Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can walmart cut a mazda 6i key? My wife took the key there and they told her that they couldn't do it cause it had a chip in it. The only people who could is teh dealer. Are they nutz?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Can walmart cut a mazda 6i key? My wife took the key there and they told her that they couldn't do it cause it had a chip in it. The only people who could is teh dealer. Are they nutz?
[/b]

No, not nutz, they're correct. A new key at the dealer is about 125 bucks or something. Sorry dood!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not nutz, they're correct. A new key at the dealer is about 125 bucks or something. Sorry dood!
[/b]
Good lord, for what reason is this? Is it a prox key or something?

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
When you start your car, you will see a warning light in the tachometer near the '0' that looks like a car with a key in it. This is your anti-theft system.

When you insert your key and turn it in the ignition, the code is read from your key. If the code's not right, your car will not start for something like a few minutes.

According to the owner's manual, don't let the keys touch each other nor let a metal ring be wrapped over the key, because the car may not start.

Technology at its finest. Most cars today have these types of keys standard to prevent theft.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How many keys do you have?

If you have two keys, you can do it yourself. Get a new key with chip in it, ask Wal-Mart to cut for you, then program it yourself. But you must have two working keys to do this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is if walmart even sells the chipped keys (or will cut your key). Probably not though, cause they get f'ed up and ruined by one mistake and then you lose $30. Go to an Ace Hardware or a locksmith. I sell the keys for $30 and I only need one to make a copy.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Good lord, for what reason is this? Is it a prox key or something?
[/b]
The key has a transponder in it that is recognized by the car when you put it in the ignition. A "P.A.T.S." - Passive Anti-Theft System - key.

You can find one on ebay (and some other places) uncut for between $25-$30. And then you can bring it to any decent locksmith to have it cut for less than $5. But you can only self-program them (as already noted) if you have two working keys already. If you only have one working key you'll have to go to a Mazda Dealer to get one.

However, this is only necessary if you want a fully functional key.
If all you want is a spare key that allows you to open the door, you should be able to find one at any place that sells automotive keys and get it cut. The transponder is only necessary to start the engine and isn't needed to unlock the doors.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I may be wrong, but if you are lucky enough to find a locksmith or hardware store that has the right machine, they can match codes between keys so there's no need to program them yourself. I worked at a True Value for four years and we had the ability to do that. We'd cut a key and program it for $29.99, whereas a dealer charges $60+ for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts