Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pics of the car torn apart with the dynamat installed? How much will the whole car need? was it hard to stripe the interior? hard to put everything back togeher? how long you think it will take? How much you think a shop would charge? i wanna do it myself to save money.

Jose

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of the car torn apart with the dynamat installed? How much will the whole car need? was it hard to stripe the interior? hard to put everything back togeher? how long you think it will take? How much you think a shop would charge? i wanna do it myself to save money.
Jose[/b]

I think I've seen some pics somewhere around here... between 150 - 200 sq ft for doors, floor, trunk. I've been searching on deadening for a while and finally decided on Raammat. 1st off Dampifier from Secondskin audio is both better and cheaper than Dynamat. But I wanted both dampening and sound absorption foam...and for the price point, you can't beat Raammat + Ensolite.

Sound Deadener Showdown : http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/
RaamAudio Install : http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ht
Second Skin Audio Install : http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've seen some pics somewhere around here... between 150 - 200 sq ft for doors, floor, trunk. I've been searching on deadening for a while and finally decided on Raammat. 1st off Dampifier from Secondskin audio is both better and cheaper than Dynamat. But I wanted both dampening and sound absorption foam...and for the price point, you can't beat Raammat + Ensolite.

Sound Deadener Showdown : http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/
RaamAudio Install : http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=ht
Second Skin Audio Install : http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/index.php[/b]

yeah dynamat is way too expensive i was looking into fatmat. my buddy just did is del sol with fatmat and it's pretty nice.

Jose

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Jose[/b]
It's been done by a lot of members over the years. Use the Search function with the following terms: sound deadening or deadener, RAAMmat, Dynamat, door panels, etc, in both this forum and the In Car Electronics forum.

I did RAAMmat and Ensolite foam on all 4 doors and part of the rear deck. I used 3/4 of a RAAMmat roll. I'm not finished; when spring comes and the weather warms up I'll do the trunk and under rear seat.

To do the whole car, including under the rear seats (easy to take out compared to fronts), rear deck and trunk count on two rolls of RAAMmat, approx 120sq ft. It's a lot of work though. Figure on 6-8 hours per door, if you take off the inner door panel (which requires unmounting of the pwr window motors and door latch cables). Check out RAAMAudio's website for good generic instuctions:
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Is it me or is Raammat still pricey, it's ~$240 for 120 sq.ft and you'll need the ensolite which is $85 plus misc supplies and shipping. I was going to go with Fatman since it's about $100 for 100 sq. ft. I havn't heard anything negative with Fatman so hopefully it's decent.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Is it me or is Raammat still pricey, it's ~$240 for 120 sq.ft and you'll need the ensolite which is $85 plus misc supplies and shipping. I was going to go with Fatman since it's about $100 for 100 sq. ft. I havn't heard anything negative with Fatman so hopefully it's decent.[/b]
Don't know about Fatmat but RAAMmat is definitely cheaper than Dynamat and goes on quite easily, based on what my son says with his experience with Dynamat compared to mine with RAAMmat.

Checking the web I find a product called Fatmat Extreme, which is buytl based. It does sell for $100 for 100sqft. Comparing it to RAAMmat I can see where some of the differences are. RAAMmat is 60mil thick, while Fatmat is 45mil. The additional thickness of the RAAMmat will provide more sound deadening (it's mass which dampens the sound). Of course you could double up the Fatmat, but that reduces some of the cost savings. It's probably a good product, so pick whichever meets your needs.

All are butyl based ("rubber"), which is good. Avoid asphalt based stuff!

Lastly, Rick is a great guy to deal with, answering any questions or issues that might come up, and all his products (mat, foam and spray adhesive) work very well together (easy one stop shopping). $85 for ensolite foam sounds a bit excessive. You'll only need about 3-4 sq yds of the foam (I used 1.75 sq yds for the doors), so realistically about half of that cost.

BTW M6inVan, if you'd like to check out what the car sounds like with the RAAMmat installed, let me know and we can meet up sometime.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Heres mine,, its of my front doors and my trunk. I did more to the trunk than what is in the pic.. but I guess I didnt take a pic of it :p I went the cheap route and used Peel 'n' Seal.. It works pretty good, not as good at dynamat would, but it does the job well as long a you double layer it...

Door with some but not all the matting put on... I did the inside of the door skin as well , but you cant see it cause of the inside paneling..

And heres the truck stripped and bare.

And here it is bout 65% covered.. I did the whole trunck, wheel wells, deck lid and even way in the back corners of the rear fenders..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dynamat Extreme kit, I think they used 3 1/2 rolls, installed $800.00USD for my MS6. Complete cab/trunk.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
a noobie question but ... is there any concern when you put the liners/carpet/panels back on that it won't fit because of the thickness you just added?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Some more n00b questions:
  1. How much added weight are we looking at from Dynamatting the whole car?
  2. I'm thinking of doing doors only initially. Reason being, my drivers and passenger doors have that cheap "hollow" sound when they shut... especially the driver's door. My rear doors, however, have a nice solid sound. I'm wondering if Dynamatting (or sound deadening of any kind) will fix this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes if you put the mat on it will help with the noise. Also the raamat weighs 22 lbs per roll and it will take two rolls to do the car from top to bottom.

Yes there can be issues if you get too thick with the mat but for the floor you can add it and your fine but the pillers and the door panals can get tricky tryto find the places the part will hit and have less mat there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dynamat Extreme kit, I think they used 3 1/2 rolls, installed $800.00USD for my MS6. Complete cab/trunk.[/b]
Wow. So how much noise reduction are people getting with their installs? Is it just a little bit better or completely change the driving/sound listening experience?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Huge difference in audio sound and limiting road noise.

Also go eDead for the win!

Almost identical to Dyanmat at less than half the price. and they have a liquid form also, to get into those really hard to get spots....

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've heard some good things about this stuff:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com

Its supposed to be better than DM and cheaper. I read somewhere another 6 owner did this and it added about 100 lbs to his car. I'd love to do this some day. It's going to freak my wife out though when I tear apart my car. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Some more n00b questions:
  1. How much added weight are we looking at from Dynamatting the whole car?
  2. I'm thinking of doing doors only initially. Reason being, my drivers and passenger doors have that cheap "hollow" sound when they shut... especially the driver's door. My rear doors, however, have a nice solid sound. I'm wondering if Dynamatting (or sound deadening of any kind) will fix this.
[/b]
I did my 4 doors back in 04, it was alot of work but worth it. I would have shown you at the meets, but the doors have a very solid 'thunk' now. No more tiny sounds, and as a bonus, if i crank up the bass there's no door rattling.

I used this stuff to add to the list:
http://www.b-quiet.com/

They are a canadian company and get pretty good reviews, plus you'll save on taxes.

BUT it's VERY time consuming so do a door at a time and just stretch it out over a week...

I plan on doing the roof when I get a chance. If you hit the roof you'll hear a very tiny sound too. I'm guessing alot of gains can be had here as the roof could be acting like a big cymbal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
how much do I need to do : front doors and trunk?
Why do people do 2 layers? or do 1 layer of "this" and 1 layer of "that"?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
how much do I need to do : front doors and trunk?
Why do people do 2 layers? or do 1 layer of "this" and 1 layer of "that"?[/b]
i think 50s.f. is plenty for all 4 doors + 20-25 for the trunk. the butyl or asphalt mats are for reducing vibration. ensolite foam is what you want to insulate the sound from the interior. that's why you have 2 layers. 1 of each. you shouldn't run 2 layers of the same stuff unless you expect major shaking going on with the likes of 1000W subs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts