Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk of big turbo kits, built engines, aftermarket clutches and all of the other big money projects, I can't recall reading about anybody on this or any other forum that has painted their speed 6. (Except for body work from an accident or something.) This surprises me, especially considering the thin fingernail polish that passes for factory paint on these cars. I wanna see a royal blue speed 6, and I don't have the cash to make mine the one...

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Anthony was talking about it, wasn't he?
Also,there was a thread maybe a year ago...somebody polled the best color option. That's the only instance I've seen of somebody contemplating a full paint job.
I never saw an update of that thread, and I can't remember the OP...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I want to paint mine that dark grey color the speed3 had in 09. I will most likely never do it. Because it costs too much and the paint on my car is good to begin with. But I haver not seen one speed6 painted a different color.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I want to paint mine that dark grey color the speed3 had in 09. I will most likely never do it. Because it costs too much and the paint on my car is good to begin with. But I haver not seen one speed6 painted a different color.
You want to get rid of WWP? That's heresy!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No. I love the WWP. But if I were to ever change it I would go with that color.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I agree a blue or even a gree. MS6 would be interesting.

·
Registered
471 Posts
How much are paint jobs anyways ?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
a GOOD full body paint job thats not some macco BS one is 2-3k.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You want to get rid of WWP? That's heresy!
haha agreed!

a GOOD full body paint job thats not some macco BS one is 2-3k.
Yeah I know =/

I still have plans of getting a full body paint job. I'm contemplating an orange to go with my engine bay color scheme...
But I have a lot of other things planned for this summer yet, so the paint job will probably come another year down the road =/

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I would think atleast 5-7k for a complete paint job, no BS. That includes door jambs and engine bay painting. Pulling off all trim on the exterior of the car and not just taping everything off. Also have it wet sanded and buffed so there is no orange peel.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Iw ant a blue. like my 03 six. I think it was lapis blue. It was dark and rich looking. But I would't want tit just plian blue, need some other graphix to go with it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you're going to change your car color and do it right don't they need to strip your car way down so they can get everything visible? Engine compartment, inside of the trunk, door jams, etc...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
yea, probably a good time to do iw when your doing an engine swap. Too much work, im staying red.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
IMHO it makes more monetary sense to have it repainted the same color with high quality paint and clear coat, and then put on some 3M or equivalent clear bra protection. This way you won't need the engine bay and other similar areas repainted. The Mazdaspeed colors are some of the better OEM colors.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, a good paint job would be at least $5k, because of all the labor involved taking the whole car apart and putting it back together. I had a friend of a friend with a body shop paint my old mx6 years ago for like $1500, and was very disappointed. Wrong color, crappy paint that chipped off really easy, etc. I asked for a graphite silver color and got some lame sand color that was worse than the original hunter green. He told me it was a Mercedes stock color, which was supposed to make me feel better I guess.
But anyway, don't skimp on paint if you're going to do it!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
A guy I used to work with painted his 66 Chevelle a candy apple red. Such a beautiful color, and so well done. He spent 7k on that paint job.
You'll pay if you want real quality and if you go cheap, it really shows IMO.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yeah a real paint job would consist of stripping the entire car to get the bay, etc. - which is much of the high cost for a full blown paint job. I've got the orange/black theme running in my car so I could get by with just painting the body and leaving the bay black. Granted I'd strip all the misc trim pieces to get the full body. But I'm def not skimping on the paint quality. OEM paint is shitty enough for me to repaint my car with just as shitty quality of paint & work.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
An orange ms6. Somebody make it happen.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts