3.0 we have cats built right into the manifolds so running the engine like that with no manifolds is a no no.

Good luck and if you do find the issue, please report back and let the forum know what it was and how you fixed it. It could help other members of the forum down the road if they end up having the same type of issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.