Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4 to 5 months I've been telling myself whenever the metra kit comes out, i'd dive into upgrading my sound system. With no clear cut release date from metra on the kit, my frustration has got the best of me and im ready to start buying stuff.

Heres what I had in mind

I listen to a lot of rock, and a little rap.

Country suits my fancy sometimes when I have friends with me and we feel like acting stupid.

I don't want to be the loudest car on the block in terms of bass.

Components up front for sure, but with such a wide variety out there, I'm really not sure.

For the bass, I want tight and accurate bass. 10 inch sealed? Reccomendations on box size, subwoofer, and amp would be highly appreciated.

I am indeed on a budget, but I'm really not sure what the number is. Some of you might spend 1500 on upgrades, and think it sounds "decent" whereas I would think it sounds amazing. I have the stock system, and to be honest it doesn't sound "terrible" to me. I'm just looking for a better sounding system that will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for helping, I know some stuff about car audio, but not as much as some people on this board.

-Alex

·
Registered
200 Posts
For the past 4 to 5 months I've been telling myself whenever the metra kit comes out, i'd dive into upgrading my sound system. With no clear cut release date from metra on the kit, my frustration has got the best of me and im ready to start buying stuff.

Heres what I had in mind

I listen to a lot of rock, and a little rap.

Country suits my fancy sometimes when I have friends with me and we feel like acting stupid.

I don't want to be the loudest car on the block in terms of bass.

Components up front for sure, but with such a wide variety out there, I'm really not sure.

For the bass, I want tight and accurate bass. 10 inch sealed? Reccomendations on box size, subwoofer, and amp would be highly appreciated.

I am indeed on a budget, but I'm really not sure what the number is. Some of you might spend 1500 on upgrades, and think it sounds "decent" whereas I would think it sounds amazing. I have the stock system, and to be honest it doesn't sound "terrible" to me. I'm just looking for a better sounding system that will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for helping, I know some stuff about car audio, but not as much as some people on this board.
-Alex
[/b]
Give us a total budget and what kind of space you're willing to give up. A sealed 10" would likely work fine for what you're looking for.

Are you going with rear speakers? Do you want something that will just drop in, or are you willing to fabricate anything?

Tons of possibilities are out there. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
500-700 sounds pretty good right now. I'm willing to budge some, because I'm going to get quality products. As far as rear speakers, if they were the right price, sure.

Ideal Setup would be components up front, nice coax in the back, 4 channel amp to power that stuff. Then the sealed 10 in the trunk with its own amp.

For the trunk I'd like to mount the two amps on a MDF board on one side, then have the sub on the other.

Hope this helps.

thanks

-alex

·
Registered
200 Posts
Might be a little tough to do on that budget, especially considering rear speakers (I'm not a fan of rear speakers, personally). A single 5-channel amp would be the most logical way to go that route.

You can get away with a single 4-channel amp if you went with a front components + sub setup, and thus get out a little cheaper.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Do you have the bose or non-bose system? A decent system can defenitely be put together on your budget. Are you opposed to using lightly used amps? Are you going to do the install yourself, or are you going to take it to a shop?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the non-bose system. I would really like new stuff, but if it was an amp from a reputable source, then i'd be game for that. Also, I'm not too hot on the idea of doing the install myself, so i'd probably have a shop do it :\. I know some of you say its "easy", but i'm just not confident enough in my abilities to tear up my car.

anyways, thanks for the input dave, you have any reccomendations?

-alex

·
Registered
233 Posts
Getting a shop to do all that will make it very hard to stay within your budget. Do you have any friends that could help you do it yourself. Id do it for beer but im far away.
I did my system close to what you described and Im at around 1500cdn doing all the work myself and didnt use any over the top components.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
For 700 bucks, installing yourself, you could put in two amps, new front components, and a decent subwoofer.

At a shop for 700 bucks, you can probably get your front speakers replaced, and ad a subwoofer and sub amplifier.

I put together a nice system over at elemental designs with two 9.2 amps, an 11kv2, 6000v2 components, wiring and a box for right around 700 with their package discount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input dave. Those products look like quality. I sorta know what i'm doing, but not really :eek:. Where i would have problems at is the electrical wiring stuff, i.e the line out connector and signal wire and all that bs. I really appreciate my car, and just don't want to screw it up. I'm really going to consider buying that setup.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Elemental.. UGH. Absolute crap subs, decent amps, and the worst, most ridiculous excuse for customer service, ever. Ben Milne is a crook, and he knows it, and so does the rest of the audio community. As someone who has spent thousands of dollars with them over the course of 3 years and defended them against all the internet bashing, I really do know now how they earned the shitty reputation that they've earned.

Dave, the equipment in your sig is better in so many ways than what Elemental offers.

/ED bashing

That aside, I built my own set of DIY components (Ascendant Audio 6.5", Seas Neo tweeters, Alpine Type-X crossovers, $145), used a line out converter (Navone N-774V, $45), a 4-channel amp (Rockford T4004, $180), and a DVC sub (IDMAX $150). Built my own box out of fiberglass ($150) and needed some wiring (Knukonceptz, $40).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i got a new BASS setup in my car, lets just say its orgasmic.

13kv2 elemental design subwoofer (i could listen from soft country to a bass head rapper)
9.2 elemental design amplifier
4awg amp install kit knukonceptz.com
and a sub box set to fit the trunk made by me and my buddy.

im working on components this week and have narrowed down some companies.

EDIT:!! omg almost forgot the line out converter. davidnavone.com for 45 like the guy above said.

/ED unbashing!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am not gonna bash Ed but I feel the same as dawg about em and refuse to purchase from em just because of the owner and his past unethical practices.

With that aside, 700 should be no problem: components (CDT, ADS or maybe some Boston Components $150-$200), line out converter (Navone N-774V, $45), a 4-channel amp (Orion, RF, Kicker or Zapco ~$150-$250), and a sub (Soundsplinter RL-i 10", TCSounds TC-1000, ~$175). Build own box ($25) and needed some wiring (Knukonceptz, $40). If done at shop, you won't be able to get as much done.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Elemental.. UGH. Absolute crap subs, decent amps, and the worst, most ridiculous excuse for customer service, ever. Ben Milne is a crook, and he knows it, and so does the rest of the audio community. As someone who has spent thousands of dollars with them over the course of 3 years and defended them against all the internet bashing, I really do know now how they earned the shitty reputation that they've earned.

Dave, the equipment in your sig is better in so many ways than what Elemental offers.

/ED bashing
[/b]
you've gotta frequent one of the forum's i'm on with that kind of attitude ;). i hate Ben he's a crook as you said stole 300 dollars from me and I have yet to see any return, that was 24 months ago.

700 bucks, last years type x comps are 200shipped through ebay leaves you at 500. rear fill any basic 6.5" coaxial can work say an Alpine SPS17C2's can be had for 50-75 shipped, sub Ascendant Audio Assasin 10" 70+ shipping so say 100 max. You've got all the speakers done at 400 bucks leaving you 300 for amp/amps and install. Personally I'd say 700 for equipment and save up for install or find someone who'll do it for you. As far as amps go, I've had great luck with Viper Audio amps, or even Hifonics amps. The Hifonics ZXi-8006 is a [email protected] amp that is 242 off of www.onlinecarstereo.com. It's a solid amp that I've both used and installed with no issues to date. That puts you at 650ish shipped for all that stuff. Buy a 4 gauge amp kit, brand doesn't matter for the most part as you're not competing just look for oxygen free copper and you're fine.

That would put you right around 700 and IF you got lucky, a shop might do the amp/sub/speaker install for 150 bucks. My recommendation, get all that gear and shop around locally for install price and quality of the shop.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm probably on some of the forums you're on, blazer, and my bashing comes from personal experience with them. The warranty they have is just a ploy. If you need any repairs from them, it is NEVER done under warranty. That's not how they do business - they will always chalk it up to abuse. Despite the fact that I used their own method of setting gains, as well as an oscilloscope, with 0db test tones, they claim that three of their junk subwoofers destroyed themselves because of abuse. I think they destroyed themselves because the mechanical limitations of their speakers is WAY too low to be quoting the power ratings. If a sub can take 600 RMS, it should take 600 RMS without coming anywhere close to the Xmech.

The Audioque subs that replaced the Elementals pound so much harder and are still in one piece! This was for a friend's car, btw. Imagine how I felt when I recommended ED to them, did the install myself, and then all this went down.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
700 huh? Buy JL Audio components with a JL Audio 2-channel amp and 4 guage wiring from your battery, 2 gauge ground, and run 16 gauge speaker wiring. Don't need bass, I listen to Rock and only Rock and bass isn't a big difference from a sub. Subs are more for rap and RnB. Just listen to the song, you can hear if it was made to bump or not. I've owned JL-Audio components for about 3 years now and am still satisfied more than I'll ever be with another Infinity Kappa, or Alpine set. That's in my mom's Dodge Dakota though.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've used ED subs in a couple of installs, and been kinda impressed with them. But overall, sounds like I don't have as much experience with them as you guys do. I've never had any problem with them, so I only have positive things to say about their products and service. I was under the impression that they used to have problems, but had addressed them all. Guess I'm wrong.

I know that my current system is better, that's why I have it. I'm much more of a DIY'er than a buy-something-off-the-shelf kinda guy. Hence the Dayton sub, and soon to be Dayton active front stage. I've got my CDT's running active right now, and they sound 10x better than when they were passive, but back to the issue at hand.

If you want to throw eD out the window, there are still tons of options out there for sound on a budget. Sounddomain has some good deals

For example:
http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~ads~t~...Speaker+Systems
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ORI37205

Yes i realize that those are after Directed bought both Orion and ADS, but for 100-150 bucks, they're still a great deal, and probably sound pretty good.

For rear speakers, since it's not really worth spending a lot of money I'd just go for these from madisound.
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi...04&pid=1930

Those will sound better than any 50 dollar set of coaxials you can get.

Even these amps:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/DEI45125
http://www.cardomain.com/item/DEI45150

for the price will be hard to beat.

But seriously, don't go by what I'm saying, because there are litearlly hundreds of options in your price range.

And like I said, if you go used, you can get a lot nicer amplifier for your money than if you go new. My amps cost me like 150 bucks total. I've been using my sub amp for at least 3 years in 4 different cars, and i got my 4 channel amp for 50 bucks shipped off of ebay. Now granted, they aren't the hottest looking amps out there, but they are quality, and I know that.

I'll agree with knukonceptz for the wiring. I've dealt with them before, and their kits are very nice. Defenitely the best place to go for wiring in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
not to hijack a thread but i am in the same boat and didnt want to start another thread and get flamed, looking to upgrade and thinking about doing it myself...

sent dave an email and he said to just let him know what i need help with... I didnt forget Dave, just put this mod on back burner for now...

but one question, i have the Bose, can i do it one step at a time, like say do headunit first then speakers, amp & subs later?? I think it would be easier for a first timer to take it slow....

looking at these headunits, definitely Alpine because they make the best plus ipod ready:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bvZrNVOi5To/c...mp;I=500CDA9857

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bvZrNVOi5To/c...mp;I=500IVAD310

i would need to do something for the steering wheel controls, right?

sorry 4 thread jacking

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
to the thread starter, my shop is getting our initial buy in for Hertz audio if you're interested. www.hertzaudiovideo.com they're better than anything else mentioned in here, even what i mentioned last night lol. I didn't mention this as I wasn't sure if the shop was picking the up for sure or not. They're made by Audison which is VERY high end. I'm using hertz speakers and an Audison amp for my 6 once the order comes in. If interested, take a look on that link and let me know which line/type and i'll get you a price.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Audison makes me happy in pants!

As far as running just components up front off of an amp, it's not a bad idea. If you spent the 700 on a nice set of components and an amp, you'll get a huge improvement. But, it's not going to play low. Good sets of high power components rarely produce anything usable below 50 hz, if not 70 or even 90. Subs are just for rap and R&B is a complete crock. If you don't have subs, you're missing some of the music. That's just my opinion.

I think you could do this, get a good 4 channel amp, A nice set of components, and a sub. Run the components off of the front two channels, and the subwoofer off of the rear two channels. If you feel that isn't enough, you can get a separate subwoofer amplifier, and either bridge the amp to run your front speakers, or run all four doors off of it. It's a simple upgrade path, that allows you to make a big difference in sound right off the bat, then make some nice incremental changes. Just make sure that you have adequate wiring from the battery for any future upgrades so you don't have to re-do your wiring if you decide to get more amps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts