Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: speaker size?

in the bose system (asked the bose rep personally):
1.5" tweets
6.5" front mids
5.25" rears
9" sub

In the regular system, I know there are 5x7's up front, not sure about the back.

·
Registered
791 Posts

...is about an inch, smaller than a lot of aftermarket tweeters. It's just crammed into that plastic wedge.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

now, last question...i hope. wouls it be possible, easier, or better sounding to just get 6" round speakers that come with many component sets?

·
Registered
791 Posts

Yes, no, and yes.

I have three pairs of brackets in the mail for this purpose. I bought them off of eBay- they were hard to find. Unfortunately, they aren't here yet- I paid for them two weeks ago! I have 5 1/4" components that are going up front- smaller, rounder drivers will give a smoother midrange, but smaller drivers typically have less low-end. Then again, the largest drivers (6"x8" components) are hard to come by.

Consequently, since I have a subwoofer now, I may be selling 6x8" Kenwood components which have yet to be installed. I might put coaxial speakers in the back instead.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I have a couple more questions to add here.

In your opinion, comparing a 6-1/2" component setup with a 6-1/2" coaxial speaker of similar build quality and materials, would the component always sound better?

Also, there must be a built-in crossover with the stock front speakers, so if I was to install 6-1/2" coaxials up front, I would need to bypass the crossover and therefore disable the component tweeters, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts

Yes, and no.

Components always sound better. Sometimes they aren't engineered for bass, though, since they're often used for just mids and highs.

The stock tweeters have a capacitor integrated as their crossover. You won't need to bypass anything.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'speaker size?'

Originally posted by stretchsje

Originally posted by Altersys

Components always sound better.  [/b]
Not necessarily.

-Alt[/b][/quote]

Necessarily.[/b][/quote]

Not a chance. I'm willing to not only bet my 6 on it, but my house as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

Originally posted by Altersys

Components always sound better.[/b]
Not necessarily.

-Alt[/b][/quote]

Necessarily.[/b][/quote]

Not a chance. I'm willing to not only bet my 6 on it, but my house as well.[/b][/quote]

You can't win. Sound is subjective :)

But seriously, coaxials are missing a cap in the center. Without that, it's hard for the speaker to create a tight seal on the inside of the cone. Air turbulance is created in the inside of the cone, and in some cases bass (or sound) is lost. Perhaps even more importantly, the rigidity of the cone is also compromised. The center of the cone is directly connected to the voice coil, so it should be the most accurate part of the speaker playing. In a coaxial design, you're taking that away.

What coaxials are good at are keeping the drivers close together, which helps with imaging. Of course, you can always take your components and mount the tweeter close to or on top of the woofer to get the best of both worlds. This can create phase issues, but phase problems propogate from so many areas of the car that it's a not something worth trying to fix.

Now, a better arguement would be this: a full range speaker can sound better than a multi-driver setup. I'd bet my house!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

i was just wondering about the round speakers because i've heard they sound clearer. i am not looking for low end at all. i would like a little mid range and nice highs. i will be adding an elemental designs 12" k series in a sealed box sometime soon. that will provide all the low end i need.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Components always sound better.  [/b]
With this in mind, you can take a set of Pyramid components, and I'll take a set of Eclipse Pointsource, and well see who gets the better sound, flatter response curve, better imaging, ect. Remember now, you said ALWAYS.

I win. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: speaker size?

haha, thats not fair entropism.... i think they meant that components always sound better when comparing speakers of the same size. such as comparing a coaxial and component speaker of the same size and make.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Hey thanks for the comments guys. I think I'm going to try for a full-range 6.5" component setup, since I want to try and do this and get the most bang for my buck, and if I'm not satisfied with the bass then I'll put in a sub.

And yeah, my original question was about similar component vs. coaxials from the same brand. stretchsje's comments make a lot of sense on that.

Since I've never installed aftermarket speakers in my car before (have some experience in home audio) I would really appreciate it if someone could answer my next question. I know that it's better to run power and speaker wire along opposite sides of the car, but if I'm tapping the oem rear speaker wires to drive the high inputs of my amp, how can I avoid running the power wire in parallel with one of the speaker wires?

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yes, of the same line, the components sound better 99% of the time. But that wasn't the argument. :) Now, there's a company called CDT, and they have an ingenius way of doing things.... They make a bracket that mounts the component tweeter on top of the midrange, effectively giving you a coaxial. CDT also makes a VERY nice speaker.

www.thezeb.com - Check them out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts