Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 6i ATX...Im aabout to change my doors speakers out. Ive been searching all over the forums for the past week and Im curious to know what are the sizes for the door speakers? Ive seen 6.5 5.25 6x8 and 6x9 and Im getting really confused on which ones to go wit. Can someone guide me in the rite direction?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OKay guys i juss checked all my door speakers and they all look like 6x8 or 5x7...can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
177 Posts
QUOTE (boricua7mazda @ Feb 17 2010, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637651
Okay guys i just checked all my door speakers and they all look like 6x8 or 5x7...can anyone confirm?[/b]
Both will work. Most 5x7's have holes for 6x8 openings. Just go check outCrutchfield. Enter your info and you should be good to go. If you look at my sig, i put 6.5" because i got a good deal, got appropriate adapter, and acoustically round speakers have an advantage.

P.S. @ Crutchfield you can find all the reviews, expert descriptions, professional advisory help. But i would look at Sonic Electronix to purchase those items because Crutch is expensive. Cheap prices, awesome customer service, fast free shipping (get my packages within 2 days of ordering), and very reputable. Or just go to ebay if you have the know how.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx bro so now u sayin round speakers have better sound quality?

·
Registered
177 Posts
QUOTE (boricua7mazda @ Feb 17 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637691
Thanx bro so now u sayin round speakers have better sound quality?[/b]
It really depends on how concerned you are about sound quality. For most people, they would not notice the difference. But for some it is very important. ***Note-It is not a night and day difference. Like i said i just got a good deal on the stuff, don't spend extra time/worry if your speakers are round or oval.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Kyro @ Feb 18 2010, 07:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638070
It really depends on how concerned you are about sound quality. For most people, they would not notice the difference. But for some it is very important. ***Note-It is not a night and day difference. Like i said i just got a good deal on the stuff, don't spend extra time/worry if your speakers are round or oval.[/b]

thanx u dont kno how much better i feel now

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just a quick note, round speakers such as 6.5" have more selection that ovals. So it might be cheaper or just a better model of the same speaker that would be available in oval.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get wat u say about the sound... =( i bought 4 pioneer 6x8 and they sound exactly the same as the stock ones FML...I heard if i powered them wit an amp the will sound alot better is that tru?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It will probably sound better. It kind of depends on the amp, which Pioneers you got, how it's set up, and how you listen to it.

The usual Pioneer 6X8s are rated at something like 40 watts RMS. Thermal damage and overexcursion are a possibility then it will definitely sound worse if it makes any sound at all.

I think Pioneer does make a 4 channel 40 watt RMS amp. You might also want to check out a sound processor like the MTX R-EQ if you are running the factory stereo

·
Registered
177 Posts
^+1. Amp will definitely make an improvement. Just make sure to match the RMS watts and what not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thermal damage and overexcursion are a possibility then it will definitely sound worse if it makes any sound at all.
Whats that even mean? That makes me nervous. I just ordered these, but wont be able to purchase an amp for them until May. Kenwood KFC-C6882ie Performance Series 6" x 8" 3-way custom-fit car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Will I ruin them without using an amp? Im very elementary with electronics, and probably always will be lol. Oh and my car is non-bose if that matters. I just assumed I could plug and play with these until I get an amp professionally installed for them in May.. am I correct?

·
Registered
177 Posts
First of all "non-bose" does matter, basically it makes your car audio experience a lot simpler. Second, what Spazdog is referring to is the consequences of "under-powering" a speaker. Now like he said, this is only a possibility (the damage). IMO you will be fine but may even want to wait till you can get the amp too. You will only get very minor improvement w/o an amp anyhow. Lastly about professional install. Because you have non-bose, things will be easier. It is not at all that hard, simply just takes a Saturday. Start looking into the dyi's on here and you will see even if your not the most electrically inclined person, that it is a straight forward process that will save you tons of money. Ex- Audio Express around here charges (if it's not their stuff) $45 for just 1 speaker pair and $75'ish for a 4-channel amp. Gl!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help! Yeah I suppose I will install myself then! Those installation prices are redank! I had one more question and im done hassling! Will the aftermarket wiring and everything fit on the factory head unit, or will I need some type of rca plug or aftermarket adapter? I want to keep my factory head unit idk if I said that already or not. But once again thanks for the help, it means a lot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There will be some splicing involved because the stock speakers are literally plugged into the stock wiring in your door. If you plan on getting an amp for the system you will need to splice in at least two rca adapters into the front speaker wires that are in the back of the headunit. To figure out which wires are what there is a pin out somewhere on this forum for download.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts