Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all
i just purchased a new sets of 9mm sport performance spark plug wires and install it but when i took it for a spen i smelled somthing burning in the car and when i chicked it out i saw a smoke coming out from the battery and the water inside it was boiling so i took the wires out ? So it seems to me the problem is from the battery although my battery is 55amps !!
So guys what should i do?

·
Registered
487 Posts
so i should feel special mine does? haha.

I have no idea, but maybe its time to buy a new battery and recycle the old one.

but as for performance, I'm 3 years into the car (actually car was made 3.5 years ago) and the battery still goes strong. Load tests fine, cranks when it's -10C outside.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
V6s use 'coil on plug' and no spark plug wires. The 4-bangers use traditional spark plug wires.

What kind of 6 do you have? Are you sure you replaced the correct wires? As mentioned, it's very strange that spark plugs wires would affect the battery. You may want to put everything back to normal and fix your battery problem before upgrading the spark plug wires.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Your battery has little to do with yoru spark plug wires. They get their power from the coil, and in turn from the altinator. You want to use a battery that is listed as being compatable with yoru version of the 6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
OK but how many amps should i put in my new battery?

i have a 2.3 V4. its a traditional spark plug wires but maybe the new wires needs more power !!
i'm confused[/b]
I guess you mean 2.3 I4... (Nobody make V4s that I've ever heard of.)

Spark plug wires are part of the ignition circuit. The battery is part of the starting/charging circuit. They have about as much in common as a houses toilet and washing machine. Sure they both use water, but turning the washer on doesn't make the toilet flush... :headscrat:

Batteries are rated at cold crank amps (CCA) and usually some safe charging current. (Check the specs on a replacement battery to find these specs...) From Advance Auto for our battery: CCA: 590; OE Group Size: 40R; OE CCA Rating: 590 The 55 amps sounds like a max charge current...

A batteries fluid will produce some bubbles during strong discharge, but it doesn't normally 'boil' as you mentioned. Sounds like there is something shorting out and getting hot. After the car has run run you hand over as many wires as you can find to see if some of them are hot. Maybe you hooked up something wrong when you were messing with the plug wires. (???) You can also go to an autozone or other parts store and they can put a charge meter on your battery and tell you what the starting & charging circuits are doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.