Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I wanna start this off by saying I do know how to drive a stick shift.

However, I'm curious to as how to get the car to "launch" w/o having the loss in power instantly after the launch, then returning around 2800 rpm... I would also like to try and preserve my clutch...

I know that with a turbo there is a lag in the engine where power is produced. But it seems as though this "jerky launch," is more than just the turbo lag...

Curious if anyone else experiences this problem... or if I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do not know how to launch properly yet lol, I actually just went to the track my first time EVER with any car. It didn't go so well my best time was 14.8 in the 1/4 with a 2.11 60' or something like that. I understand that is not the car it's the driver in my situation lol.. oh well I will learn.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
First I have to say, slip it, DO NOT dump the clutch!
DSC must be turned off to launch, otherwise the DSC will kick in and make it near impossible to launch.

I launch mine at around 3500-4000...I have a pre-reflash ECU, however, ECU's with the reflash may respond differently. All I can say is practice makes perfect. I've had good launches at lower RPMs and good launches at higher. Dont ride the clutch for long, but do make sure you slip it - dumping the clutch can create a disaster with your rear axle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Put the pedal to the floor, when the RPM's hit 4500, DUMP the clutch. You will get low 1.8 to high 1.7 60' times consistently and will not burn up the clutch. The tires will scuff a few times and you will be GONE!!! 2nd gear comes up real quick! DSC MUST BE OFF

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Put the pedal to the floor, when the RPM's hit 4500, DUMP the clutch. You will get low 1.8 to high 1.7 60' times consistently and will not burn up the clutch. The tires will scuff a few times and you will be GONE!!! 2nd gear comes up real quick! DSC MUST BE OFF
[/b]
Wow, quite possibly the worst advice ever seen on the internet....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Wow, quite possibly the worst advice ever seen on the internet....
[/b]
+1

·
Registered
185 Posts
It works every time. 15000 miles and nothing broken. And it's the only way to get a Turbo car to make boost without having a load on the engine. Unless you have a 2-step rev limiter.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
It works every time. 15000 miles and nothing broken.
[/b]
That doesn't make it good advice... *most* owners on here who dump the clutch have broken axles and torn up the rear diff bracket....

Also, just because you think you haven't broken anything yet doesn't mean that the rear diff bracket hasn't cracked already, most of them are cracking, and then further down the line shredding axles...

·
Registered
185 Posts
That doesn't make it good advice... *most* owners on here who dump the clutch have broken axles and torn up the rear diff bracket....

Also, just because you think you haven't broken anything yet doesn't mean that the rear diff bracket hasn't cracked already, most of them are cracking, and then further down the line shredding axles...
[/b]
I hear ya. I check mine after every time i drive it hard. I think most of the guys who are having problems with axles and diff bracket were trying to break the tires loose around corners which is a big no no with our setup.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I hear ya. I check mine after every time i drive it hard. I think most of the guys who are having problems with axles and diff bracket were trying to break the tires loose around corners which is a big no no with our setup.
[/b]
Definately possible... but just think of the stress on the car from a hard launch like that :)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The turbo spools so quickly and you have AWD, there is absolutely no need to launch the car with a clutch dump at 4500 RPM.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Definately possible... but just think of the stress on the car from a hard launch like that :)
[/b]
Oh I totally agree. But it will give you the best possible launch. I dont even get a loud clunking sound like other members have complained of. I was at the track on Wed and made 4 passes. 3 were launching like i described and they were all 1.7 and 1.8 60' times. I also tried feathering it a bit from about 4000 and I got a 1.95 60' and the clutch stuck to high heaven. On the 4500-5000RPM dumps the tires take most of the abuse. They will scuff a bit when you launch to not completely shock your drivetrain.

The turbo spools so quickly and you have AWD, there is absolutely no need to launch the car with a clutch dump at 4500 RPM.
[/b]
Well that depends on if you're trying to leave a traffic light quickly, or make an all out run at the drag strip. I was explaining how to get the best 60' time at the track. If you were to launch and then wait for the turbo to spool up, you just got a 2.2 or 2.4 60' and you'd probably runa high 14 second pass just like the magazines did.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You don't have to dump the clutch at 4500 RPM to get the turbo to spool. You can launch from lower RPM without waiting for spool up and not potentially damaging your car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You don't have to dump the clutch at 4500 RPM to get the turbo to spool. You can launch from lower RPM without waiting for spool up and not potentially damaging your car.
[/b]
I'm talking about spooling the turbo before you let the clutch out. That way your leaving the hole with boost. Otherwise your just launching a low powered, heavy, 4 cylinder car with bad gearing. All I'm saying is to take advantage of your resources. YOu have boost, use it out of the hole, don't launch and wait for it to spool. Spool it first then launch, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Spooling starts WAY before 4500. And if you want full boost earlier, you can get a boost controller. There are ways to achieve those times out of the hole.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Spooling starts WAY before 4500. And if you want full boost earlier, you can get a boost controller. There are ways to achieve those times out of the hole.
[/b]
If you hold the rpms at 4500 you will not get boost. You need to floor the gas to open the throttle all the way foe the turbo to start spooling if you dont have a load on the engine. I understand the turbo spools way before 4500, but only under load. If your free revving it will not spool unless you open the throttle all the way. And I have found that 4500 will let you leave the hole with about 8 psi of boost.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Considering the original poster was concerned about his clutch, it's likely safe to say he is also concerned about his drive train - especially with the breakage / mishaps that are well documneted on this forum.

If he was requesting info on the fastest possible launch regardless of the impact on the car, I take back my earleir commments.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I am a curious about this. Mazda developed this car with the rear LSD of the RX-8 but reinforced it correct or was it a straight swap? If Mazda manufactured this car witn this much low end torque and yet developed it with an inferior differential or rear axle, than the cars are all lemons IMO.

They sold these care with full knowledge that they would undergo hard driving. They put this much low end torque in it with the understanding that people would use it.

Isn't all this stuff covered under the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty for the 2006 model? I don't recall ever reading in the manual that you should not launch at high rev or with the throttle wide open.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I never had success in dumping the clutch, the car would just bog. All my 1.7xx 60' times were from slipping very slightly at 4000-4500rpm then dump as you floor. I've never had burnt clutch smell from this car ever.

I've done over 100 track launches (Anywhere from 3500-4500rpm) and well over 100 street ones (3000-3500) in the past 13 months, clutch is still good. Everything feels fine. I know several members have had drivetrain issue's, but knock on wood, mines still ticking. I would have expected to replace my clutch by now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts