Mazda 6 Forums banner

Special paint for Engin cover?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  channt 
#1 ·
i went to the bodyshop today for an estimate. I have 2 dented doors to repair , 1 new front bumper to paint, and body matched engine cover to paint.

They told me that they don't have the paint for the engine cover because it would be too hot. the Engine cover is made of plastic, therefore (they told me) they can't use the same paint as the body.

they told me that only the dealer have this special paint, and i need to go check the dealer for the material.

The total estimate was 650$ CAN. Which i think is not bad.

is that true?

#2 ·
Well ya dude first its plastic and your body is metal and secondly it requires high heat paint.

#3 ·
you can use any paint you want. The engine cover doesn't get nearly as hot as the body does in AZ during the summer... Tell him that he is a moron. I have regular old red spraypaint on mine, and 1 year later looks new

#4 ·
Well ya dude first its plastic and your body is metal and secondly it requires high heat paint.
[/b]
bumpers are not metal, body yes

you can use any paint you want. The engine cover doesn't get nearly as hot as the body does in AZ during the summer... Tell him that he is a moron. I have regular old red spraypaint on mine, and 1 year later looks new
[/b]

so i should tell him to use the same paint anyway?

#5 ·
Up to you man I wouldnt recomend it but do what you want.

#6 ·
Up to you man I wouldnt recomend it but do what you want.
[/b]

so according to you, i should buy the material fromt the dealer?

#12 ·
alright! thank you guys! I tell them to use the same paint anyway!

Thanks alot!

#14 ·
or you could paint it yourself. Feel like you added your own touch to it rather than paying someone else to do it.
For some things, definatley pay to get them done if you're not comfortable trying yourself. But painting your engine cover? Come on, it's easier than unscrewing the bolts that hold it down.

#15 ·
or you could paint it yourself. Feel like you added your own touch to it rather than paying someone else to do it.
For some things, definatley pay to get them done if you're not comfortable trying yourself. But painting your engine cover? Come on, it's easier than unscrewing the bolts that hold it down.
[/b]

but i want it to match the car color and want it to shine.

the price is included in the repair of the 2 dented doors and paint a new bumper price.

#16 ·
but i want it to match the car color and want it to shine.

the price is included in the repair of the 2 dented doors and paint a new bumper price.
[/b]
one can paint matched spray paint = $25
one can engine enamel clear coat = $6
labor cost = $0
so you'd pay $30ish to do it yourself and be able to control exactly how you want it to look.. AND still have left over paint for fuzebox, battery bracket, and about 10 other things you could think of to paint...

see, it's shiny...

#17 ·
one can paint matched spray paint = $25
one can engine enamel clear coat = $6
labor cost = $0
so you'd pay $30ish to do it yourself and be able to control exactly how you want it to look.. AND still have left over paint for fuzebox, battery bracket, and about 10 other things you could think of to paint...

see, it's shiny...
[/b]

nice!

did you get the color match spray paint from the dealer?

will the paint crack or chip one day?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.