Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't it clearly stated here that there are 5x7's in both the front and rear doors?

I was also told that the front had 5 1/4's and the rear doors 6 1/2's.

A rough estimate withOUT taking the door panels off indicated that they were probably indeed 5x7's.

Now that I've bought four JBL speakers, I was poking around their site and it lists the '6 as having 6 1/2" speakers up front and 6x9" speakers in back?

Someone, PLEASE, confirm a size! I think I'm finally going to have nice enough weather tomorrow to do this myself, but if not- I'm SOL again until I can get to my father's house where there's a garage.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Speakers that will fit the '6 (again)'

in the bose system (asked the bose rep personally):
1.5" tweets
6.5" front mids
5.25" rears
9" sub

I would imagine the regular system uses the same size.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for calling.

Anybody know about the standard audio system? That's the one that pertains to me :)

I was going to take the door panel off, but I see no screws. I understand door panels come off nowadays by just yanking on them! I was also told to avoid doing this in cold weather, when plastic is more likely to break. Suggestions? Who has taken their door off?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Ok...
today I went to a friend who runs a car shop and we opened the door of a mazda6 with a "STANARD" speaker system what we found was 5"X7" all around.
I brought with me a Nakamichi 5"X7" speakers which was the best Quality that was available here in that size and they did fit perfectly in place of the original ones. the depth appears to be more than enough ( the nakamichi are 70 mm deep)
And before any one asks how did they sound; this was not my 6, so this experiment was just to see what speakers would physically fit!

Here are some Pics for the front & rear doors with stock and the Nak's:

front-stock

front-nakamichi

rear-stock

rear-nakamichi

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I've been hoping to see. Those are great pictures, too. Thanks!

So how'd you get the door off? I can see some holes where it felt the door panel was attatched, but I was too nervous to tug on my own door. I didn't see any indication as to what kind of mounts were used in your pictures- can you give me advice as to how to take the door off? I'm nervous about blindly tugging on my new baby...

I really ought to get the repair manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts

thanks MZR23

I also have a standard speaker system on my classic. I got my silver contrail hatch on Friday. (Pics will be up shortly). The sound was better than i expected from the stock speakers, but I will be upgrading the speakers very soon. Thanks again for thoes great pics.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Sorry as I wasn’t near when they opened the door fascia (it was a rented car, Mine is still yet to arrive)
But it did not take them long to get it back!

One thing you should remember is this is a 6 for the Middle East which is made in Japan and is most likely identical to Europe models, But still it might be the same over in the US

·
Registered
44 Posts

Oh yeah... as soon as my 6 arrives i'll be upgrading the stock speakers, i hope this time I'll be able to document tho whole process :)

One other thing I forgot to mention; the stock speakers were identical front & rear, they even carry the same part number!
they're the paper cone type and their magnets are rather small!

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Speakers that will fit the '6 (again)

5X7 and even 4X6 size speakers are mainly used a lot by Ford and its subsidiaries(sp?)... They are a ncie size, but I like 6X9s A LOT better.. deeper bass is one of the main things why i would want 6X9s instead of 5X7s... 6X9s may give off enough bass to where you may not even want a subwoofer... Ive had many customers say that once they got new speakers in they decided against subwoofers and enjoyed someof the bass response that most aftermarket speakers can give you.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reading Topic: Speakers that will fit the '6 (again)

Well, 6x9's could always go in the rear deck if one wanted to drill holes. A few companies even make 6x9" subwoofers, though they're hard to come by. If the '6 had 6x9's in the back, that's the route I'd go- components up front, 6x9" subs (if I could find them) in the back. But, then again, I've already decided against bothering with outboard amps...

...pending the summer, when I drive with the windows down almost exclusively (even on 95+ degree days). Wind noise demands a big amp to overcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.