Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody this is my first post here. I just got a 2006 MSP6 GT with 31 miles on it for $23.5 after lurking on here for a while. Has anybody considered putting a low profile fan from SPAL on top of the Intercooler to prevent heat soak? I have one on my Mr2 turbo's Greddy intercooler and it reduced intake Temps by a ton when idling. Those fans, even though they are small put out some serious wind. My Mr2 can suck a empty coke can into the side vent if I toss it in there. I am waiting for somebody to try and make it fit before I try it. They even make controllers to modulate Fan speed ect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't looked under the hood yet because I have not had time yet. But from the pictures I was wondering if the plastic casing around the intercooler could be removed, then it would have plenty of clearance. These fans are maybe a inch thick and diameter wise they are 8"-16"

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it has already been discussed. putting a fan atop the IC will impede airflow when the car is at higher speeds. it would be better to have a pull fan below the IC rather than atop. but space is limited, so the idea does not seem feasible.

take this into consideration. once the car is moving, heatsoak is not an issue. it is when the car is idling that the heatsoak begins to set in. putting a fan to cool the TMIC would only benefit the initial acceleration charge temps and wouldnt do anything once the car is up to speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts