Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its time to upgrade the audio in my car. Ive been reading a lot, and looking at stuff that fits my car, but its now time for some reccomendations from some fellow 6 owners. Im really not into a lot of bass, a sealed 10 would deffinantly be enough. Id like to upgrade the 4 speakers before i get a sub though. Im also debating between coaxs and components. Ive got an 06, so does the metra kit fit my car? ANY reccomendations are welcome, from speakers to amps to head units. Price is a factor of course, i have around 350 right now, but i could always wait to put some more money aside. Thanks in advance for the response

Alex

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm upgrading my system as well, I'm going with infinity all around. I've decided this through reviews.

I'm using a LOC off the factory system and installing:
Infinity 6810cs 6x8 components - front $120
Infinity 693.7i 6x9 coaxial $140
Infinity 7541a 111rmsx4 at 4 Ohms $200
all from ebay

6x9s won't fit in the rear door so I'm putting them in the area behing the rear seats. I can't wait for all the shit to get here, I'm not looking forward to the install though!

I'm spending the $500 I got back from student loans. I should be paying off my CC but owell, :). I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it all hooked up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd like to find some good components that have the 3/4" tweeters... most have 1" and I want to be able to return my car to stock when I trade it in.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You should look into a good amp, even if it's a low powered one. A good amp + decent speakers will sound better than no amp + great speakers. In fact, a good pair of speakers is going to need a decent amp. Your sound quality will suffer otherwise, and you run a high risk of damaging those nice speakers from clipping.

If you want to take the time to get the placement right, components are definitely the way to go. Put some velcro on the back of the tweets and leave yourself plenty of wire so you can move them around and see what you like.

If you are starting with only $350, you might want to look for some eBay deals. I would start simple under a tight budget: head unit, a small amp, and one good set of speakers.

Start with a decent head unit - if you don't mind the lack of features (which, believe it or not, some of us actually don't want dancing dolphins on our radios) you can get a real nice older head unit very inexpensively.

Get a nice, small amp. You can always upgrade it later, or you can move it onto another set of speakers if you want to shuffle your power around.

And to your speakers. They are probably the hardest thing to change out, so I'd consider getting a set you're going to want to keep. It's probably worth it to put the highest percentage of your budget here specifically for that reason. Components or coaxes are for you to decide as mentioned, but stick with a round speaker - they will give you better sound than an oval one.

That should give you a good start. Sorry if my post / thoughts are a bit fragmented, I'm in work with a headache. :p

Oh, and about brands, since you asked - sound is a very subjective thing. What type of music do you like?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input apple, music wise i listen to a lot of stuff, mainly rock though. i might listen to some hip hop/rap every now and again, but im not looking for a ton of bass. If you have the time, which i totally understand if you dont, and are willing to help me out :D could you possibly reccomend an amp and some speakers? HU wise im a little up in the air. I love the way it looks, and i love the big buttons and stuff, very easy to use. On the other hand, its only a single CD which is a pain in the ass, and id like to be able to use my Ipod in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Let's see...okay, here come a barrage of brands. These are just off the top of my head, they may or may not fit into your budget, but it will give you a few names to keep in mind.

Boston Acoustics has traditionally made a nice speaker.

Speakers on eBay may be a bit dicey (I would be afraid they were abused) but if you can come across a set of Polk MM's, they would be a fantastic speaker for rock. I didn't like the DB components, and haven't heard the Momo line.

Diamond Audio is another brand that comes to mind as an excellent rock speaker. Again, though, they might be tough in your budget.

Clarion, Alpine, and Infinity are popular, and would be easier to get in your budget. They are commonplace, and you should be able to pop into you local electronics / stereo store and audition these guys to see if you like them. I would advise, though, that you do not necessarily listen to them back to back if you have the opportunity to compare them. It is a common mistake (mistake, in my opinion, that is) to listen to what you are comparing one after the other. Much like tasting wines and nibbling a piece of cheese or a cracker to clean the palate between sips, give your ears a rest between each set of speakers.

Amps...let's see...

Does Coustic still make amps? They used to make a real bargain - really good amps at excellent prices. Look for Coustic alongside Alpines and Kenwoods.

Check eBay for the Soundstream DaVinci. Supposedly a good bang for the buck. While I haven't heard them, the recommendation comes from a reliable source. You can also check into the Soundstream Reference line. While I wasn't crazy about them, they are popular and well liked.

If an amp is taken care of, they should last a long time. Given that, you might want to poke around eBay a bit more:

The Precision Power Art series is also well liked, but I despised them. The are clean and accurate and powerful as anything, but cold. They were big competition amps in their day. I actually preferred the cheaper line...Oh heck, what were they called...Sedona, perhaps? I heard them in a moderate system and they sounded quite good.

Something like this may be a good deal.

Otherwise and again here, you should be able to find some popular brands such as Alpine and Clarion rather easily and give them a listen.

If you have the opportunity, listen to some of the amps listed along with a pair of speaker you like.

I listed a few things that are almost surely out of your budget, but if you have the opportunity to listen to them, it may be a good idea to do so for reference. You may also luck out and find a deal on one of those more expensive items on, say, eBay.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
More...

I said that components are the way to go, and usually that is true, but I came across something worth considering otherwise...

Given your budget, you may want to consider these. CDT's are excellent speakers, but you may or may not sacrifice some imaging from the limited tweeter options.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You don't need 111W x 4 for 6"x9" speakers, waste of money with how sensitive they typically are.

Aura 4 channel amp plus go to some shops and listen to speakers. Pick some out (since you have 200 left to spend, I would recommend one set of components) and leave the rear factory or get some cheap rears if you really need rear-fill.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I like the polk momo's but I heard a set of DLS components and the mids bass in them was ridiculous never heard anything so good...and if you want a loud speaker then go with Beyma the great thing is they don't need a lot of power

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate your input, im leaning towards the Aura amp and a set on components for the front as of right now. Later this summer i might put some rear coaxs in, and then maybe a 10 inch sealed in the trunck. Anyways, thanks a lot

Alex

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, after doing a lot of reading and researching heres my list so far,

For the component speakers up front, Orion P6.2 Component Speakers

For the amp, Aura 4 Channel Amplifier

Im still debating about a head unit, but as of right now, this new Alpine with the Ipod full speed controls caught my eye.

Anyways, if anyone sees a problem with this setup, or has some better reccomendations, feel free to respond. Also hows the head unit work in the new 2006? Metra kit? It looks like the cd player in the 06 isnt integrated in the dash as it is in the 03-05's

EDIT- forgot to ask some questions, first will a 6.5 even fit in the speaker hole, is there an adapter kit or whatever? Also im obviously not very audio savy, so what am i looking installation wise for all of this? I know enough to steer clear from best buy and circuit city. Theres a place called American Radio around here, id probably take it there. But like 100 to hook up amp, 50 for speakers?

THanks again for the input,

Alex

·
Registered
26 Posts
alright, after doing a lot of reading and researching heres my list so far,

For the component speakers up front, Orion P6.2 Component Speakers

For the amp, Aura 4 Channel Amplifier

Im still debating about a head unit, but as of right now, this new Alpine with the Ipod full speed controls caught my eye.

Anyways, if anyone sees a problem with this setup, or has some better reccomendations, feel free to respond. Also hows the head unit work in the new 2006? Metra kit? It looks like the cd player in the 06 isnt integrated in the dash as it is in the 03-05's
EDIT- forgot to ask some questions, first will a 6.5 even fit in the speaker hole, is there an adapter kit or whatever? Also im obviously not very audio savy, so what am i looking installation wise for all of this? I know enough to steer clear from best buy and circuit city. Theres a place called American Radio around here, id probably take it there. But like 100 to hook up amp, 50 for speakers?

THanks again for the input,

Alex
[/b]
6.5 will fit in all four doors. I'm running Infinity Kappa 6.1 components upfront and CDT coaxials in the back. I've got them hooked up to the Aura 4 channel and its pushing the speakers more than enough. Crystal clear sound through out my car.

I had all four doors lined with second skin audio sound deadener, all four speakers were replaced, AND I had an alarm installed for $130US. That was just installation costs. After it was all said and done, the guy said I got a break on the install price cause it was a lot more tedious than he thought. I assume they never worked on a 6 before. But, I guess thats kind of a ballpark figure on what to expect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
H-Town6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing