Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my recent engine swap, I've seriously been considering getting rid of the 6. I had my intentions set on a g35 or something, but those can get pricey. 350z came across my mind as well, but they're just too common, and I'm not one for being cliche'.

So I go to the mazda dealership today and talk to my buddy and we start talking about the mazdaspeed 3. It weighs 300 lbs LESS than the regular 6i, has the LSD, they had to put a torque management on the car b/c there's soooo much torque in 1st and 2nd gear, it'll do over 150 (not that it matters a ton, that's way too fast) and does 0-62mph in 6.1seconds.

On top of that, if you drop about $1k into it for the mazdaspeed intake and exhaust, they dyno'd it, and it gives it another 30whp. That's a descent gain for that price. I can't remember what he said it dyno'd at whp but, it was descent and shocked the hell outta me.

PLUS... it's a cheap car. They're calling it, "The gift to tuners"... so he said :p For a base model, I think he was saying they go for like $22k, and higher end GT model's like what, $24 / 25?

Cheap car, descent numbers. I'd rather it be rwd but... eh, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

So who's planning on it?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Would be nice. But getting a new car every 2 years is a financial waste unless your making $$$$$ or you enjoy living paycheck to paycheck. Hell I wished I waited longer on getting my 6s.

Black,

Would you rather by a speed3 now and be broke.... or save up for a few years and get something you would really enjoy like the BMW335i or even new M3 etc....

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, you're right. I'd rather save up. But the whole new engine thing just makes me a little queasy I guess. I mean, it runs great but... damn, 1st car I own had to get the engine replaced at 43k... wtf ya know.

I wouldn't buy a new speed 3 anyways. Unless they come out w/ them again in 08, which they should since they're only releasing 5,000 in the U.S.

NEVER AGAIN will I buy a 1st year production car. Too many recalls, tsb's, problems maintenance problems maintenance :sarc:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I got to drive one TODAY - remember me??? - I am the clown who gave my 6 to my wife...take a look at my thread on the 3 forum below: I have to say I am drunk off my ass on boost!!! I am truly excitied about this car!!! I read the sticker in the window and it is 95% made in Japan!!! Put and end to those Ford comparisons...test drive and trust me...you will be impressed!!! For just the cost of a CAI and turbo back you would be looking at a car weighing 3,165lbs with 293 HP and 310 ft lbs of TQ!!! You would have a 13 sec drag car with very capable handeling...f'it...eveyone should give up their 6!!!!!!

From Mazda3 Forum:10/20/06

As promised...here is what happend. My local dealer about 10 miles away called and advised that they have a black one ready for purchase. I want red. I bailed on the Dealer 60 miles away (who had the red one) and went accross town at my lesiure to check it out. The weather here sucked the big one so I did not want to travel at all. I vistited the dealer and actually got to drive it!!! Here are my impressions: I was most concearned about the stock wheels prior to the visit. They do in fact look way better in person. The offset is just right...it seems that the wheels protrude out from the body "just right" so to speak. This is from the STOCK offset of the wheel ... If I scaled down to the reg 17" Mazda3 Wheel ... I doubt it would like acceptable to the eye. I have grown very-much to more appreciate the stock wheels. This was my #1 concern about the car. The quality is good overall. Very good. If you have ever driven an EVO (as I have) you will truly understand that the Mazda interior is of a "very good quality" and does not distract from the auto in any way. The sound system was not all that concearning for me so even though it was a GT at $24,500 MSRP I never really turned it up. It sounded fine as far as I am concearned. They did not want a Market Adjustment (this is good) I once looked at the 2004 GTO on the Pontiac lot and those GM Greedy Bastard's wanted $5,000.00 over invoice at the time!!! F-Them...I found reverse gear almost impossibe to find. It is down and up to the left... This will take some getting used to... The gears are "stiff" but I think that they will loosen up. I had come off of a 2004 Mazda 6S 5 speed Drive By Wire system so as I think that this system is cable/throttle - it was totally differnt for me. The drive by wire systems have a funny lag/hesitation/rev hang problem which was NOT present on this car. Very-very happy about this!!! Once again the shifter is stiff but I believe it will loosten up over time. I spun in fist gear and must have engaged the LSD. The car shook from right to left and yes I let off some good 'ole spin. Everything they say in magazine articles about "intoxication" and "drunk with boost" is 100% right on!!! It is very hard to keep your foot off the midrange of the gas pedel. If I had to give some negative feedback it would be about the non-linear power range. You have to remember that I am coming off of a Mazda 6s 5 speed. Mazda engines in general have low torque down low and good umph up high. I do belive that this is the case here. Since the boost level does come on strong at about 2,800 to 3,000 rpm's the car does in fact seem weak at low rev's. Someone here mentioned that perhaps there will be some sort of re-flash to fix this down the road. I have to say that I very much doubt that there will be a re-flash. The car has been carefully tweaked by Japanese gurus... This seems like typical Mazda Brass doing what Mazda does...ie...low torque down low... The very best fix for this is going to be an aftermarket CAI. The stock air box is likely restrictive and once opened up...more air will equall much more toque down low to ready you for the BOOST blast at 2,800 rpm...This car is very-very intoxicating...it is true...that recent article about "may I have another" ... there is something very satisfiying about knowing you have at your disposal a LOT of throw you in the seat get up and go...Think about it...how many times will you look over to see that Evo or Sti ready to challenge you at the red light? The car seems to lift and twist with great intensity!!! This is real life torque steer!!! While it is true handleling is great - this is NOT Evo level handeling - The exhaust note was a shock to me. On my Mazda 6s I had a Magnaflow catback. The sound of the 3 is nearly but not quite as loud. I was pleasantly stunned. If this is a flow through design muffler it should in fact get even louder over time - good - Like someone else said: If you pull up to someone at a stop light - they will know you have a sports car. The sound could be compared to the G-35. I give it high marks. Third gear is truly wild!!! As described you will honestly need to hold on with both hands!!! It's like this: You shift into first ... spin the wheels ... shake the car from all the contortion(s) ... shift into second ... big boost is lifting and pulling the car upward ... then WOW shift to third and floor it ... you will be totally drunk with boost!!! One comment - The Evo would give you a turbo SCREAM while the 3 is almost silent ??? 'not sure why. The EVO is like 19.5 boost and the 3 is in the 16's ... so I am not sure why this car is so quiet with turbo ... perhaps the aftermarket CAI will improve this as well. There were some sort of front door skirts on the front right and front left door sills that were "white" ??? To me they looked odd on a black car. As I have mentioned I am shopping the Honda Si vs Mazda Speed 3. The Si costs about 22K while the Speed 3 is at 24.5K. I don't know what I will do in the end...I am going to shop at Honda tomorrow...The reason that I did not deal this car to my driveway is because I do not like black. If this car was red ??? who knows...I am working closely with the dealer to get a red one. I will only own the RED one. Personal perference...so I got to drive her today...very cool...just wanted to share...I will keep you updated with potential purchase down the road. C 3

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn... ton of postage there, but GREAT info man. Thanks for posting it up.

Man would I like the power but, I can't get over how the 3 looks. A bit too bulky for my taste, not as near flowing as the 6.

Now my friend did a damn nice job w/ his 3, making it look awesome and whatnot, but he dropped like $15k into it in one month! That'd take me like 2 years.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Damn... ton of postage there, but GREAT info man. Thanks for posting it up.

Man would I like the power but, I can't get over how the 3 looks. A bit too bulky for my taste, not as near flowing as the 6.

Now my friend did a damn nice job w/ his 3, making it look awesome and whatnot, but he dropped like $15k into it in one month! That'd take me like 2 years.
[/b]

The only cool thing about the Speed3 is that it's a hatch with some real muscle. You can't take any other stock hatch and expect numbers like the MS3 puts out. Oh does it put out I tell ya! hehehe...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
but it's a hatch, when it should have been an AWD sedan >_<

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but it's a hatch, when it should have been an AWD sedan >_<
[/b]
I'm sure they didn't want it to compete against the MS6. They actually had to lessen the power on it, so the rumor has it, in order to keep the power BELOW the MS6. We couldn't have a more powerful MS3 for cheaper than the MS6 now, could we? It just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Although I'm suuuuuure that you'll see some MS3's with INSANE number when aftermarket gets ahold of em.

Fuck no. If I wanted all go and a crappy interior sure, boxy car, and huge wing. Just not my taste, not my style at all.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Good point BM...

I enjoy the 6's looks and interior but I'm ready to move on to something that will satisfy me in a much deeper way.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I saw one today at the need for speed challange. Very nice overall. Plus you can fold down the rear seats! So you get mad power + versatility :)

That being said I got my ass beat at the need for speed challange :(

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... the stock turbo looks like shit. Although it performs its function, it can be greatly enhanced!

Dammit man... see that's the thing. They're coming out w/ a turbo for this thing before it's hardly out here in the states. They're only releasing 5,000... they should be eaten up in no time here. Or so I'd think?

You'll never see that sort of recognition w/ the regular nonspeed 6.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow... the stock turbo looks like shit. Although it performs its function, it can be greatly enhanced!

Dammit man... see that's the thing. They're coming out w/ a turbo for this thing before it's hardly out here in the states. They're only releasing 5,000... they should be eaten up in no time here. Or so I'd think?

You'll never see that sort of recognition w/ the regular nonspeed 6.
[/b]

They're definately being eaten up as they come in. Some of the guys over on mazda3forums are having a hard time claiming them since the ones that aren't already sold don't seem to sit on the lots for very long. Plus they all seem to have a waiting line.

As long as the tuning is worked out (and it looks like it will be soon according to Cobb), these cars would eventually be pushing some serious hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'm interested in the G35 as well. But not the first year production 2K7, maybe 2K8 if the reviews hold out well and depreciation looks acceptable.
Everyone says Infiniti lacks in the refinement dept and comes in behind bmw and lexus, so we'll see how the 2K7's fare.

Only problem with it like u said its mucho mucho pricey and I'm poor so its going to take up time to save.

My 6 is only 2 years old and though its not perfect, its still pretty good. I still get the odd compliment on it ...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm interested in the G35 as well. But not the first year production 2K7, maybe 2K8 if the reviews hold out well and depreciation looks acceptable.
Everyone says Infiniti lacks in the refinement dept and comes in behind bmw and lexus, so we'll see how the 2K7's fare.

Only problem with it like u said its mucho mucho pricey and I'm poor so its going to take up time to save.

My 6 is only 2 years old and though its not perfect, its still pretty good. I still get the odd compliment on it ...
[/b]

I drove a 2006 g35 sedan recently (belongs to a friend)and have to say the interior quality was very, very good. And acceleration was excellent for an automatic. Touch the peddle slightly and the car was ready to go immediately, no lag whatsoever. The steering was tight and responsive and the turning radius excellent. Ride quality was good (better than the 6) but not as smooth as the higher end luxury cars. Road noise was apparent but that didn't bother me one bit. The only downside for me was the look of the back, it takes a little getting used but all in all it's one very nice ride.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts