Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
That doesn't imply that. Mazda has introduced engine upgrades in the past that don't coincide with the gen change. Mazda has already said that the Mazda6 will be getting the Diesel soon after the CX-5 so there will be 2 engine option with the 4th gen.

Skyactiv is not just an engine upgrade. It's the brand name for a range of technologies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

SkyActiv 1 wasn't dribbled out to old body styles. It coincided with an overhaul of the entire Mazda line. If SkyActiv 2 is a significant step change (which it's purported to be), I just don't see them dribbling the tech out as incremental updates to the gen 3 bodies...or substantially revamping to Gen 4 bodies built on the SkActiv 1 platform for one year, and then slipstreaming SkyActiv 2 a model year later.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Skyactiv is not just an engine upgrade. It's the brand name for a range of technologies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

SkyActiv 1 wasn't dribbled out to old body styles. It coincided with an overhaul of the entire Mazda line. If SkyActiv 2 is a significant step change (which it's purported to be), I just don't see them dribbling the tech out as incremental updates to the gen 3 bodies...or substantially revamping to Gen 4 bodies built on the SkActiv 1 platform for one year, and then slipstreaming SkyActiv 2 a model year later.

Remember though they did "Beta" test the first Skyactiv engines in the second gen 3 before the CX5 release. They didn't have the trick exhaust manifold or the body structure, so it's possible that for test and reliability sake they may deploy Skyactiv 2 engines in Skyactiv models. If I were to guess it maybe the 2017 CX5 is the test mule for Skyactiv 2. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Mazda3 will be getting the new engine first.

Exclusive: Mazda's new engine boosts fuel efficiency by 30%- Nikkei Asian Review

Mazda plans to incorporate the new engine in 2018 in the new Mazda3, dubbed Axela in Japan, which will undergo its first overhaul in five years. The engine then will be adopted gradually by other models. The automaker positions the engine as the second generation of its Skyactiv suite of environmentally friendly technologies, which were introduced in 2011.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If they can actually make HCCI work on gasoline it will be a material step forward. I don't know about a 30% efficiency improvement (that's aggressive), but in the ~20% area over existing "high-tech" engines (E.g. Skyactiv today) is within the realm of possibility.

Essentially it's a diesel engine that runs on gasoline. These have existed for a LONG time -- the military had a diesel that had a special high-swirl combustion chamber and COULD run on gas (along with diesel and kerosene derivatives such as JP8), but it suffered terrible service life, had crap for economy, lower output and sky-high emissions if you used it. Basically it was possible to fuel it with gas in an emergency if you HAD TO, but it definitely wasn't what you WANTED to fuel it with.

This has been a nut plenty of people have been trying to crack for a good long while. It'll be very interesting to see how well Mazda does it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I found something about a potential 2018 version here, but it even says that it might come out in 2019.

http://releasedatesautos.com/2018-mazda-6/

Yeah that doesn't say much except "how lazy" Mazda is. Anyone who thinks Mazda is lazy needs to reacquaint themselves with the definition of lazy. An automaker who comes back from the brink of death by totally reinventing themselves is not lazy. Maybe cautious and conservative, but not lazy.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I found something about a potential 2018 version here, but it even says that it might come out in 2019.

http://releasedatesautos.com/2018-mazda-6/
Click-bait site. If you try to pull up "2018 Mazda 6" on a search engine query, you will get mounds of these click-baits. Some just bombard you with ads, others hide various malware. Tread carefully.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah that doesn't say much except "how lazy" Mazda is. Anyone who thinks Mazda is lazy needs to reacquaint themselves with the definition of lazy. An automaker who comes back from the brink of death by totally reinventing themselves is not lazy. Maybe cautious and conservative, but not lazy.

Agreed 100% and they have done a fine job to say the least!

·
Registered
20 Posts

Totally agree about the cautious and conservative and couldn't agree more about the lazy part as well. They are far from that

·
Registered
674 Posts
Totally agree about the cautious and conservative and couldn't agree more about the lazy part as well. They are far from that
Mazda must be doing something right. They just struck a deal a few months back with Toyota to share Skyactiv NA engine technology with The Big T. New Camry has a new "high thermal efficiency" normally aspirated 2.5 liter four under the hood. Hmmm...wondering how much Skyactiv is in there?

Flip side of the Mazda-Toyota deal could be Mazda access to Toyota's wonderful 3.5 2-GR V-6? That might be fun...:smile2:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mazda must be doing something right. They just struck a deal a few months back with Toyota to share Skyactiv NA engine technology with The Big T. New Camry has a new "high thermal efficiency" normally aspirated 2.5 liter four under the hood. Hmmm...wondering how much Skyactiv is in there?

Flip side of the Mazda-Toyota deal could be Mazda access to Toyota's wonderful 3.5 2-GR V-6? That might be fun...:smile2:
Ever since I heard about the production of the Scion/Yaris iA as a stateside Mazda 2 I was anxious to see what Mazda receives in return. I know Toyota was a big hand in funding the Mexico plant but I've yet to see anything they will use from a technology stand point. Granted, the Sciyaris wasn't a hot seller for Toyota on this side of the pond but in the best of my opinion, it was a free car for Toyota.

With as much as we hear about Mazda's reluctance to go EV it leaves me to wonder what else they could benefit from in this partnership within a reasonable future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, the turn around was evident for some time for those of us following the brand, but over the last couple of months in checking mazda news we are starting to see tangible numbers to reflect this in sales increases. I really like what mazda is doing, especially with the focus on brand loyalty, resale value, etc which helps those of us already owning a mazda and likely buying another next time.

I do think a mazda 6 with the turbo engine makes sense on a number of levels - for moving the brand forward in the intended direction certainly - more so than the mazdaspeed 3 (even though as 3 owner i'd love to see one). It does not even need to be a "mazdaspeed" model, just an option for the larger engine, which should surely interest some otherwise BMW 3-series buyers. You'd end up with a "driving matters" luxury sedan that could further compete with the higher end brands Mazda is setting as benchmarks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ever since I heard about the production of the Scion/Yaris iA as a stateside Mazda 2 I was anxious to see what Mazda receives in return. I know Toyota was a big hand in funding the Mexico plant but I've yet to see anything they will use from a technology stand point. Granted, the Sciyaris wasn't a hot seller for Toyota on this side of the pond but in the best of my opinion, it was a free car for Toyota.

With as much as we hear about Mazda's reluctance to go EV it leaves me to wonder what else they could benefit from in this partnership within a reasonable future.
Mazda,Subaru and Mitsubishi are the only 3 car companies without a hybrid model. Subaru is well funded through solid fan base across the world, consistent sales and benefits from its wealthy parents - FUJI heavy industries and Toyota Motor Corp.

As much as we hate EVs or hybrids, truth is, that's where the auto industry is headed. Ferrari just announced that all their future models will be hybrids going forward. Mazda simply does not have the money for R&D, and given the dismal sales, it will either have to start sharing platforms or borrow technology from bigger companies or just fold. Eventually, we will probably see Toyota doing what GM did in the 20th century, keep investing in smaller companies to expand its footprint.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts