Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a shop to put in after market speakers. They used 3-ways in the doors in place of the component speakers. Left the tweeters in the dash. It sounds horrible.

I may just get a refund and take it somewhere else, but could they fix it. The sound had very little distortion and was really clear, but it seemed to have a lot of high frequency. My ears hurt after just a few songs. They spliced the wires to make the connections. Put in Pioneer TS-A652F’s.

I obviously know very little about audio systems. Most of the threads recommended a speaker upgrade but this seems like a downgrade.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
NEVER EVER replace components with coaxials. ALWAYS replace them with components. And if the shop doesnt know what speakers will fit, go somewhere else, its not that hard to pull a panel and look. Also NEVER let them cut the factory wiring OR use an LOC on the output of the amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So let that be a lesson to anyone reading this thread. Does my system now have 6 functioning tweeters?

I’ll probably fix this myself. I’ll get 4 component speakers. I guess I’ll have to use some kind of push connector to splice the lines. Does anything need jumped? Seems that there’s 3 in/3 out (from memory?) but only one in one out to the speaker itself.

Any harm in leaving it like this until I get time, other than sound quality? Will I blow out anything, draw too much current from something?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It won't hurt anything but will sound like shit.

I stuck DB351s in the dash with a bass blocker. It made a HUGE difference. The rears I replaced with Polk's, which I also like. So far I've left the door speakers alone; with the DB351s the balance was fine.

Doing the rears required fabricating brackets for them but that wasn't difficult -- just a bit tedious.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Considering that with some MDF, my scroll saw and epoxy (to seal said MDF so it doesn't pick up water) I had the brackets made in about an hour..... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I took it back to the audio shop. They had forgot to replace the tweeters on the dash. Once that was done the sound was much improved. Not stellar, but what I expected and what I paid for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How on earth does a shop forget something like that? "You had one job..."

They finished up and didn't notice it sounded like shit before giving it back to you? ?

I'd avoid that place like the plague in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts