Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wutup mazda fam',
Would iridium spark plugs vs the standard platinum ones increase performance in my 05 mazda6 3.0? I hear talk & read that it's best to go with the manufacturer recommendation & that iridium spark plugs are for turbo/supercharged engines. Any1 knowledgeable about this? :)

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
Stick with OEM - Iridium, so far as I know, would hardly make any difference. What the V6 really wants is more air and better feul. Better intake, larger throttle body, better exhaust, better manifold will net you some decent gains but will cost a pretty penny.

Alternatively, put some mid-grade or higher in the car and enjoy the slight boost in happiness :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, hey thanks for the response I appreciate it. So by the way when u say "mid-grade or higher" what r u referring to specifically? Just wondering 🙂

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
I see, hey thanks for the response I appreciate it. So by the way when u say "mid-grade or higher" what r u referring to specifically? Just wondering 🙂
Anything above the standard 87 octane. The V6 loves getting some 90 in there and will run super happy (at least mine always did).

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
Anything above the standard 87 octane. The V6 loves getting some 90 in there and will run super happy (at least mine always did).
Great points Byakuya. The Iridiums may give you a bit longer life before having to replace plugs. If the gas explodes in the cylinder then it's job done and the platinums do that fine.
I completely agree with the higher octane however. I have now committed to running exclusively "premium" as the engine does not "ping" at all when it is sipping the good stuff.
@CruzG make sure your coils are good. I recommend replacing them every 60,000mi. You don't have to buy the OEM (Denso) coils as even the set of 6 for $60 seem to work fine for that interval. The v6 is notorious for having a mild mis-fire that destroys the catalytic converters. The ECM is absolutely horrible at reporting it as well and is reluctant to report a mis-fire until the engine is darn near undriveable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wutup mazda fam',
Would iridium spark plugs vs the standard platinum ones increase performance in my 05 mazda6 3.0? I hear talk & read that it's best to go with the manufacturer recommendation & that iridium spark plugs are for turbo/supercharged engines. Any1 knowledgeable about this? :)
Go with iridium. Oem is best for that sort of thing. At least oem material

1 - 8 of 8 Posts