Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone came up across spark plug wires yet for the V6:? i was interested in changing the plugs n wires out. wut spark plugs wut u guys recomend:?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Spark Plugs n Wires?'

V6, I do not know because of the Ford construction... However, for my fellow 2.3L owners DO NOT purchase plugs and wires. I was warned about Mazda's wiring and tolerances by my friend/Mazda performance mechanic... Because of his experience building Mazda race cars, I took his advice... If you need specifics I'll ask him more about it. But if he wanted to make money off me, he could have easily slid me about anything over the counter and said here ya go... But that was not the case..

·
Registered
168 Posts

The only plugs you want to use are the Autolite/Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs.
Duratecs come with a Motorcraft AWSF32PP which is the exact same plug as the Autolite APP764. Anything else and the Duratec eats them like candy. Most people who use other plugs experience misfires, fouled plugs, and shortened plug life.

And aftermarket plugs and wires don't make much HP (if any at all). The gains people see from aftermarket ones usually comes from replacing old, worn out wires with the aftermarket ones, not from the "better" wires. However, the Ford Motorsport 9mm wires are about 1/2 the price as the stock wires are, so when your stock wires get worn, those are a good choice for replacment.

For alot more spark plug/wire info visit www.contour.org and search the "Duratec Performance" forum.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Spark Plugs n Wires?

Also, don't use Bosch. In every coilpack/DIS car we put them in, the Bosch produce a skip, when replaced with Autolites, the skip goes away.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Wait a minute here!

After doin some reading and looking at pictures...the 3.0 V6 in the Mazda6 doesn't even have plug wires!

A coil-on-plug ignition system eliminates secondary leads by positioning one coil triggered by the powertrain control module immediately above each spark plug.[/b]
So don't worry bout plug wires! You still need to stick to the Autolite/Motorcraft Double platinum plugs though. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Spark Plugs n Wires?

Hmm so does that rule out aftermarket systems like MSD Ignitions' DIS ignition boxes?

·
Registered
168 Posts

Originally posted by 84FordMan

Hmm so does that rule out aftermarket systems like MSD Ignitions' DIS ignition boxes?[/b]
Yep, I'm thinking so :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts