Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Speakers that will fit'

it should be 1 1/2 inch tweeters, 5 1/4 in the front door and 6 1/2's in the back doors. At least thats in the U.S. version.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks! Where'd that information come from? Mounting depths will become important too. And who the heck uses a 1 1/2" tweeter?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The best tweeters I've ever heard in a car were in a square housing, about 2 inches by 2 inches.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I was so focused on the drive, I had the radio off for most of it. I'll have to evaluate the Bose system seperately.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My first test drive was somewhat different. The dealer threw me the keys and said "off you go". He didn't follow in the car.

So I took it for a really long drive. And had a chance to try the stereo out a bit also. Sounds great, it does...

I don't know if many dealers allow you to go on your own, but all dealers here usually do that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Don't get me wrong, I love the 6, but I really think the Bose stereo sucks.

I tested the stereo after my test drive was over. I sat in the lot and listened to a few tracks of a CD with the engine off. I tested both the Bose and standard options. Both stereos sound average, except the Bose option costs $600 more. Granted, the Bose was the better sounding of the two, but neither shined.

There is sufficient volume, but little clarity or frequency extention, particularly into the highs. Very tinny, especially in the standard model.

I suspect that aftermarket speakers with the base stereo will sound better than the Bose option. Or, at least, I'm hoping...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

How much work does the stereo need? If one got the Bose stereo, could you get away with just upgrading the speakers, or are we talking some serious system-ripping-apart?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

One of the things the Bose system upgrades is the speakers, so if you're going to replace them anyway (and, yeah, that's my personal recommendation after listening); it probably wouldn't be worth shelling out the dough for the upgraded speakers. The upgraded Bose amplifiers may have custom equilizer settings built into them, too.

Upgrading the speakers should be easy. At the worst, you'd have to remove the door panel. You may even have to live with factory crossover points for the front speakers (which means you'll need to buy a tweeter with a low fs). Nonetheless, it should overall be simple enough for anyone willing to tinker.

Edit: ...providing you know which size speakers will fit!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

My first test drive was somewhat different. The dealer threw me the keys and said "off you go". He didn't follow in the car.

So I took it for a really long drive. And had a chance to try the stereo out a bit also. Sounds great, it does...

I don't know if many dealers allow you to go on your own, but all dealers here usually  

do that.[/b]
Maybe you have answered this before, but do you have the BOSE Soundsystem Stevie?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, I have the standard one. I used to work as president for a car stereo business, and I sort of got tired of having fancy sound in the car...:sarc

I had triple amps, two 18" subs, two 10" subs, 8 speakers, 2 tweeters and a heavy duty stereo. If I ran out of gas all I had to do was open the rear doors a bit and turn up the volume...:D

No I'm an old man, a radio will do! (ok, ok, I have the CD too).:)

·
Registered
464 Posts

anyone try hooking up a amplifier to the stock HU yet?

I suppose if you add an external amp for the speakers and an amp for a sub then at least the aftermarket speakers wont be getting dirty amp power from the stock HU.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

More and more I would really like to see someone come out with various center consoles with a DIN opening. As you may have seen in my review, I'm not crazy about the siver anyway - I'd like to see some options.

Hmmm...But then we remove the radio display from the oh-so-nice readout at the top of the console...What to do...what to do...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

More and more I would really like to see someone come out with various center consoles with a DIN opening. As you may have seen in my review, I'm not crazy about the siver anyway - I'd like to see some options.

Hmmm...But then we remove the radio display from the oh-so-nice readout at the top of the console...What to do...what to do...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts